• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Question for a LEO or other well informed member of INGO. If a persons driving privileges are are suspended here in Indiana, but that person had since moved to KY, and obtained a KY drivers license, is there any type of reciprocity between IN & KY?

Also is that person still legally barred from driving in Indiana even though they have a valid (if the KY one is) license from another state?

For this example, lets say we don't know at this time, why the license was suspended. And any cites of Indiana Code would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    how does one not know why their license is suspended?

Because we aren't talking about me. Trying to do some back ground work. I have been searching the internet but can seem to find anything.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to start looking, would be much appreciated.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    For what it's worth I was a municipal officer several yeas ago. All 50 states have reciprocity with with other however if someone has a new valid license in a different state you should (should) be valid in all 50 states. There are too many scenerios as to why someone is suspended but most states will not issue you a new valid licenes if it was A.that serious.Or B. There wasn't that much time since they were suspended. You could always call that states DMV or state police.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Thanks, I have got to keep doing some research, and I apologize for being vague on the details.
    So if there was something pending in Indiana, and during that time a new license was issued in KY, then the decision was made to suspend the Indiana privledges, would that invalidate the KY license?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thanks, I have got to keep doing some research, and I apologize for being vague on the details.
    So if there was something pending in Indiana, and during that time a new license was issued in KY, then the decision was made to suspend the Indiana privledges, would that invalidate the KY license?

I can't give you a yes or no answer. A lot of it is an automatic suspention but then alot of it can depend on several factors. The seriousness of the reason, If the local jurisdiction decides to pursue charges etc etc etc. If you are that concerned I would just check on your status with your state every so often.

good luck

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I can't give you a yes or no answer. A lot of it is an automatic suspention but then alot of it can depend on several factors. The seriousness of the reason, If the local jurisdiction decides to pursue charges etc etc etc. If you are that concerned I would just check on your status with your state every so often.

good luck

Thanks shooter, like I said not dealing with my driving privileges, but being a civilian it limits me to what records I can get to. Plus being the weekend not a lot can be done right now so figured I would ask people around here.

Truth be told I am not even sure of the whole story yet.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville

No....

As I understand it, each state automatically honors other states licenses.
    unless there is a reason not to.

Example,
    Say I have an Indiana license, and I get a DUI in Kentucky.
    Kentucky can take away the right to drive in their state, but not in any other state.
    I can still drive in the other 49 states.

Say I have a Indiana license, and get a DUI in Indiana, then I can no longer drive in any state.

Say I live in Indiana, get a DUI, lose my license, then move to Kentucky and establish residency, then I can get a Kentucky License and drive in all states except Indiana.

Your mileage may vary.....

Top Bottom