• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    My vehicles were gone through over the weekend while we slept. we live out in the country and have a fairly long drive so it took some balls to come all the way to the house to rummage through my car to steal $2 in change and a cordless drill. So what is a good driveway alarm? I would also like to know if anyone has outdoor motion activated cameras and how well they see at night.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We have these and have a few of the sensors. I have two sensors in the drive since it is rather long. If just one goes off, I know it is probably deer crossing. If both go off, something or someone is coming up the drive. I don't always hear them when I'm sleeping so it depends on how light of a sleeper you are, but they beep pretty loudly. Each zone/sensor has a different alarm. One beep for zone 1, two for zone 2, three for zone 3, etc. We have them near the entrances to our outbuildings as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have these and have a few of the sensors. I have two sensors in the drive since it is rather long. If just one goes off, I know it is probably deer crossing. If both go off, something or someone is coming up the drive. I don't always hear them when I'm sleeping so it depends on how light of a sleeper you are, but they beep pretty loudly. Each zone/sensor has a different alarm. One beep for zone 1, two for zone 2, three for zone 3, etc. We have them near the entrances to our outbuildings as well.

Thanks Mom. I have you mapped out now.....:shady:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I have a mighty mule sensor on my drive. Works well if somebody drives up the driveway. Also goes off occasionally in the middle of the night if an electrical storm is passing through. Wouldn't detect somebody walking.

We have cameras as well, but they are pretty run of the mill. IR flood lights can help quite a bit with the NV on these.

Good luck!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My vehicles were gone through over the weekend while we slept. we live out in the country and have a fairly long drive so it took some balls to come all the way to the house to rummage through my car to steal $2 in change and a cordless drill. So what is a good driveway alarm? I would also like to know if anyone has outdoor motion activated cameras and how well they see at night.
    Seriously my recommendation African Goose, and a Jackass.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We've got this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-...qid=1491955560&sr=8-3&keywords=driveway+alarm

I'm thinking of doing as mom mentioned above--putting a second one on the drive so we can tell if it's just a dog or deer setting it off or a car. It is aggravating when it goes off in the night and you get up and can't see anything going on.

We were going to buy the Chamberlain but then a friend had the ones we use...they had bought it and never set it up so we got a deal on it. As long as I use Lithium batteries, it works well and the batteries last at least 6 months. We had just one in the drive and I was constantly looking to see who was out there. It got to where we ignored it so that made it pointless to have. Too many critters in my driveway. I have them far enough apart that something crossing the drive won't set it off but something coming up the drive will still trigger it and give me time to look out the window or door before they are at the house. It also has a pretty good range since the alarm in the house is about 700 feet from the first sensor.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We were going to buy the Chamberlain but then a friend had the ones we use...they had bought it and never set it up so we got a deal on it. As long as I use Lithium batteries, it works well and the batteries last at least 6 months. We had just one in the drive and I was constantly looking to see who was out there. It got to where we ignored it so that made it pointless to have. Too many critters in my driveway. I have them far enough apart that something crossing the drive won't set it off but something coming up the drive will still trigger it and give me time to look out the window or door before they are at the house. It also has a pretty good range since the alarm in the house is about 700 feet from the first sensor.

I can't tell you how many times ours goes off and when you go look, it's one of the neighbor's dogs coming down the driveway. :D

The way the land and drive lie where our driveway alarm is located, we had to put it kind of low---so we pick up more wild life than we probably should. If I put a 2nd one up, the spot I envision putting it would all me to place it higher and hopefully over the top of most dogs. The deer don't usually walk the length of the drive but I've seen dogs do it on a number of occasions.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I can't tell you how many times ours goes off and when you go look, it's one of the neighbor's dogs coming down the driveway. :D

The way the land and drive lie where our driveway alarm is located, we had to put it kind of low---so we pick up more wild life than we probably should. If I put a 2nd one up, the spot I envision putting it would all me to place it higher and hopefully over the top of most dogs. The deer don't usually walk the length of the drive but I've seen dogs do it on a number of occasions.

I have had deer and turkey walk up the drive, but more often, it is one of my cats. I have one that goes up and down it a couple times a night. Ours are both hanging above my head and still pick up small animals. Even with the occasional false alarm, I still really like having notice if someone is driving up so the annoyance of dealing with those false alarms are outweighed by the benefit of knowing someone is here.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Save your money and get the harbor freight one for $9.99 on sale. Paint it camo brown and put it on a tree. Best money ever spent. I'm on my second one now. First one lasted 3 years I'm ok with that. As far as cameras do get a complete system that records ALL THE TIME. If you can get the new megapixel cameras. Amazing video quality.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Save your money and get the harbor freight one for $9.99 on sale. Paint it camo brown and put it on a tree. Best money ever spent. I'm on my second one now. First one lasted 3 years I'm ok with that. As far as cameras do get a complete system that records ALL THE TIME. If you can get the new megapixel cameras. Amazing video quality.
    I'm guessing this one?

Wireless Security Alert System

Top Bottom