• ...and so much more!
  • Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    I get the two different amounts when I put the Tip on the Credit Card at restaurants ... shows up as the amount without the Tip that day - then changes to full amount 3-5 days later and the original charge disappears
    This sounds like a reasonable explanation. I'm more curious about only filling out front of the 4473 and being on the way out the door. Was he over anxious and started to leave before the 4473 was run?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I had 3 identical charges from chick-fil-a for the same amount and time, two eventually came off after about a week and a half.
    Drive thru said their system was "slow" and having connection problems as the excuse.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Update. The store called him last night before he drove over and promised to get it handled without him having to come over. Today they called and said it should be corrected.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    This sounds like a reasonable explanation. I'm more curious about only filling out front of the 4473 and being on the way out the door. Was he over anxious and started to leave before the 4473 was run?
    As I understand it the transaction was done and he was almost to his vehicle when they looked at the 4473 and seen it was not complete. Was not there to see what happened nor is it a store that I have dealt with but most places do not hand you the gun until all is complete.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort
    As I understand it the transaction was done and he was almost to his vehicle when they looked at the 4473 and seen it was not complete. Was not there to see what happened nor is it a store that I have dealt with but most places do not hand you the gun until all is complete.

That kind of sloppiness would make me very leery about ever doing business with this establishment

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Our son got his debit card compromised TWICE at Fort Bragg, NC, and had the hassle of a) disputing and reversing the charges with the bank (USAA, and they were good), and b) getting a new debit card sent to him at his unit address (through the extra delay of the Army mail system). He was in the field and couldn't check his bank account, so there were several days of unauthorized transactions when he was compromised the second time. Kid lives in the barracks, has no expenses to speak of, and has a healthy balance for the thieves to tap in to.

One of the unauthorized charges was for BDSM items from an Etsy seller in the UK. ;)

He has FINALLY taken our advice and applied for a credit card, with all the protections noted, upthread.

So, not exactly on point (double charged for gun on cc?), but illustrative of why one should routinely use a credit card and not a debit card.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Makes you wonder what they would have done had he already left? Called him back to complete it further? Seems like having an incomplete 4473 could be bad news for an FFL during an ATF audit.

Most stores that I have seen seem to have a second person review the 4473 to assure it's complete.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We get push notifications for all CC transactions. Have to approve above a set amount, and they auto-decline above another amount (we can change that amount on the fly when we KNOW we are making larger purchase - likely literally right before we swipe the card). We can decline/dispute any transaction at the push of a button.

It is actually pretty funny. Swipe. DING. A few moments later I get a txt from my wife, "Was that you?". "Yes, dear. I hit approve."

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort
    Most stores that I have seen seem to have a second person review the 4473 to assure it's complete.

So the person behind the counter, who's supposed to be taking care of you and most likely also handed you the form to begin with, isn't deemed competent enough to verify the form's been properly completed without involvement of a 2nd person? Maybe the store should step into the 21st century and spend a couple bucks for the capability to do the form online? IDK

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Makes you wonder what they would have done had he already left? Called him back to complete it further? Seems like having an incomplete 4473 could be bad news for an FFL during an ATF audit.

The LGS that I use always does a second check by another person than the sales person that initially did the paperwork to verify that everything on the 4473 is correct.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So the person behind the counter, who's supposed to be taking care of you and most likely also handed you the form to begin with, isn't deemed competent enough to verify the form's been properly completed without involvement of a 2nd person? Maybe the store should step into the 21st century and spend a couple bucks for the capability to do the form online? IDK
    Second pair of eyes. Seems reasonable to me if they are not going to use the online version and have the form checked automatically. Done in all kinds of lines of work when the importance is high, especially for regulatory purposes.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Second pair of eyes. Seems reasonable to me if they are not going to use the online version and have the form checked automatically. Done in all kinds of lines of work when the importance is high, especially for regulatory purposes.
    USDS has me fill out the paper 4473, but instead of calling it in, they do that part online. Is that the same thing, or are there some shops that actually have the customer fill out the 4473 online?

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    USDS has me fill out the paper 4473, but instead of calling it in, they do that part online. Is that the same thing, or are there some shops that actually have the customer fill out the 4473 online?
    I've seen shops that have terminals available for customer to fill out online themselves.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort
    OK, I get that. Point well taken.

All the RK's that I've ever been in have multiple PC's set up for filling out online, and most of the small shops I've visited, too. Only the most recent (a small LGS) had me fill out actual paper. Threw me for a loop when they handed me a pen and said "fill in the blanks"! Used to doing most everything electronically these days I guess.

tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio
    Walmart hit our debit card for 3 chages totaling $245 made in another state. Our debit card had not been used or out of the safe for 16 months. They claimed they had the security code to okay the purchases??????. It took three months to get it straightened out

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    OK, I get that. Point well taken.

All the RK's that I've ever been in have multiple PC's set up for filling out online, and most of the small shops I've visited, too. Only the most recent (a small LGS) had me fill out actual paper. Threw me for a loop when they handed me a pen and said "fill in the blanks"! Used to doing most everything electronically these days I guess.
    Most of what I buy are C&R guns, so with my license I don't have to fill out a 4473 for those.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    My favorite LGS still has me fill out a paper form and a second person double checks. I have bought enough there they should have pre printed form with all my data with just the date and what I bought blank. The only thing that has changed in the last ten years is my weight and is that really any of the governments business.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Walmart hit our debit card for 3 chages totaling $245 made in another state. Our debit card had not been used or out of the safe for 16 months. They claimed they had the security code to okay the purchases??????. It took three months to get it straightened out
    Must have a ****** card.

I've had problems twice. And both times I called the card, and it was cancelled while I was on the phone with them. I was online at the time, and hit refresh, and boom it's done.
    And they didn't contest the charges.

tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio
    I should have explained that the debit card is through our local bank linked to our checking account. That was scary. I have had some fraudulent charges made on my cc over the years that were easy fix, but this not so much

Top Bottom