• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    A friend at work bought his first carry gun last Saturday and called me up to let me know what he bought (M&P Bodyguard) and discuss a few things. Today he checks his account and after a call to the bank figures out the gun store charged him twice. Once for the gun then again for the gun and a fee for using a card to pay. So he called the store and they blamed the cc machine and told him to bring his bank statement and they will straighten it out. So he left work early to get there before the store closed.
    I will update tomorrow after I get off work but before 9:30 with how things went.

My opinion is if he had been charged the same price twice I could believe machine error but with the 2 different amounts it seems suspicious. I do not know the name of the shop but can say it was not in Pike County or Dubois County.

Anyone have this happen to them before?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    A lot of shops charge more for credit card transactions than cash. Often between 3-5% of the purchase price. They're covering the cost of the processing fee. Perhaps one charge was for the gun, the other was for the added CC fee.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    My understanding was the first charge was just the gun and the second was the gun and the fee but I will double check tomorrow. I have no problem with the fee as long as it is charged up front. If they hit his card with the fee after he left then I have a big problem.

The whole transaction was a little odd anyway. His first time buying a gun at a dealer, he filled out the 1st page of the 4473 and did not know there was more on the second page until he was walking out the door with the gun to his vehicle.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I routinely check my account number when depositing a check in the bank, especially via drive-thru, and a few years ago, I deposited a rather large check into my account and, upon checking the last four (4) digits of the account number, it was not my account!
    I went into the branch and showed it to the manager, who checked my account and verified that the funds had NOT been deposited into my account. He then contacted security and did a joint back-check of the drive-thru tellers and, wa-la, the funds had been deposited into a different account. They transferred the correct amount of the funds into my account (based on the copy of the check I had made prior to depositing the funds) and I was asked to sign a form and write a statement about what had occurred!
    I found out later that two (2) of the tellers had opened a ficticious account and had deposited over $6,000 in it in just one day!
    We switched to a credit union soon after that! Crazy!

68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    Not on a gun, but an expensive necklace for the wife's birthday.

I alerted the jewelry store...

They said the same thing that the gun store guy said...

Bring in bank statement yada yada.

Uhhh no.

I just disputed both charges with Discover and let their investigation sort it out.

I'm not doing any leg work, wasn't my mistake.

They called the next day when they were reversed.

I sent discover a copy of my receipt a few days later for the correct amount.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I used my card for a deposit on an ordered gun. When my CC bill came, there was a charge for $4.79 to IMGAME. I thought it must be something for INDNR for whatever. I called and the store said no such thing. Investigating I found someone in the parking lot picked up on it and hoped I was someone who justs pays bills W/O checking such a small amount. Typed it in and found out it had been happening for 10 years and no one could catch them. Cancelled card and moved on.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not on a gun, but an expensive necklace for the wife's birthday.

I alerted the jewelry store...

They said the same thing that the gun store guy said...

Bring in bank statement yada yada.

Uhhh no.

I just disputed both charges with Discover and let their investigation sort it out.

I'm not doing any leg work, wasn't my mistake.

They called the next day when they were reversed.

I sent discover a copy of my receipt a few days later for the correct amount.
    This. I had this happen on an auto repair and the mechanic said he didn't see anything on his side (I mentioned it to him immediately as I get notifications and it charged like 3 times ). He just said to dispute it, which I did.

Surprised me that he said dispute it as I had understood too many disputes caused a small business problems.

But 100% agreed, other than an initial attempt to notify i'm not doing all that legwork either. That's just one reason why I use a credit card as opposed to debit, etc

Occasionally I've seen a double authorization fall of with no intervention, but I doubt that happens for the OP's friend since it was 2 different amounts.

I'm guessing they ran it the first time and forgot to add their fee and then ran it again without backing it out. That said, card company may well make him wait if it is still a pending charge until it hits the account to dispute it.

Last edited:

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I routinely check my account number when depositing a check in the bank, especially via drive-thru, and a few years ago, I deposited a rather large check into my account and, upon checking the last four (4) digits of the account number, it was not my account!
    I went into the branch and showed it to the manager, who checked my account and verified that the funds had NOT been deposited into my account. He then contacted security and did a joint back-check of the drive-thru tellers and, wa-la, the funds had been deposited into a different account. They transferred the correct amount of the funds into my account (based on the copy of the check I had made prior to depositing the funds) and I was asked to sign a form and write a statement about what had occurred!
    I found out later that two (2) of the tellers had opened a ficticious account and had deposited over $6,000 in it in just one day!
    We switched to a credit union soon after that! Crazy!
    After my bank was brought out by a different bank, my check that was deposited in a ATM was "miskeyed and was deposited into the wrong account" 3-4 times, the last time it happened I went to my local branch, not the branch that had the ATM I used in it & the teller fixed it without talking to anyone. All the other times, I called on Monday to get it fixed. After i talked to someone at the bank headquarters, it never happened again.

Same bank. I was in the branch for something and an older lady had a deposit slip from a teller, the cash she deposited the day before never made it to her account, I left before they found out what happened.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I get the two different amounts when I put the Tip on the Credit Card at restaurants ... shows up as the amount without the Tip that day - then changes to full amount 3-5 days later and the original charge disappears
    That's a little different in that when they auth the card, the business doesn't know what your actual final charge will be as tip is up to you. They auth the card for the total on the bill, then finalize the charge with the full amount + tip.

The OP's friend could have 2 auths and one fall off, but it would be because they ran it twice and potentially backed the first one off or cancelled it, but it just hasn't dropped off his account yet.

Top Bottom