• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's hard to get bad cops fired via unions. Your personnel jacket is not completely protected from the FOIA, especially if it has to do with negligence or performance on the job. I can't cite the cases on here, but the info has been released before.

Being through a few processes... I've seen the equal opp employer crap with departments. Hell, I tested with a dept. in Hamilton county and watched them fail guys for being a push up short on the exit standards. But, two females that couldn't get close to meeting the standards were allowed back for the written later that day. I watched guys walk out when they noticed that.

So it's the unions' fault but you choose to empower them by paying your dues?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The LAPD Police Union is the problem. They are extremely powerful and California is a very union friendly state. Plus, LAPD is required to maintain certain levels of black/Hispanic/female officer levels thanks to the Clinton meddling. LAPD is forced to recruit individuals who would never be hired in other departments. They often have criminal records (Raphael Perez and the Ramparts scandal a few years ago) and/or cannot meet standards (so the bar is lowered further). Candidates who would excel at police work don't work for LAPD. It is the bottom of the barrel and where you go as a last resort.

Wow that makes sense. When the standards get lowered bad things happen.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The LAPD Police Union is the problem. They are extremely powerful and California is a very union friendly state. Plus, LAPD is required to maintain certain levels of black/Hispanic/female officer levels thanks to the Clinton meddling. LAPD is forced to recruit individuals who would never be hired in other departments. They often have criminal records (Raphael Perez and the Ramparts scandal a few years ago) and/or cannot meet standards (so the bar is lowered further). Candidates who would excel at police work don't work for LAPD. It is the bottom of the barrel and where you go as a last resort.

Is there any workable solution of which you are aware, aside from dressing in ceramic and Kevlar when traveling to LA? My guess is that the influences of the union, the ambient environment in California, and the shadow of Billy Jeff make a complex weave that I have not had the occasion to study in any particular depth.

I would also hold up as my primary concern seeing to it that this incident doesn't become the new standard for pursuing fugitives. It is very difficult given that for many people separating matters of law and principle from the person of Dorner is just beyond them. It seems that in the minds of many, defending the general population from having an unrestrained hunt worthy of a war zone in the event of becoming wanted cannot be separated from defending the indefensible.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    So it appears that the now departed thug was nothing but bumbling idiot. I just saw a Fox news report that he barely passed the academy requirements. They said he had a negligent discharge shooting himself in the hand during his academy time and was always in trouble for this and that. At the time he was fired he was just barely qualified to be in a patrol car by himself.

Funny how some of the media held him out to be some super duper ninja commando. Anyone can ambush kill almost anyone. As more information becomes available it seems that this clown was just that...a clown. Oh yea BTW...he is dead.:yesway:

He was a soldier until honorably discharged on Feb 1, 2013.... A global force for noog[sic].

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Edit: Wrong branch, sorry.

I don't get it.

We're often told that cops go through strenuous evaluations and background checks to keep or weed the bad cops out. We're often told that cops won't cover for bad cops. Now this nutjob is being thrown under the bus for being a bad cop. Only problem is that it took them 4 years to figure that out. So this guy passed the scrutiny of LAPD and the Navy. I'm being told it's not the LAPD management's fault but the union's for protecting him. Who exactly is the police union? If the police union is so bad and only protect the bad ones, why do the majority of good cops send their dues in every paycheck? Why don't the good cops take the union back?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    At this point, apportioning blame seems to be a suspect activity. Between the department, the union, federal kibitzing, and the collective actions of individual officers, I am sure there is plenty to go around. We likely could sit here arguing this until the second coming of Christ without accomplishing anything. The important issues are remedying the immediate problem and preventing this from becoming the 'proof' that we need more of our rights infringed or flagrantly disregarded.

Over time, I have seen indicators that the politics in LA have a deleterious effect on maintaining an effective police force by virtue of sacrificing effectiveness in favor of following the leftist agenda. We all know how Billy Jeff could screw up a two car funeral procession. I am not sure what the union is like, but find Wabbit's view to be a very reasonable assessment going by what I know to be generally true and deferring to personal experience that he has which I do not. As for an honest-cop hostile takeover of the union, I have no idea if such a thing would have any chance of actually happening, but it is an interesting possibility. I would find an earnest effort refreshing. In any event, more of the same will certainly yield more of the same.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So it appears that the now departed thug was nothing but bumbling idiot. I just saw a Fox news report that he barely passed the academy requirements. They said he had a negligent discharge shooting himself in the hand during his academy time and was always in trouble for this and that. At the time he was fired he was just barely qualified to be in a patrol car by himself.

Funny how some of the media held him out to be some super duper ninja commando. Anyone can ambush kill almost anyone. As more information becomes available it seems that this clown was just that...a clown. Oh yea BTW...he is dead.:yesway:

He was an ex cop. He couldn't meet the standard and got fired so their system worked

Taking 4 years to get rid of the bumbling idiot you described above is the system working? How much damage does a bad cop do in 4 years? And you honestly can't see why some of us distrust police departments in weeding out the bad guys?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    At this point, apportioning blame seems to be a suspect activity. Between the department, the union, federal kibitzing, and the collective actions of individual officers, I am sure there is plenty to go around. We likely could sit here arguing this until the second coming of Christ without accomplishing anything. The important issues are remedying the immediate problem and preventing this from becoming the 'proof' that we need more of our rights infringed or flagrantly disregarded.

Over time, I have seen indicators that the politics in LA have a deleterious effect on maintaining an effective police force by virtue of sacrificing effectiveness in favor of following the leftist agenda. We all know how Billy Jeff could screw up a two car funeral procession. I am not sure what the union is like, but find Wabbit's view to be a very reasonable assessment going by what I know to be generally true and deferring to personal experience that he has which I do not. As for an honest-cop hostile takeover of the union, I have no idea if such a thing would have any chance of actually happening, but it is an interesting possibility. I would find an earnest effort refreshing. In any event, more of the same will certainly yield more of the same.

The bolded will never happen. My mom was a teacher for almost 30 years. She was one of those who past students would seek out and thank her for preparing them for college and being such a good teacher. She was dedicated and one of the best there was. In her last several years of teaching, she led the school union and attended many of the state and national union conventions. She loathed the bad teachers and the teachers who didn't join the union and made no bones about who they were. But when the rubber met the road, she'd defend them til the end. Why you ask? Because the system that protected these deadbeats was more important for her own protection than actually doing right by the system. She was more than willing to protect the bad to protect herself than do what was right. Whether a trade unionist, a teacher, or a policeman, they all claim it's only a very small minority of members that make the union look bad. If that were truly the case, they should have no problem taking the union over and fixing it.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    The bolded will never happen. My mom was a teacher for almost 30 years. She was one of those who past students would seek out and thank her for preparing them for college and being such a good teacher. She was dedicated and one of the best there was. In her last several years of teaching, she led the school union and attended many of the state and national union conventions. She loathed the bad teachers and the teachers who didn't join the union and made no bones about who they were. But when the rubber met the road, she'd defend them til the end. Why you ask? Because the system that protected these deadbeats was more important for her own protection than actually doing right by the system. She was more than willing to protect the bad to protect herself than do what was right. Whether a trade unionist, a teacher, or a policeman, they all claim it's only a very small minority of members that make the union look bad. If that were truly the case, they should have no problem taking the union over and fixing it.

So your mom was a union thug? :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom