• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Papers, please! The town of Thousand Oaks, CA, is sending government agents door to door to check that people have a paid permission slip to own a dog. Additionally, they want proof that you've injected that dog with government mandated chemicals.

Dogs in Thousand Oaks checked for licenses, vaccinations
    Animal control officers are set to go door to door Wednesday in Thousand Oaks to make sure dogs are licensed and vaccinated. Authorities said dog owners will need to provide a copy of current rabies vaccination as well as spay or neuter certificates.

Owners will also have to show proof that they're city residents.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    They are free to come up my driveway/sidewalk and knock on my door, as that alone isn't trespassing. I am equally free to not open my door. Unless they plan on busting the door in to strip search my dog...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Easy enough to fix. Vote out the current City Council over the next few election cycles, and vote in someone who will repeal this ordinance. If you can't find a candidate you like, run yourself. If enough dog owners disagree with this ordinance, this should be a piece of cake.

Of course, if enough dog owners WANT this ordinance, well, you can thank your neighbors.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Of course, if enough dog owners WANT this ordinance, well, you can thank your neighbors.

Last time I offered up the idea that democratically determined legislation was what the people wanted I was called unpatriotic. :n00b: It's Commiefornia. Can't say I'm surprised. Nor do I have much sympathy.

I think people's right to property & privacy is being violated.

These laws are not fit to exist in America.

Dude, you can't rape the willing. On some level, people have asked for this. Majority rule is still an underlying premise of a democratic process. States and municipalities have every authority to do this. The problem lies not with the elected officials or the laws they promulgate, but with the people who accept these kinds of laws.

These laws are pretty ruff. They should quit hounding these poor people.

Neg rep. Neg rep. Those were just dog-gone awful. :D

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Dude, you can't rape the willing. On some level, people have asked for this. Majority rule is still an underlying premise of a democratic process. States and municipalities have every authority to do this. The problem lies not with the elected officials or the laws they promulgate, but with the people who accept these kinds of laws.

That's why a democracy, mob rule, will always bring about tyranny. We are supposed to be a republic focused on protecting rights, not oppressing harmless people because it is the will of the majority.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    That's why a democracy, mob rule, will always bring about tyranny. We are supposed to be a republic focused on protecting rights, not oppressing harmless people because it is the will of the majority.

Democratic PROCESS. Not democracy. A republic still operates under majority rule too. It just whittles the numbers of players down by grouping a bunch under one. Functionally, they are no different. Practically, they are no different.

The states were never intended to be as limited in their ability to pass legislation as the federal .gov was. You may not like the idea, but the ability to be free also means the ability to be stupid and enslave yourself.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Democratic PROCESS. Not democracy. A republic still operates under majority rule too. It just whittles the numbers of players down by grouping a bunch under one. Functionally, they are no different. Practically, they are no different.

The states were never intended to be as limited in their ability to pass legislation as the federal .gov was. You may not like the idea, but the ability to be free also means the ability to be stupid and enslave yourself.

You have to forgive him. He's still suffering from toxic shock from his ordeal.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    They have become functionally identical, but by design, they shouldn't have to be. The trouble is that rights are not understood, honored, or protected by any of the 3 branches of government.

It is true that states have a broader range of room to pass laws than the Feds should. But inside the home is a bridge too far.

If I were a Florida justice I would strike the law down because it violates liberty, property rights, and privacy. I am sure the state of Florida guarantees these things in their constitution. I wholeheartedly believe that these kind of intrusions are unconstitutional and should be struck down.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    They have become functionally identical, but by design, they shouldn't have to be. The trouble is that rights are not understood, honored, or protected by any of the 3 branches of government.

Correction: they are not understood, honored, or protected by the people. Our government is a reflection of us, nothing more, nothing less.

It is true that states have a broader range of room to pass laws than the Feds should. But inside the home is a bridge too far.

If I were a Florida justice I would strike the law down because it violates liberty, property rights, and privacy. I am sure the state of Florida guarantees these things in their constitution. I wholeheartedly believe that these kind of intrusions are unconstitutional and should be struck down.

The problem with your position is that you effectively negate the power of the people to govern themselves. Your standard of liberties is not at fault (and I agree with them). The idea that they can never, ever be surrendered willingly is.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Something that even as a kid I could never understand. Why do you need permission from the state to own a dog? Other than the fact that it is nothing more than another tax, a way to extort money from an honest person, a dog license is pure stupidity.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Something that even as a kid I could never understand. Why do you need permission from the state to own a dog? Other than the fact that it is nothing more than another tax, a way to extort money from an honest person, a dog license is pure stupidity.

Which is exactly why laws like this are pure, unadulterated bull****.

Top Bottom