DOJ pays $16 per muffin, $10 per cookie and $8 per cup of coffee.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hum.. the article is miss leading to an extend. The DOJ report can be found here:
    http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/plus/a1143.pdf

Yes taking the "avg" cost does lead up to $8 for a cup of coffee but it is not like employee abc went and bought xyz cups of coffee @ $8 a pop. The report focuses on DOJ conferences so in essence the .go vwas buying say the coffee service from hotel abc. Which if you have ever held an event at a hotel it's freaken expensive to have them (hotel) server you food/drinks but alas no way around it.

It might have been more cost effective to rent a "hall" and bid out a catering service for the food.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Hum.. the article is miss leading to an extend. The DOJ report can be found here:
    http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/plus/a1143.pdf

Yes taking the "avg" cost does lead up to $8 for a cup of coffee but it is not like employee abc went and bought xyz cups of coffee @ $8 a pop. The report focuses on DOJ conferences so in essence the .go vwas buying say the coffee service from hotel abc. Which if you have ever held an event at a hotel it's freaken expensive to have them (hotel) server you food/drinks but alas no way around it.

It might have been more cost effective to rent a "hall" and bid out a catering service for the food.
    It would be more cost effective if the leaches in Washington would bring their own coffee and snacks. :)
    Although a "donation jar" would look nice I expect that it would remain empty at such functions.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    To someone in New York City, those prices are inline. Of course, they'll pay $50 to see a movie.

The article goes in depth to several prestigious local bakeries and even with a 20% catering charge, none of those bakeries would even come close to $5 for "lace enhanced" whatevers, the top shelf variants of their products.

While I find it offensive that taxpayers would be fitting the bill for top shelf muffins and cupcakes, this is outrageous.

What about dunkin dounuts? If they want something a bit better why not panera or einstien brothers?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The article goes in depth to several prestigious local bakeries and even with a 20% catering charge, none of those bakeries would even come close to $5 for "lace enhanced" whatevers, the top shelf variants of their products.

While I find it offensive that taxpayers would be fitting the bill for top shelf muffins and cupcakes, this is outrageous.

What about dunkin dounuts? If they want something a bit better why not panera or einstien brothers?

When you have an event at a hotel/hall depending on the hotel/hall you are FORCED to go with their food/catering/service.

It would be more cost effective if the leaches in Washington would bring their own coffee and snacks. :)
    Although a "donation jar" would look nice I expect that it would remain empty at such functions.

Yes it is more cost effective to have them bring their own lunch but alas most hotels/conferencing biz do not allow that. Now you can release the members & have them eat lunch in the surroudning areas but then there is no way to have a speaker(s) during the lunch/dinner/breakfast event.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    When you have an event at a hotel/hall depending on the hotel/hall you are FORCED to go with their food/catering/service.

Yes it is more cost effective to have them bring their own lunch but alas most hotels/conferencing biz do not allow that. Now you can release the members & have them eat lunch in the surroudning areas but then there is no way to have a speaker(s) during the lunch/dinner/breakfast event.
    Then perhaps such assemblies should be held at venues that do allow attendees to bring their own snacks and drinks.
    I'm sure there are several places that don't require the use of their own expensive in house services.
    But then the attendees wouldn't be coddled in the lap of luxury at the expense of the Taxpayers.
    And of course this would **** off the Service Workers Union. :rolleyes:
    The American Taxpayer is nothing more than a "Cash Cow" for the Politicians to milk at will, deplete as they see fit, and toss away when dry. :noway:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

And there are no Protocol Officers or Party Planers employed by the US Government? The people who book these venues don't know to check things like that? Rhetorical questions, to be sure.

I know, I'm wishing that Washington DC had some common sense and worked within a budget like most of us lowly tax payers have too.

Besides, I do believe that common practice is to inflate the price of items reports. This is how Black Budgets are funded to an extent because once the check is cut and there is an invoice to match it to, the money is then accounted for.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Then perhaps such assemblies should be held at venues that do allow attendees to bring their own snacks and drinks.
    I'm sure there are several places that don't require the use of their own expensive in house services.
    But then the attendees wouldn't be coddled in the lap of luxury at the expense of the Taxpayers.
    And of course this would **** off the Service Workers Union. :rolleyes:
    The American Taxpayer is nothing more than a "Cash Cow" for the Politicians to milk at will, deplete as they see fit, and toss away when dry. :noway:

I am not aware of any venue on the conference scale level that allows you to rent it & not go with their food/catering services. That is their (that biz) major source of revenue (food/services).

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I am not aware of any venue on the conference scale level that allows you to rent it & not go with their food/catering services. That is their (that biz) major source of revenue (food/services).
    That, precisely, is what I'm talking about.
    The mentality that all "important" meetings must be held in the "appropriate" type of facility to be successful.
    BALONEY!!!
    They can discuss the affairs of the World in a Knights of Columbus Hall for all I care.
    I'm fed up with providing Professional [STRIKE]Politicians[/STRIKE] Leeches with their cushy lifestyles and all of the perks attached thereto, at the expense of the hard working taxpayers!!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    That, precisely, is what I'm talking about.
    The mentality that all "important" meetings must be held in the "appropriate" type of facility to be successful.
    BALONEY!!!
    They can discuss the affairs of the World in a Knights of Columbus Hall for all I care.
    I'm fed up with providing Professional [STRIKE]Politicians[/STRIKE] Leeches with their cushy lifestyles and all of the perks attached thereto, at the expense of the hard working taxpayers!!

The KoC (at least those around me) you have to use their food service as well. Now granted it's not going to cost plate for plate what a dinner at say the Hitlon will but then again the KoC is not tailored for conference type events (ie. meeting rooms, dinning area, exhibit area, rooms, etc.)

So it's not a fair comparision per say. Note that in the OIG report on the DOJ I don't think it was political conferences (no no in .gov to be paid by taxpayers) from the looks of it (reading the titles on the conference) it looks more like LEO type of events/training/etc in some and others I'm not sure what the conference/event was about but would venture to say it was for .gov employees since Per Diem rates were also talked about in the report.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    The KoC (at least those around me) you have to use their food service as well. Now granted it's not going to cost plate for plate what a dinner at say the Hitlon will but then again the KoC is not tailored for conference type events (ie. meeting rooms, dinning area, exhibit area, rooms, etc.)

So it's not a fair comparision per say. Note that in the OIG report on the DOJ I don't think it was political conferences (no no in .gov to be paid by taxpayers) from the looks of it (reading the titles on the conference) it looks more like LEO type of events/training/etc in some and others I'm not sure what the conference/event was about but would venture to say it was for .gov employees since Per Diem rates were also talked about in the report.
    All of the LEO training that I attended over the years, and that's a considerable amount, was "You're on your own" dining.
    Not once did the Department, or organization, putting on the training provide a meal.
    I guess I didn't attend the "high zoot" training seminars. :)
    My Department paid "per diem" at $15.00 per day.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

Yeah, like in one of those "government" buildings, maybe.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Yeah, like in one of those "government" buildings, maybe.
    WHAT????
    Why.......why.......
    That's blasphemous!!!!
    Hell you can't even drink booze in those places.

That'll never happen as long as we let Politicians spend our money like today is the Last Day.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

So it's not a fair comparision per say.

Marriot Courtyard would be though and at 1/5 the price as well. There are dozens of chains that offer conference centers, not to mention banquet halls.

If the courtyard isn't good enough for them, they can all go strait to hell.

I'm tired of them spending my grandchildrens money. F' them.

Top Bottom