Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    That was appeasement behavior. Even if the dog did get into the treats (though the sack didn't look like a dog had been at it -- would have been torn up more), he would have forgotten about it by that time.

He knew master was unhappy.

Then master comes over and shoves something that is forbidden to the dog into the dog's face.

Dog was confused and was showing submissive and appeasing behavior. Basically the language was "You are mad. I do not know why. Please don't hurt me."

You correct a dog within 1 second. Much more and the dog won't get why he's being corrected. Dogs have only the dimmest concept of the past and no concept of the future.

As far as I'm concerned, that was cruel treatment of the dog.

Josh

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    For the most part I agree, but...

That was appeasement behavior. Even if the dog did get into the treats (though the sack didn't look like a dog had been at it -- would have been torn up more), he would have forgotten about it by that time.

He knew master was unhappy.

Then master comes over and shoves something that is forbidden to the dog into the dog's face.

Dog was confused and was showing submissive and appeasing behavior. Basically the language was "You are mad. I do not know why. Please don't hurt me."

You correct a dog within 1 second. Much more and the dog won't get why he's being corrected. Dogs have only the dimmest concept of the past and no concept of the future.

As far as I'm concerned, that was cruel treatment of the dog.

Josh

I think you have a point about most dogs that they have no memory past about 15 seconds. However, labs are a little smarter that MOST dogs. My lab always eagerly greets me at the door unless she has done something similar. If she's been in the trash (or eaten a whole Lasagna, or a whole turkey, off the stove) she goes in hiding and she knows she has done wrong. I can walk in the door and look at her and know if she's been into somthing. Also, I would like to point out that you shouldnt punnish your dog by putting them in the kennel as many do. If you put them in the "penalty box" for doing wrong, then they are confused thinking they have done wrong every time they get put in there.
    I gotta say, made me laugh!

Top Bottom