• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mannus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    I am a new relaoder and developing loads for 9mm. I have the Lyman's reloading manual as well as various pages from other reload manuals for 9mm. I currently have a lb of Unique as well as 1/2 lb of AA#5 and VV N350. I have also spent many hours reading various forums and watching youtube videos on reloading. One recipe I could not track down was for X-treme 124gr plated HP's. What I was able to come up with for plinking was 5.2gr of Unique in FC brass with an AOL of 1.115". I will be shooting this out of a Sig P320 compact and Taurus PT111 G2. They did pass the case gauge test as well as the barrel plunk test. I plan on getting a chrony this summer. My understanding is that Unique burns cleaner at higher pressure but I am not trying to load to +P either. Any thoughts on this load?

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    5.2 Unique sounds a little high for a starting load. I think 4.5 to 5 grs. is the printed range you're looking for with unique. Plated bullets are generally run at the mid/high range of the cast data for your bullet weight, and I see 5 grs max for both cast and jacketed. Are you ok at 5.2? Probably, but know you are loading above reputable, published load data.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I've got several manuals, and it can seem pretty tricky at times. I've got some that have starting loads that are at or near max loads in others.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Generally, I have looked for a load that is the closest to both the bullet weight and type, and you will be fine. It is impossible for the companies that make manuals to cover every possible bullet weight, shape, and intended use. Some of it will be further online research on the companies that make the bullet you are using or the powder manufacturer. You can also surf the reloading sites/forums for possible recipes but remember: It may have been safe for them,but it might not be safe for you.

As always, start with the lowest loading that if is it is listed. Some manuals only list one charge weight for a particular bullet, so you don't have too much wiggle room. Happened with my 30-30 setup.

mannus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I think i will keep the drop at 5.2gr and increase my AOL to 1.25" on 10 test cartridges and 1.13" on another 10 and go from there.

mannus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Well, I haven't had a chance to shoot my new loads. I did change it again as I went w/ 5gn of Unique @ an AOL of 1.125" in WIN brass and S&B SPP. A buddy from work was quick to volunteer to shoot some free ammo from me( and waived any liability on my part). He shot 10 rounds each out of a G43 and M&P Perf Ctr Shield and stated that they shot POA and were mild to moderate in recoil. He brought me the brass back and I did not see any any signs of overpressure such as flattened primers.

Top Bottom