Does getting an IN driver's license make you an IN resident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    I was just wondering as a local gun shop told me you are not a resident of the state until 3 months after getting your license. They also told me I can't buy or sell any firearms technically until that happens as well.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    So does that mean that all the illegal aliens that got driver license are residents of Indiana? Just because the state passed out driver license like they were candy?

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    If it's true and you're not a resident for 3 months after you get that does that mean you don't have to be unarmed while waiting for your LTCH to come after you get your driver's license and apply for an in state permit as your other license (FL example) would still be good until you take residency?

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I lived in Idaho for 3 years in the 80's. They wouldn't even sell me an in state fishing license until I had my Idaho drivers license for a year. "Do you think I got a job and moved here, just to fish" I asked!

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    +1 here

So does that mean that all the illegal aliens that got driver license are residents of Indiana? Just because the state passed out driver license like they were candy?
    :yesway: boy you hit that right on but i think they really just have to move here and bang good to go

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    There is no residency time period in the Indiana Code for obtaining LTCH. If you have an Indiana DL you are a resident. As far as what gun stores tell you, I believe them about as much as I do Obama.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    There is no residency time period in the Indiana Code for obtaining LTCH. If you have an Indiana DL you are a resident. As far as what gun stores tell you, I believe them about as much as I do Obama.

Internet messege boards are no more reliable.

Having a driver's license or not having one is not a requirment to exercising your right to carry a gun.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    As soon as you get an IN driver's license does that make you an IN resident?

IC 9-13-2-78
    Indiana resident
    Sec. 78. "Indiana resident" refers to a person who is one (1) of the following:
    (1) A person who has been living in Indiana for at least one hundred eighty-three (183) days during a calendar year and who has a legal residence in another state. However, the term does not include a person who has been living in Indiana for any of the following purposes:
    (A) Attending a postsecondary educational institution.
    (B) Serving on active duty in the armed forces of the United States.
    (2) A person who is living in Indiana if the person has no other legal residence.
    (3) A person who is registered to vote in Indiana.
    (4) A person who has a child enrolled in an elementary or a secondary school located in Indiana.
    (5) A person who has more than one-half (1/2) of the person's gross income (as defined in Section 61 of the Internal Revenue Code) derived from sources in Indiana using the provisions applicable to determining the source of adjusted gross income that are set forth in IC 6-3-2-2. However, a person who is considered a resident under this subdivision is not a resident if the person proves by a preponderance of the evidence that the person is not a resident under subdivisions (1) through (4).
    (6) A person who:
    (A) is enrolled as a student of a truck driver training school;
    (B) has legal residence in another state but is living in Indiana temporarily for the express purpose of taking a course of study from the truck driver training school; and
    (C) intends to return to the person's state of residence upon completion of the course of study of the truck driver training school.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.188-2006, SEC.2; P.L.2-2007, SEC.139.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    FWIW, I applied for my LTCH with an IL license. About a week later I got my IN license, then bought a handgun through an FFL 2 days later.

The guy at the gun store is full of excrement. Wolfman posted the statute, there it is in black letter law.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    from the law above, if another state has the child enrolled clause, would that make a person a resident of more than one state?

That law, or maybe my state of mind right now, is confusing me.

Top Bottom