Does anyone swage their own jacketed bullets?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I've been talking to Brian, AKA BTSniper over at the castboolits forum, and I'm really considering this. I've been mulling it over for a couple of years, as it's kinda pricey to get started. Does anyone here do this?

BTSniper Custom Tools and Dies - Cast Boolits

The gist is: take a .40 spent casing, insert a cast lead slug, run it through the die/dies, and the final product is a .45 jacketed hollowpoint.
    The same can be done with .22LR/.223, 9mm/40, and 5.7/.308.

Thanks, in advance! :ingo:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I had considered it but like you said, it's pricey. With my current connections I can get pulled 5.56 mil bullets extremely cheap so it's just not worth it to me. Different people will see it differently so my opinion is only one. I just don't have the time to dedicate to swaging my own bullets when I can buy them almost as cheap.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Not worth it to me for pistol bullets when cast bullets would work just fine.

I think the rifle cartridge idea is much more plausible, but the bullets will probably never be as accurate as store-bought. Keep in mind that at the velocities (both spin rpm and actual velocity) that rifle bullets travel, bullets play a huge part in accuracy, especially as distances get longer.

Bullet manufacturers have a very consistent process and still continuously test lots of their bullets for proper ballistic performance. I have been to Sierra's factory and seen their manufacturing process, and the level of quality control necessary to produce bullets of their quality is far beyond what anyone here could do practically for smaller batches, and they are happy to sell as scrap the bullets that don't survive this process.

Don't let me discourage you guys from doing this as I love tinkering and I don't mean to be a debbie downer, I just want to make sure you're aware of the limitations and challenges of making high-quality jacketed bullets. It's both an art and a science.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I too have given it serious consideration but like dz said, for pistol cast bullets work pretty well. I have considered the .22lr shell to .223 jacket just to play with but it's a lot of time invested for a very cheap bullet. I may still do it just to have the capability and to learn the process.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Took me a few to grok what he's doing, but it seems like a good idea, however, :spend: think I'll stay with status quo.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I have looked into it as well, even found a press cheap on ebay for it(40 bucks) but I can buy a lot of .224 bullets for the price of those dies. Granted, those dies have a great rep, I just cant justify dies at the cost of an AR

Top Bottom