Does anyone buy a new vehicle and just keep it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We used to do the new car thing--trading every few years. But we finally came to realize the waste of money it is and we've been car payment free for 4-5 years now. Our fleet's getting pretty tired now. Last year we finally had to let the Buick Century go with over 225K miles on it. The wife's minivan is getting to be where it makes a lot of funny little sounds and more and more stuff it getting where they don't work just quite right any more. I'm pretty sure once that thing leaves her on the side of the road on some rainy morning on the way to work, we'll be back in the market.

I'm hoping to go the used car route, the next time. But try finding a good used one, just 3-4 years old, with less than a 100k miles on it...easier said than done.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I won't even buy a new vehicle. I've purchased one new car in my life and quickly realized what a waste that was. I'm happy that some folks have to have a new car every year or two, they can eat the depreciation and keep on providing decent cars for the used market.

:yesway: My sentiment exactly! (except I've never bought a new vehicle)

I have a 2001 Toyota Tundra (built in Indiana). 170,000 miles and not slowing down. My son has the same truck, same year: 310,000 miles.

WOW, you win!

My logic is exemplified by the last car I purchased. It had about 50,000 miles on it, and was NASTY. A measurable layer of tar from the chain smoking previous owner. It was at a dealership but they just got it and had not detailed it yet. Bought it for $5k cash, spent a weekend cleaning it and I'm at 130,000 miles currently. I'll almost certainly get 200,000+ out of it. Toyota Avalon.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Never owned a new car. We just bought an 08 last year (we needed a van with our family size growing and soforth).

Ive had my truck for 5 and a half years and am now selling it as it doesn't really get driven, and my Jeep does everything I need to do, and the utility trailer fills in the gaps (*plus I get out of helping everyone and their friend move)...

We just paid off our Jeep last year and it just became mine (was my wife's DD)... And I plan to drive it until the doors rust off, as that will happen before it dies.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I love new cars, but I despise car payments. I have 104k on my 2002 Grand Prix and plan to drive it until it drives no more. We replaced the wife's car only after it had 144,000 miles and 10 years on it. Planing to see how many miles we can get out of the replacement. My replacement for the Grand Prix was purchased in '09 when GM said they were doing away with Pontiac. I had to make sure I was one of the few owners of a G8 GXP with manual transmission. It'll likely be the last of the big V8 sedans with a true manual.

My family has always bought and driven cars forever.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Car payment free is the way to go. We have a '98 gmc sierra and (ugh) a '99 windstar.
    I've never worried about depreciation. I view cars as a consumable and not an investment. Almost any repair is still cheaper than a car payment and full coverage insurance.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Car payment free is the way to go. We have a '98 gmc sierra and (ugh) a '99 windstar.
    I've never worried about depreciation. I view cars as a consumable and not an investment. Almost any repair is still cheaper than a car payment and full coverage insurance.

I would never run with anything less than good comprehensive coverage. Too many pricks out there without insurance. I cant afford to be down a car, and as long as my insurance is solid, I can worry a little less about something. I look at car insurance as an investment. Buy wisely.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Bought my car new February 2006, paid off 2010. No plans on selling/trading it. If anything I'll get another new car and make this one the back-up/beater :).

That said, I run full coverage on everything - (have a 2003 Envoy, 2006 Lancer for example). Has come in handy with the $0 deductible for the $12,000 (total) in hail damage both vehicles have received over the last 4 years from the numerous hail storms when we lived in apartments and didn't have garages/covers.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    New + warranty = fixed operating cost. That's why I buy new. Gone are the days of wondering how I'll get to work if the transmission goes out.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Nice on the Saturn VUE making it towards 250K and going strong, :D I hope my B15Sentra can make it to 400k. I bought it used with 42xxx. Don't plan on ever buying a brand new vehicle.

bulldog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Crawfordsville,In
    Bought a new 04 Chevy Silverado 91,000 miles still have it. Bought a 97 Jeep Cherokee in 98 has 143,000 miles still have it. I hope to get at least 200,000 miles on them before either they or I expire.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Every time I buy with forever in mind someone runs a stop light and ruins my plans.
    MC S/S in my avatar is one and the 96 Impala S/S I owned at the same time were the 2 in question. Damn the luck.
    Now we drive them until the wheels stop turning.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If I had the money...I'd buy new all the time. If I ever hit the big time OhMyGod Lottery - I'll be the fool who soon parts with his money. At least some of it - on vehicles.

Unfortunately for her, my wife (before we were even dating) bought a 2006 Altima in December of 2005. $25k - a car that she certainly couldn't afford at the time considering her circumstances. I/we paid it off very very soon into our marriage 4 years ago. This morning's commute to work saw it turn over 105,000k miles - and thankfully still going strong. (though I need to get it in for some expensive preventative maintenance...which will hopefully preclude some even more expensive problems)

My own personal car-buying history hasn't been great. First car *I* bought was a 1997 Concorde. This was in 2002-3 ish. Should've known better. Developed transmission issues. I stupidly traded it in on a 2004 Alero - and had payments again.

Should have just fixed the Concorde and babied it. But the puddle of red fluid and sudden lack of forward motion scared me. :n00b:

If it weren't for a mope turning left in front of me and totaling out the Alero a few years ago, we'd most likely have driven it until our first child was born. That car was truly too small for rear-facing child seats with as tall as my wife and I are.

Our plan is to drive the Altima into the ground....

And our Sedona the same. (Still carry a note on that one. :-( )

I'm afraid, however, that they'll both go into the crapper at the same exact time and then we'll really be in a lurch.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We don't buy new cars anymore. Last brand new one was in 1995 when I bought a Saturn. Sold it 3 years later with 85K miles on it. Still lost more money than I wanted to. New cars just devalue so fast there is no way it makes sense any more, at least not to me. Now we look for cars in the 2-3 year old range with less than 15K miles per year on them. My 2006 Saturn was bought in 2008 with 18K miles on it...got it for $9800, the sticker was $15,300 new. Those 18K miles cost someone a cool $5500 or about 31 cents a mile in depreciation. It now has 187,000 miles on it, has had no payment book since mid 2009. I change the oil in it every 6-8 weeks depending on mileage, and I put pads on it every 50K and rotors every 75-80K. It's got a lot of scratches on it, and a lot of miles but it runs like a top. I will drive this car until it is dead. (My 1999 Saturn SL1 lasted 318,000 miles)

I have a 2004 Durango we bought in 2006. It had 22K miles on it. It now has 147K miles on it. It's been paid for since mid 2009. Sticker on this thing was $35,800 and we bought it for 20K. It's a V8 gas guzzling joy to drive...makes about 19 MPG on the highway and holds 7 adults or 2 adults and 6 kids. I am going to miss this truck when it dies. Regular maintenance is the KEY to long living vehicles. We also keep our vehicles in the semi temperature controlled garage.

Nope...would not waste my dough on a brand new vehicle if I could find something that would fit the bill that was 1-3 years old.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm 30 years old, and have bought 2 vehicles before I was married. A '99 Dodge Ram Sport, which I bought in 2002 as a high school graduation present for myself.
    Then in 2005, I drove my first Jeep Wrangler, fell in love, and traded the Ram for a new '05 Wrangler. Which I am still driving everyday. It has 73,000 miles.

My wife had leased a new 2006 Chevy car. (Can't remember the name) and she drove it after college and til we got married. The lease was up.

Since it was our 1 year anniversary, we bought a brand new 2009 Pontiac G6. She's still driving it everyday.

We'd like to trade it in for a used SUV, but unfortunately we'll probably just keep it til it's paid off.

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    New or used, whatever we buy we keep until the repairs start to cost more than a replacement, which is usually a good long time since we I typically do all the repairs myself. Two out of our three vehicles are 2001s.

Bought a new 04 Chevy Silverado 91,000 miles still have it. Bought a 97 Jeep Cherokee in 98 has 143,000 miles still have it. I hope to get at least 200,000 miles on them before either they or I expire.

You shouldn't have any trouble with the Jeep. My 2001 has 178K and still runs lik a champ!

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    I bought my wife a new Accord in 2006 and bought a used sonata with 25000 miles on it in 09. Both cars have 125000 miles on them. I just put new rotors on the Accord. That has been the only mainenance besides oil, tires, and brakes that either of them has ever had. Oh, and we only change the oil every 7-10k miles. I plan to get at least 200K out of both of them.

Top Bottom