• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Im wanting to put dual stacks on my diesel ( Ya im one of those people) anybody here have some fab skills to make a correct one cause I dont have a proper pipe bender and I really dont really have $400 for just the base piece

something like this
    150100%20Universal%20Stack%20Kit.jpg

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Insted of using pipe to connect the stacks, You make a box, welded of sheet metal. Size wise about 4" x 6" an 5' long or so. I like them better than the pipe connecting the two, gives better balence between to the two stacks. Shoot me a PM if ya got questions Ill give ya my number be easier to tell ya on the phone than on the computer

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Insted of using pipe to connect the stacks, You make a box, welded of sheet metal. Size wise about 4" x 6" an 5' long or so. I like them better than the pipe connecting the two, gives better balence between to the two stacks. Shoot me a PM if ya got questions Ill give ya my number be easier to tell ya on the phone than on the computer
    This is what I would do. Much better rigidity and would be easier for a DIY job.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    word of warning with the stack box idea, build a V on the ceiling directly above the exhaust inlet pipe otherwise the HOT exhaust will burn thru the steel where it get's blasted straight on before making it's turn left and right. also, every homemade stack box i've ever seen (not that i've seen em all) only seems to "exhaust" out one side or the other instead of both.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    word of warning with the stack box idea, build a V on the ceiling directly above the exhaust inlet pipe otherwise the HOT exhaust will burn thru the steel where it get's blasted straight on before making it's turn left and right. also, every homemade stack box i've ever seen (not that i've seen em all) only seems to "exhaust" out one side or the other instead of both.

Im sure those were the ones built wrong with the inlet put in on one side and not in the midle of the box. Your engine would be a molten pile of goo, if the exhaust was hot enough to melt through the box, Most standard plate steel melts a 2500F. I dont think youll have a problem, no "V" needed

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    well i guess i coulda worded that better, what i meant was the heat cycling of the exhaust will repeatedly burn the metal directly above the inlet and cause it to become brittle and crack or simply rust thru. i've never seen the inlet in the middle on any stack, wouldn't the driveshaft get in the way? that's why y-pipes are offset. just curious if you were able to center the inlet, how did you do it?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    well i guess i coulda worded that better, what i meant was the heat cycling of the exhaust will repeatedly burn the metal directly above the inlet and cause it to become brittle and crack or simply rust thru. i've never seen the inlet in the middle on any stack, wouldn't the driveshaft get in the way? that's why y-pipes are offset. just curious if you were able to center the inlet, how did you do it?

Thats why I stoped using them

Ive did it with dodge dont know if you were wrking on something else or not could be different, but there is plenty of room directly in the middle to make your cut. Drive shaft doesnt even come close to it.

Ive never had a problem with cracking, rusting or anything, I painted mine with 1500F engine enamel an let it set up for a day before use.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    cool, i've got a 98 ram 3500 drw quadcab 12 valve. thought about stacks, like the look, but the DRONE in the cab get's unbearable on a couple of my buddy's trucks i've ridden in (12 valvers as well) like, not able to talk on the phone loud. i have a 4" mbrp now, currently with muffler, gonna take the muffler off and see if i like that, if not, i can put it back on, no biggie (and i haven't cut a big hole in my bed to find out!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    cool, i've got a 98 ram 3500 drw quadcab 12 valve. thought about stacks, like the look, but the DRONE in the cab get's unbearable on a couple of my buddy's trucks i've ridden in (12 valvers as well) like, not able to talk on the phone loud. i have a 4" mbrp now, currently with muffler, gonna take the muffler off and see if i like that, if not, i can put it back on, no biggie (and i haven't cut a big hole in my bed to find out!

Sweet! 5-speed? There is a few tricks to cut down on drone, but I know what your talking about. You'll have no prob without the muffler on there, you'll like it alot better, plus a bit of an EGT drop:yesway:. Same as I gave the OP if ya have ne questions Pm me an Ill give ya contact info, Its hard to express everything on the computer

Top Bottom