• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    I want to see if I’m just crazy or others have bad buyer etiquette.

If you’ve got something for sale and it’s very reasonably priced, do you respond to potential buyers that start their conversation off with “what’s your lowest price?”

To me, this is poor practice. I do not respond to those types of questions when selling, and feel that if you list your product well, and price your item fairly, those kinds of questions shouldn’t even exist, and knowledgeable potential buyers will start with a good idea what something is worth and where the wiggle-room is.

Curious as to what the community’s thoughts are.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

:whistle:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Yep just reply with the best offer you're willing to take. If your bottom dollar is the asking price, just say so. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to haggle pricing and will directly ask what the bottom dollar is, potentially saving both of us wasted time.
    The price I'm willing to pay may not be the price your willing to take and that is fine.

dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo

:whistle:
    Haahaha. Best emoji.

Definitely not hostile, but I do tend to think, “if this is their first PM, I’m assuming the sale won’t go very smooth.” I can accept that I may be too picky in my thought process.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

If you’ve got something for sale and it’s very reasonably priced, do you respond to potential buyers that start their conversation off with “what’s your lowest price?”

To me, this is poor practice. I do not respond to those types of questions when selling, and feel that if you list your product well, and price your item fairly, those kinds of questions shouldn’t even exist, and knowledgeable potential buyers will start with a good idea what something is worth and where the wiggle-room is.

This reminds me of a story I heard once:

A home seller said to their agent "this offer is insulting and I'm mad as heck at this buyer", the agent replied, "you are mad at the wrong guy, this guy liked your home enough to at least make an offer, you should be insulted by the lookers that didn't even make an offer"...

dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    This reminds me of a story I heard once:

A home seller said to their agent "this offer is insulting and I'm mad as heck at this buyer", the agent replied, "you are mad at the wrong guy, this guy liked your home enough to at least make an offer, you should be insulted by the lookers that didn't even make an offer"...
    Love this. Great point of view.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    **** poor way to start a transaction/negotiation. Ive received them too, and its lazy. At least make an offer along with it. Its even more offensive when they say it very shortly after the ad goes live.

Starting with "what's your bottom dollar" shows no skill at negotiation. What do they expect? For us to just roll over and say "Aw shucks. I know I have it listed for $600, but if I get really desperate I'll go as low as $450 to get the cash in hand. So I'll just take the loss right now and let you buy it for $450 JUST because you asked. You got me."

Anyone that expects you to leave money on the table with no effort is un serious. It shouldnt be "how low will you go?" It should be "I wont pay a dollar over $xxx." if anything.

I dont find if offensive per se. I find the practice lazy.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon

What do you on a car lot or when you buy a house, motorcycle, or atv... negotiating is part of buying/selling.. I know guns aren’t oranges to apples here but a deal is a deal is a deal..

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just respond with the price listed in the post. I believe negotiations should be made face to face.
    Partly correct. Its rude to waste the seller's time if you arent willing to pay what he is asking. You show up to the deal and say "will you take $50 less? " for no reason and the seller wont? And you wont pay asking price? You just wasted the seller's time.

Now you are correct if you show up expecting it to be a certain way but its not. "Hey, you didnt say the feed ramp is mangled. Its gonna take some effort and maybe a 'smith to fix. How about... "

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Sounds like a guy trying to bargain down the price. If I'm desperate to sell, I answer will a bit lower price, if not, and I'm pretty sure I can get more by waiting, I say price is firm.

Hey, I try to get the best deal I can too... Doesn't sound like he's trying to get it for nothing... just the lowest he can.
    Sellers do that too... often listing at a higher price, so there's room to bargain.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    A couple times on meet-up, the firearm looked great, no reason to haggle. Even was offered a couple boxes of practice ammo for a modest charge, and accepted those too! Know what you want and realize the seller knows what he needs to sell. It is free enterprise of course, and there was no point to beat down a fair deal. Good luck.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I just respond with the price listed in the post. I believe negotiations should be made face to face.
    I absolutely disagree with this. I think that a price should be agreed upon before the face to face meet. I would be mad as hell if someone tried to negotiate a different price at the meet, especially if there was travel time involved.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I won’t ask ask what is your lowest dollar but I will make an offer. If it’s too low, the seller should either counter or say no. Just because you are asking for $X doesn’t necessarily mean it’s worth $X. Even if it is worth $X to the seller it may be worth $X-a to the buyer because it is not what he exactly wants but is a plausible option.

Top Bottom