• Do you inform and how do you carry?

• Total voters

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm required to CC under LEOSA, I'd have no problem informing an officer that I was carrying and show them ID and documentation or for that matter my Indiana LTCH.... now where did I put that pink piece of paper? I always appreciated when someone I had stopped let me know they where carrying and produced their LTCH.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you would be required to CC ONLY if you are "under LEOSA" only.. ie: In a State that did not honor your LTCH.

So you could OC here, but not Illinois, for example..

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you would be required to CC ONLY if you are "under LEOSA" only.. ie: In a State that did not honor your LTCH.

So you could OC here, but not Illinois, for example..

You are correct now, before IN. did away with all the BS gun laws last year was it, retirees carrying under LEOSA didn't have to worry about local and most of IN. gun laws. So I guess I could OC if I wanted, hey we should start a thread about OC vs. CC! I'd just have to dig out my LTCH (which might not be a bad idea anyway) rather than deal with the legal problems of doing so without carrying it with me. Also retirees carrying under LEOSA are not required to have a state license/permit, If not then they could only CC carry.

Last edited:

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Currently 32.88% of the people are responding as either of the two OC answers. I hardly EVER see anyone OC-ing...I don't believe it.

And Yes I'm always looking.

Agreed! I have always been pro gun, but just more observant in the past year or so! I have only seen two people OCing and they both were in the same week. I look just to give a nod of approval, not scorn!

Anyway, I combine the best of both worlds. I OC on my belt, but then throw an unbuttoned Braves Jersey over that. Never had to inform in public. Got pulled over once and the cop saw my Little Pink Card and never asked... didn't even get a ticket, just a warning.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Currently 32.88% of the people are responding as either of the two OC answers. I hardly EVER see anyone OC-ing...I don't believe it.

And Yes I'm always looking.

With a total number of 156 voting in this poll, they could ALL be OCing in Evansville (132,000 IIRC) and I might not ever see one.

(At least I have PROOF that I OC) :D

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    You are correct now, before IN. did away with all the BS gun laws last year was it, retirees carrying under LEOSA didn't have to worry about local and most of IN. gun laws. So I guess I could OC if I wanted, hey we should start a thread abot OC vs. CC! I'd just have to dig out my LTCH (which might not be a bad idea anyway) rather than deal with the legal problems of doing so without carrying it with me. Also retirees carrying under LEOSA are not required to have a state license/permit, If not then they could only CC carry.

Thanks! Makes sense..

Not that it affects me, but interesting info to know.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I voted OC and do not inform even though I've never had any interactions. If their SA isn't high enough to see me OCing, then they don't need to know.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    So, say you're in MI, which requires you to inform if you are stopped:

MI Legislature said:
    An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.

If you are the passenger in the car, were you stopped? Are you required to inform?

Anyone with any experience or knowledge of such interactions in MI?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    So, say you're in MI, which requires you to inform if you are stopped:

If you are the passenger in the car, were you stopped? Are you required to inform?

Anyone with any experience or knowledge of such interactions in MI?

So, after exercising my Google-fu for a bit, I found the following from a MI Carry site...posted by an attorney licensed in MI:

MI Attorney said:
    Q: If I am a Passenger in my wife's car and she is pulled over by a police officer for a traffic violation, do I have to inform the officer that I am carrying? If so how is that done? A: I take the position that in your scenario only your wife has been "stopped" so you would not technically have to disclose. I know other lawyers that say otherwise. But, as a courtesy to law enforcement and your own safety, I teach you should disclose the fact that you are carrying anyway. You just tell the officer that you have a CPL and a gun on your person or in the car.

Note: It is always recommended that you disclose when in doubt. There is no negative legal consequence to disclosure. The only negative consequence comes from a failure to disclose.

So, he knows of no case law, doesn't think it's necessary for passengers under the law, but thinks you should always disclose anyway. :n00b:

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    CC and inform

If I am approached by an on duty police officer doing his job, such as pulling my butt over for speeding, I will notify the officer that I have a weapon in my car. My logic is I'd rather tell the officer and alert him or her to its location rather than have him or her see it accidentally and become suspicious. LEO's have a tough job, and I want them to feel safe around me as much as I want to feel safe around them. I see their weapon, and I want them to know about mine. To me, thats just being polite and levelling the playing field for them. If that happens to earn me brownie points and make them more likely to be lenient with me, all the better...

coorslight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Carver. MA.
    In my state the only option is CC, and I usually carry IWB or OWB, I was told by a State Trooper friend of mine that you should notify the officer. I have know problem with that I am doing nothing wrong.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    :D

Honestly that one was from memory since I have all of the OC states memorized and I'm reasonably sure of all the states the have reciprocity with us but I always double check that before a trip.
    I've never been able to remember it confidently enough, so I just check before I leave.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I've never been able to remember it confidently enough, so I just check before I leave.

Never a bad idea.

Wisconsin granting CC reciprocity and Ohio no longer accepting non-resident Arizona permits are two major changes that come to mind recently. Even IF you memorize ALL 50 states laws they could change the next day.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I have recently changed my position on this and I will discuss it later unless you guys want a new thread about it.

The first to guess why I changed my position will receive a brand new OC/CC shirt in one of the few sizes I have left. Winner is at my discretion, guesses must be in this thread before I give my response. :D

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Recently had an officer state that if there's a chance he could see it during the stop, it's a good idea to mention it, particularly if you might need to reach anywhere around it. If it's completely concealed, there's no reason to say anything unless specifically asked.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Recently had an officer state that if there's a chance he could see it during the stop, it's a good idea to mention it, particularly if you might need to reach anywhere around it. If it's completely concealed, there's no reason to say anything unless specifically asked.

That isn't COMPLETELY true... More to come. :popcorn:

Top Bottom