• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Current carry is a Hellcat Pro with Swampfox Sentinel. Still grab the Springfield Champion, Kimber K6 or Kimber Ultra every once in a while.
    Still haven't picked up a holster for my 4" S&W 500.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have one carry gun. It comes in the form of 5 similar 1911's in 45acp.

Sometimes I sneak a Shield Plus or regular Shield 9mm onto myself as a "special, deep cover, super secret backup/hideout" piece, but nobody's supposed to know that.
    You are definitely not the guy with just one gun. A person that knows what works and has 5 of them is not someone who does not know guns.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm thinking of following the Skip method again and committing to one gun. Let's say for a moment that you had perfect knowledge that in December, you would be in a gun fight and that you knew that your performance would determine the fate of someone that you love very dearly. You know no other details.

In that situation, would you continue to muck around with different guns each day as whatever mood strikes you, or would you learn one platform to the absolute best of your ability?

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Can you share what you are moving from and what you are moving to? I’d be interested.
    Sure....most likely going to hear about it but.....I am moving from primarily a Shield Plus 3.1 (EDC), a S&W M&P 9c (2nd choice EDC) and a Kahr PM9 pocket rocket to a Ruger SP101 and a S&W 642 as a backup/pocket weapon....I began my law enforcement career in 1977 and was issued a Model 10 Smith as a duty gun. I carried a Colt Detective Special as a backup and for off duty....Shortly after starting my career, the department would allow us to carry any duty weapon we wanted to as long as we could qualify with it...At that time, the only semi autos carried by law enforcement were 1911's. I figured I should get the best and bought and carried a 4" Python (which I still have) until the mid/late 80s when we had to transition to semi autos.....I learned long ago that I am a better shot and more confident shot with a revolver....Like many, I got caught up in the micro pistol craze and went through several such as Hellcat, Sig 365, XD's, various Shields and Shield Plus and such....I think part of it was extra capacity, ease of reload etc. and part was keeping up with the times....But I kept my revolvers and would occasionally give them some range time...

Had a friend recently involved in an incident which really made me stop and think and be perfectly honest with myself...I much prefer a revolver over a semi auto even though there are some limitations to each...It's what I truly prefer and I am very familiar with mine, so on March 1, I decided to experiment and carry the SP 101 every day for a month and re-evaluate after that....I did so and I find I am more confident in, more comfortable with and overall just happier with my choice of the SP 101 than I ever was with any semi auto....and there you have it...as far as I am concerned, I am going to be a revolver guy from here on out....

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I'm thinking of following the Skip method again and committing to one gun. Let's say for a moment that you had perfect knowledge that in December, you would be in a gun fight and that you knew that your performance would determine the fate of someone that you love very dearly. You know no other details.

In that situation, would you continue to muck around with different guns each day as whatever mood strikes you, or would you learn one platform to the absolute best of your ability?
    Great reply!

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Sure....most likely going to hear about it but.....I am moving from primarily a Shield Plus 3.1 (EDC), a S&W M&P 9c (2nd choice EDC) and a Kahr PM9 pocket rocket to a Ruger SP101 and a S&W 642 as a backup/pocket weapon....I began my law enforcement career in 1977 and was issued a Model 10 Smith as a duty gun. I carried a Colt Detective Special as a backup and for off duty....Shortly after starting my career, the department would allow us to carry any duty weapon we wanted to as long as we could qualify with it...At that time, the only semi autos carried by law enforcement were 1911's. I figured I should get the best and bought and carried a 4" Python (which I still have) until the mid/late 80s when we had to transition to semi autos.....I learned long ago that I am a better shot and more confident shot with a revolver....Like many, I got caught up in the micro pistol craze and went through several such as Hellcat, Sig 365, XD's, various Shields and Shield Plus and such....I think part of it was extra capacity, ease of reload etc. and part was keeping up with the times....But I kept my revolvers and would occasionally give them some range time...

Had a friend recently involved in an incident which really made me stop and think and be perfectly honest with myself...I much prefer a revolver over a semi auto even though there are some limitations to each...It's what I truly prefer and I am very familiar with mine, so on March 1, I decided to experiment and carry the SP 101 every day for a month and re-evaluate after that....I did so and I find I am more confident in, more comfortable with and overall just happier with my choice of the SP 101 than I ever was with any semi auto....and there you have it...as far as I am concerned, I am going to be a revolver guy from here on out....
    And if somebody argues with that, they obviously have no ability to think critically. I applaud your well thought out approach to your decision. IF it comes to December, and we happen to be together when that incident you gave would happen to come, I’ll feel well backed up with you there!
    God bless sir!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I got to thinking if I wanted a do all edc that would work not only in the country, the city, and the mountains. I'd go with a 10mm with a 4" barrel and a full-size grip.

The only one I can think of that has exactly that is the S&W M&P 10mm

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    More accurate would be "Beware of the man with one gun. He's probably not a shooter and lacks skill."

Every time I've run across someone that says they own only one gun, they often go on to say stuff like "I've never shot it, but it's a Glock so I know that it works ".
    i have a friend who bought a s&w m&p ez 4 years ago. she shot it the first day she bought it. i set her up with holster, range bag, 2 extra mags, and ammo (range & SD). i taught her how to break it down and clean it.

she threw it in the back of her closet and hasn't touched it since.

every time she'd meet me and my sweetie at the range..."i forgot it"

smh

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I got to thinking if I wanted a do all edc that would work not only in the country, the city, and the mountains. I'd go with a 10mm with a 4" barrel and a full-size grip.

hipoint has a 10mm now

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    S&W Shield .45 loaded with Critical Defense rounds. Like American Express used to say, "Don't leave home without it". Easy to carry and if I ever have to use it, I want the bad guy to KNOW he's been shot.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis

Exactly those specs, yes. But my EDC for the past 6 months has been the Springfield XDm Elite Compact 10mm (3.8" barrel) and I shoot it better than the P365XL, Hellcat RDP, etc. With the mag well flare removed and the 11 round mag, my hand fits well and I have a 15 round mag with a grip extension (makes it a full-sized grip) as my backup. I'm planning on sticking with it in shorts and t-shirt weather, but we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have 3 .44 Spl. snub revolvers that are all I will use for carry. Loaded with heavy hard cast lead SWC loads. I can grab any one of them and they all feel exactly the same in my hands and they all fit in the same holster. No feed stoppages or failures to eject or magazine springs that can't get it up any more. Just point and click. Simple are good.......

Reactions: Mij

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Glock 42 & Sig P238. I think I like the Sig better, well idk I like them both, but I usually carry the Glock because there’s no safety to deal with. Thinking of eventually upgrading to the P365 or Hellcat one day…
    My wife had a Kimber purple 9mm. Beautiful pistol but…….nobody should have an external safety on a CCW pistol, in my opinion. As we get older our ability to do little movements becomes harder. You are wise to carry the Glock for that reason. I don’t know your personal way of carrying, frame size or the like but, you can’t go wrong with any of the pistols mentioned. I’m glad you carry too. You are a smart girl!
    I have a friend that carried a Glock 17 for years and years and even taught firearms classes that switched to the Hellcat Pro when it came out. He was one of the original Glock Fan Boi’s so, that’s a BIG switch!

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Glock 42 & Sig P238. I think I like the Sig better, well idk I like them both, but I usually carry the Glock because there’s no safety to deal with. Thinking of eventually upgrading to the P365 or Hellcat one day…
    i wanted to get my oldest gdaughter a g42 for her birthday but she wanted the g43. my daughter and sil got her started with a g19 so she was used to 9mm.

she doesn't carry yet but she's getting close. i may get her a s&w m&pc for her 18th bday

Reactions: Mij

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    My wife had a Kimber purple 9mm. Beautiful pistol but…….nobody should have an external safety on a CCW pistol, in my opinion. As we get older our ability to do little movements becomes harder. You are wise to carry the Glock for that reason. I don’t know your personal way of carrying, frame size or the like but, you can’t go wrong with any of the pistols mentioned. I’m glad you carry too. You are a smart girl!
    I have a friend that carried a Glock 17 for years and years and even taught firearms classes that switched to the Hellcat Pro when it came out. He was one of the original Glock Fan Boi’s so, that’s a BIG switch!
    Love the Kimber Micros and I’m not that girly but the purple ones are beautiful! I am a pretty small person so definitely harder to conceal but usually on my days off, when I’m in my street clothes, been appendix carrying in my kydex holster. Waiting for my thigh holster to come in for work days. Just ordered that on Amazon.

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    i wanted to get my oldest gdaughter a g42 for her birthday but she wanted the g43. my daughter and sil got her started with a g19 so she was used to 9mm.

she doesn't carry yet but she's getting close. i may get her a s&w m&pc for her 18th bday
    I looked at the 43’s and probably should have gotten one but it’s just a little big for me to conceal. When you’re only 5’ 4” and 118lbs, every extra measurement counts! I’ve been carrying for years in my purse but then I “saw the light” and realized how that really wasn’t the best idea.

Top Bottom