• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Under Armour pulled this shirt from shelves due to complaints that it was offensive.

635674878407965711-Screen-Shot-2015-05-17-at-7.30.27-PM.jpg Here's a link to an article...Backlash forces Under Armour to pull Iwo Jima shirt

I'm curious to hear opinions from INGO members about this. Personally, I'm not of the opinion that this is offensive or disrespectful. I can think of many worse things to emulate. IMO, many young people that would be targeted by this product would likely have no idea what it was about and maybe they would eventually learn something about the sacrifices and honorable service made by our military members from the past and present. Its not like they are using the idea of this moment in history to promote some evil agenda here...its just basketball.

Am I missing something? Does old adage "imitation is the greatest form of flattery" not apply here? If I am wrong about this, I'm very interested to hear why that might be.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No, not offensive. At the very least, it might teach the person wearing it something.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    It would be offensive to libtards who never served.

vets would mostly think it's cool

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Offensive? No. Inappropriate (ripping off the famous photo of the flag raising on Iwo Jima where 800 Americans died for every square mile of that God-forsaken chunk of volcanic desolation)?? Yes.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Offensive? No. Inappropriate (ripping off the famous photo of the flag raising on Iwo Jima where 800 Americans died for every square mile of that God-forsaken chunk of volcanic desolation)?? Yes.

I respect your opinion. However, I would like to ask this...Does it not honor those service members to bring attention to them as long as the methods in question do not also promote a dishonorable cause?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Not offensive to me. We used to re-enact the flag raising in boot camp every time the drill instructors found an unsecured footlocker. Lighten up, Francis. The only thing offensive about it is that they chose basketball instead of a real sport.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I speak only for this veteran (me), but I find nothing offensive about it.
    It's not done in a disrespectful way, and (as others have noted) it might well get kids to educate themselves about the high cost of freedom.
    People need to grow a thicker skin.
    I'm sick to death of the hecklers' veto spoiling every tiny thing, and I don't care who the hecklers wielding their veto pen are.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    No. And when you consider that the orignal foto was the result of a staged flag-raising, what would be the problem? Kind of like MacArthur's fotos returning to the Philippines.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Well, I've been in 7 years going on 8. I respect what those men did. But who is offended by this? I would really like to know. Most of those men died on Iwo Jima shortly after that photo was taken, but I suspect most of them would have thought this was kinda cool. You have the right to take offense at whatever you want, but you don't have the right to not be offended. I'm sick of the vocal minority that seems to be running this country and ruining everyone else's fun.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    No. And when you consider that the orignal foto was the result of a staged flag-raising, what would be the problem? Kind of like MacArthur's fotos returning to the Philippines.
    do you go around telling kids there's no Santa Claus too

Top Bottom