Do LGS have 22lr ammo to sell if you buy a 22lr gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I have been wanting to buy the grandkids a 22lr for a while. But said I wouldn't until I could stockpile some rounds.

I know its still is hard to find but I have been buying a few here and there for decent OK price.

If I buy a 22lr either from the big box GM type stores or a local LGS do they have ammo to sell at a fair price with it?
    I think it would be hard to sell a 22lr gun if you cant buy ammo to shoot.

I am thinking between what I have and if I could buy a bulk pack with every gun I would be OK for a while?

Maybe the important question, they wont be shooting a lot so how many rounds of 22lr should I have for them?

Thanks,

DER

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Don't think that LGSs are going to "out" themselves on that: Lots of folks here on the boards hate that concept, screaming about "hoarding" and such, will tear their clothes, fall to their knees, screaming and cracking their teeth in grimace.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Stopped by Rural King down in Martintucky the other day, they had a bunch of 22LR. Probably due to the fact that they wanted $6.00/box of 50. Clerk said "well it's obvious you don't want it very bad"! My reply was that he was smarter than he looked!:):

Yes, they have it. In most instances thought it's probably going to be a matter of how bad do you want it?

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    The flippers here in the classifeds are selling it like hot cakes. 3 federal bulk packs for $150...:laugh:

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I do know that is how a lot of folks feel. And if they try to price gouge then that is wrong and I understand it.

At the same time it is in a store's best interest to hold some back for a gun buyer as long as they price it fair.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    The flippers here in the classifeds are selling it like hot cakes. 3 federal bulk packs for $150...:laugh:

Yes thats just stupid……. But if there are people dumb enough to pay for it at 50$ a box the price will never come back down...

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Stopped by Rural King down in Martintucky the other day, they had a bunch of 22LR. Probably due to the fact that they wanted $6.00/box of 50. Clerk said "well it's obvious you don't want it very bad"! My reply was that he was smarter than he looked!:):

Yes, they have it. In most instances thought it's probably going to be a matter of how bad do you want it?

I have seen the same high prices in my area and they act like they are giving you a deal on the .22 ammo. For prices like this, it's time to turn around and walk out the door.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012

And I have refused to play that game. It has taken me several months to stockpile a small amount. But I think I have enough to buy a gun or 2 now if I can buy some ammo along with it.

If they dont, that is ok, I will wait and until I get some more.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    To answer the OPs question, yes most places will have some ammo set aside to sell you with the new gun. Now finding out which ones will be the trick. I think GM generally does.

As for how many rounds will you need? If the grandkids are new shooters, I would suggest starting them off by loading just one round at a time. It's safer, less intimidating, and will help to conserve ammo.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Some online retailers have sold out at $50/brick plus shipping. If one of the people who bought it for that price, decides to take a loss on the shipping and sell it for $50, is he a gouger?

Back to the OP, I have started seeing some retailers advertising a free bulk pack with the purchase of .22 rifle. I think they are aware it is a problem in some cases. I think for the average gun owner though, we have so much .22 ammo sitting around the house that it doesn't really enter into our decision on buying a new rifle or pistol.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I have no first hand experience, but I have heard that Gander Mountain keeps some in back for people that buy a gun. I don't know how many rounds they allow you to purchase either.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    To answer the OPs question, yes most places will have some ammo set aside to sell you with the new gun. Now finding out which ones will be the trick. I think GM generally does.

As for how many rounds will you need? If the grandkids are new shooters, I would suggest starting them off by loading just one round at a time. It's safer, less intimidating, and will help to conserve ammo.

That is my plan. I have been looking for a good bolt action single shot. I have several younger grandkids that can learn on it when its their time.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Gander Mountain here in Evansville keeps it aside if you buy a gun , actually they have just about every caliber in the back if the gun is sold , 5 boxes per gun.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When you stop to consider how much you pay for a gun at GM, it's not as though you are getting a deal on ammo. Tongue in cheek, there is something so fundamentally wrong with .22 ammo that costs 10 cents a shot. Granted I'm a geezer, but the 1 cent a shot .22 probably had something to do so many folks learning to shoot. A historian, I've never forgotten Yamamoto's reply when he was asked if he would invade the US. He said no, and opined there would be an American behind every blade of grass...with a gun.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Just the other day I picked up some Federal bulk pack for $25/550 at Wally World. If I happen across it again, I will see if I can pick up a bit more, and pass it along to those in need (without jacking up the price). I know the LGS in my town has .22 in stock, and he is selling it, but I cant tell you what his price is on it. I do know it is the Remington Hyper velocity stuff, was $4-5/50 before panic prices, but I also know he is pretty determined to keep his prices as reasonable as possible. I have seen him pass on buying ammo several times becasue he couldnt sell it for what he considered a reasonable price.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    I know some places that keep some ammo in the back for exactly this reason. Depending on who and where, you may have to ask about it. Gander usually has some .22lr in reserve for this purpose. I wouldn't count on it, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Just the other day I picked up some Federal bulk pack for $25/550 at Wally World. If I happen across it again, I will see if I can pick up a bit more, and pass it along to those in need (without jacking up the price). I know the LGS in my town has .22 in stock, and he is selling it, but I cant tell you what his price is on it. I do know it is the Remington Hyper velocity stuff, was $4-5/50 before panic prices, but I also know he is pretty determined to keep his prices as reasonable as possible. I have seen him pass on buying ammo several times becasue he couldnt sell it for what he considered a reasonable price.

im not opposed to paying 30$ for .22 bulk due to inflation and the shortage but when when I'm paying more for .22 than i am for 9mm or even .223/5.56 i have a real issue. But 50$ for a box of bulk is flat out stupid… but as i said before if there are people who will pay that ignorant price then theres nothing i can do about that.

And i just wanna thank all my fans and everyone who supported me in getting to 1000 posts….. this for all of you…… keep on shooting…….If you can afford the 50$ box of .22…..!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    im not opposed to paying 30$ for .22 bulk due to inflation and the shortage but when when I'm paying more for .22 than i am for 9mm or even .223/5.56 i have a real issue. But 50$ for a box of bulk is flat out stupid… but as i said before if there are people who will pay that ignorant price then theres nothing i can do about that.

Exactly. I would rather pay $30/box for bulk pack .22, and know that when I go to the store to buy it that I will find it, than not be able to find it at all, and the price be $20/box.
    Reasonable prices dont do any good if the product isnt on the shelf, but if it comes to paying crazy prices for something, I would rather just go without, or find an alternative. When I can buy bulk handgun ammo for the same(or less than) .22, I will sit on the .22 I have on hand, and shoot the handgun calibers.

Volt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Southport
    I found two 50rnd. boxes of Federal Match HV .22lr at a lgs last week. Price was decent and I was willing to pay it. The salesman said they usually have some out every week for general sale.

Top Bottom