• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    We've been on an outdoors kick this year and have been hiking a lot with the kids (8, 4, and 2) we've been doing salamonie river sf, salamonie res., mississenewa, and chain o lakes. What dnr properties have good trails for kids? Chain o lakes had 4 that our kids loved and were able to do. Our 2 year old refused to be carried and hiked a 1.3 mile trail this past weekend and loved every second of it. I believe it was trail 9 at chain o lakes that was a bit too much for the younger 2 and they had to be carried for a chunk of it. We're looking for some new properties to try out and bonus points if the property has a nature center.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    What about Matter Park at the north end of town?
    Too much drama everytime we go there always someone wanting to fight someone else. Can't remember if it was last time or the time before last that we went there someone stuck a gun out their car window and let off a couple rounds into the air on river road. Then there was the girl in a thong on the playground. We'll probably go there if they do the butterfly thing again this year though.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Too much drama everytime we go there always someone wanting to fight someone else. Can't remember if it was last time or the time before last that we went there someone stuck a gun out their car window and let off a couple rounds into the air on river road. Then there was the girl in a thong on the playground. We'll probably go there if they do the butterfly thing again this year though.
    I was giggling when I typed it, look son this is where you go to get a blowxzx after work before you go home. The few times I have been through it, something always catches my attention.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you want to wow them, Turkey Run, Shades, and McCormicks Creek. The rugged trails arent long, but are incredibly fun.

They involve wading, ladders, and other craziness.

The only gotcha is a couple of the trails in my mind the littlest would need to be carried through a couple sections of the creek part of the trails.

Just make sure you pack a complete change of clothes for the kids. Adults would only need new pants/socks/shoes.

Last edited:

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Check acres land trust website for some nature preserves. There are a few near mississinewa and salamonie.
    Kokiwanee across the river from salamonie state forest is an old girl scout camp.
    Hathaway preserve east of Wabash. Do the loop counterclockwise. When you come to a small bench, take the short trail behind it - watch the kiddos though, 80 ft bluff with no railing. After that stay to the left close to the creek for some interesting views the kids might like.
    And then there's 7 pillars nature preserve close to Peru. The pillers are across the river from the parking area. You can get trail maps from the acres website.
    Oh one more is Asherwood nature preserve on hwy 124 just north of mississinewa reservoir.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    If you plan on going to DNR properties several times throughout the year, you may want to invest in an Annual Entrance Pass, which is only $50 for the year. Just show them the card, and they'll let you through.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you plan on going to DNR properties several times throughout the year, you may want to invest in an Annual Entrance Pass, which is only $50 for the year. Just show them the card, and they'll let you through.
    I think the break even point is 5 or 6 visits for the year for a family of 4.

Also, a little known fact is once you pay for admission to a state park, you can get into any other state park same day for free. And there are quite a few parks that are less than an hour drive between. So you can get there early and hike for a bit, then grab a bite to eat on the road and spend the afternoon at another nearby park for free.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I was giggling when I typed it, look son this is where you go to get a blowxzx after work before you go home. The few times I have been through it, something always catches my attention.
    It's a shame its the way it is. it has potential but the people ruin it. We used to take the oldest there but each year it gets worse. I have seen a couple going at it there too so you're not too far off lol.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    If you want to wow them, Turkey Run, Shades, and McCormicks Creek. The rugged trails arent long, but are incredibly fun.

They involve wading, ladders, and other craziness.

The only gotcha is a couple of the trails in my mind the littlest would need to be carried through a couple sections of the creek part of the trails.

Just make sure you pack a complete change of clothes for the kids. Adults would only need new pants/socks/shoes.
    Mccormicks creek is on the short list. I was
    just watching a video they put out on the clean up from last year's tornado.
    I meant to get one for this last trip and let it slip my mind. We're getting one before the next trip. It would have paid for itself by now if we got one at the beginning of the year.
    Another vote for Spring Mill.
    In a couple weeks we are going to stay at deam lake sra and go to spring mill one day and falls of the ohio another day. I really loved spring mill when i was little. We'll go back next year so we can take the boat tour since we can't this year with our youngest.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I meant to get one for this last trip and let it slip my mind. We're getting one before the next trip. It would have paid for itself by now if we got one at the beginning of the year.
    That was my idea. I probably hiked at Potato Creek around 10 times last year, but didn't find out about the card until mid way through.

Top Bottom