DNR Proposal for .243 and up rifle for deer season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    at 1000 yards a .308 will have lost enough energy that it will not go through a 8-10 inch diameter tree but it will go through one about that size at 20 yards the same as a 12 gauge slug will. I know it will as I have done it with both. The trees were not oak but rather a maple tree. I shot the one tree with my .308 because I thought my scope was off because I missed what seemed like an easy shot. The tree confirmed that my scope was not off. The 12 gauge was really to see if it could go through and it did using a 3" shell.

only point is that if you are worried about HPR and you are hunting in an area with mainly saplings and very young trees then you will continue to be worried so you will need to either find another spot or ensure your not around idiots. If you hunting with a lot of mature trees, just stay close to one.

I like hunting from a stand high up. While it may not guarantee 100% safety, I feel better that no one will shoot me from behind by accident or on purpose

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    There is a MUCH bigger chance of a hunter getting injured or killed falling out of a tree stand or having an auto accident on the way to go hunting..

Last edited:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Heh...I've sent a sabotted ML bullet through 3/8" of steel at 100 yards. Tell me how a "high power rifle" is going to be more dangerous in the woods.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I don't want any chance some idiot will be out there with something underpowered that is legal wounding deer.

Having hunted on 5 of the 7 continents and most states in the US, it is my experience that it is typically underpowered skills sets that wound animals rather than equipment.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    I've hung targets on mature, live trees and never had a .308 blow out the backside, let alone through thousands of trees.

A stand of trees is not a solid backstop. There are plenty of examples of cases where people fired into a stand of trees, and the bullet traversed an impressive distance without hitting a tree before hitting someone. An example in the Zionsville area a number of years ago where a 45ACP went approximately 200 yards through a forest before going through the side of a house and killing someone comes to mind. After the fact, they found a lot of marks on trees where said person had test-fired rounds into the woods and they had hit trees but one eventually made it through and killed someone.

Anyone who relies on a stand of trees to stop a bullet is a complete idiot. If this offends you I am not sorry.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    A stand of trees is not a solid backstop. There are plenty of examples of cases where people fired into a stand of trees, and the bullet traversed an impressive distance without hitting a tree before hitting someone. An example in the Zionsville area a number of years ago where a 45ACP went approximately 200 yards through a forest before going through the side of a house and killing someone comes to mind. After the fact, they found a lot of marks on trees where said person had test-fired rounds into the woods and they had hit trees but one eventually made it through and killed someone.

Anyone who relies on a stand of trees to stop a bullet is a complete idiot. If this offends you I am not sorry.

Just out of curiosity, how much "umph" does a 45acp have left at 200 yds?

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    For a 45 auto:
    230 gr has approx. 342 ft-lbs at 50 yards and 317 at 100 yards
    185 gr has approx. 299ft-lbs at 50 yard and 254 at 100 yards

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I looked up the incident...............article says .45 caliber.
    Never says what cartridge/platform though.

Wonder if it .454 Casull.

Or a muzzleloader saboted round.

It's still a moot issue. There are ALWAYS random occurances that defy the averages. The brakes of a modern well maintained vehicle virtually never go out without warning. Except when they do. No one ever gets hit by a meteorite, except Beth Hodges.

Using the statistical exception to prove your point is faulty methodology. Thus far the experience of other states that allow hunting with rifle calibers in rifles, some states which are similar to Indiana with regard to terrain, that there has been no increase in accidental shooting rates during hunting season means that it will not be the bloodbath some seem to want it desperately to be to prove their point simply because "they don't hunt the way I do so it is wrong."

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Chalk me up as someone eager for this change to go fully legal.
    After all, our neighbor to the immediate south allows it.
    Pennsylvania has allowed it for over a century now, and I've yet to hear about the yearly death toll from all those "yahoos" with their high-powered rifles.
    All this hysteria reminds me of the anti-hunters going nuts when Indiana legalized dove hunting over twenty years ago.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Dove hunt years ago...........I got shot by some dumbass blasting at a sparrow hawk coming in low looking for cripples at Winamac.
    If not for a branch right by me, I'd probably be blind.
    3 generations of dumb*ss too.

I hope they rifle hunt, and SURROUND their target.

met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    after hunting in Missouri with HP rifles for years I say that if you increase the range a poor shooter can make a poor shot the amount of wasted game increases. as for the safety of it all northern missouri looks almost dead similar to northern Indiana. if the DNR is worried about increased deer kills move rifle season out of the rut.

Top Bottom