• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I am having a time removing the front sight on my Ruger SR1911. Now I have removed front sights and replaced them on 2 1911's in the past and it was easy and problem free. This one is giving me fits. I have a Dawson precision to replace it with and they give you a little punch made of Aluminum. I have pounded on it until this punch is destroyed. I then used a brass punch. I still have not moved the front sight. Any realistic suggestions? Am I missing something here.

Thanks for any knowledgeable assistance.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Im no master gunsmith, but Ive always had luck putting the slide in the freezer for a few hours before drifting sights in or out....to get the metal to contract. assuming the front sight is a different steel than the stainless slide they will contract at different rates...IE "loosen up".

I'll second the "press out in one direction" notion but I havent seen that very much in my limited experience.

$.02
    God bless
    -Shred

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I called STI about one I could not budge a while back, they said the loctite they use will get a bit pliable at around 180 F. I was able to get mine out after heating it up a bit. Obviously if you go too far you can damage your gun.

I've had a couple that I ended up basically sawing in half with the cutting wheel of a dremel (again a very tedious thing that can really screw up a gun if you are not real careful).

I took another to a gunsmith (a relatives gun and I did not want to get froggy) after determining the job was going to be tough. He progressed from smallest to largest hammer with no luck & then we decided it was best to send it back to the manufacturer.

And I had one front sight that came right out like you hope that it would :).

Anyway, first thing I'd do is call Ruger & see if they have any hot tips.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Put some Kroil oil where the sight meets the slide, let it set over night. Hit it again next day with Kroil, Get out the hair dryer, while you have slide securely clamped and ready to pound, heat up the slide under the sight.
    Be sure your are trying to move it left to right.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    It was nice meeting you this morning Fuzz. I'm glad i could get that sight off for you and hopefully you keep shooting and enjoying your SR1911

Hey you beat me on here. LOL I really appreciate Nate at ZX guns in FT WAYNE taking his time and assisting me with this sight. They have always had great service in this store and good prices as well. I will personally remember this in the future for my gun needs.

Thanks again Nate and the new sight is on and looking good and will be tested thoroughly tomorrow.

Top Bottom