Did the IN DNR do away with a barrel length requirement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I thought the IN DNR had a barrel length requirement of 20" or so and went to confirm that on the website. I didn't find anything regarding barrel length. Did the IN DNR do away with a barrel length requirement?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of rebarreling my 308 and going with something a tad shorter.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    Handguns, other than muzzleloading handguns, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. There is no maximum cartridge length for those used in handguns. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches. A rifle with a barrel less than 18 inches is not considered a handgun.
    thats from the hunting regulations book. still appears to be 4" as minimum length

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Handguns, other than muzzleloading handguns, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. There is no maximum cartridge length for those used in handguns. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches. A rifle with a barrel less than 18 inches is not considered a handgun.
    thats from the hunting regulations book. still appears to be 4" as minimum length

Thank you! That's what I remembered.
    But that last part about about 18" barrels on rifles not being a handgun? :scratch:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Thank you! That's what I remembered.
    But that last part about about 18" barrels on rifles not being a handgun? :scratch:

I believe that is part of the aforementioned SBR rule. At one time there was a loophole that could have allowed an SBR to be considered as a handgun for hunting purposes and thus circumvent the rules against using a rifle at that time.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I believe that is part of the aforementioned SBR rule. At one time there was a loophole that could have allowed an SBR to be considered as a handgun for hunting purposes and thus circumvent the rules against using a rifle at that time.

Ah, I see! When looking at it in that context I understand what they meant.

Top Bottom