• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    Bought some parts from a crowdfund a while back. Got a few raw uppers. finally got around to building with them this month and noticed no m4 feed ramps. I know i don't need the ramps, but i wanted them. I of course didn't have the correct tools on hand to do the job. I chucked up a dremel grinding stone into the only tool i could find. Happened to be a hammer drill. I guess when you can see this going.... Think it's salvageable?

If it's a loss, i'll call it a lesson learned.

20160128_205940_zpsb7akyfcj.jpg

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    Does it still chamber rounds consistently?

well i haven't gotten that far yet. I just slapped another upper on the build. I also picked up and 80% that miraculously got shipped, but it didn't take ano very well. figured i would use the two in a 300 blk build. Ill try chambering some rounds tomorrow. Thanks

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No knock but seriously.....proper tools for the job.
    I only stress this as I and many of my friends have spent insane money on tooling over the years. It makes life and projects so much easier.

See if it will chamber rounds before you pitch it.

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    I would run it. There's not alot of stress in that area, the round is higher up from the receiver so it wouldn't be impeded by those marks. I'd buy the upper from you if you want to sell it pm me...

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have to admit, I have a couple of guns that I can never sell. Not all one type either. I had good intentions too. But at least they still function reliably.

I guess thats what you need to find out.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I very much doubt rounds from the left side of the mag will chamber reliably. I had an Adams Arms barrel with the feed ramps out of spec (much less dramatically than your situation) and it was nothing but problems.

This was enough to catch the nose of the rounds from the right side of the mag...

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    You won't know until you try it. By some miracle it might run and if it doesn't you don't have to worry about messing it up by tweeking it until it does. If you have to use your drill again I recommend that you take it out of the "Hammer" function.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I very much doubt rounds from the left side of the mag will chamber reliably. I had an Adams Arms barrel with the feed ramps out of spec (much less dramatically than your situation) and it was nothing but problems.

This was enough to catch the nose of the rounds from the right side of the mag...

That was a headache.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    Yep lesson learned. Shouldn't have held the flashlight in my mouth while i was working on it. Might tinker with some alumiweld. almost didn't notice the comment about jbweld was in purple.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Is this a joke? Every time I hear "dremmel" in the gunsmithing forum, I cringe a good bit. There's very few things (like chopping a FSB down or sanding off Glock finger grooves) that a dremmel is appropriate for.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    Is this a joke? Every time I hear "dremmel" in the gunsmithing forum, I cringe a good bit. There's very few things (like chopping a FSB down or sanding off Glock finger grooves) that a dremmel is appropriate for.

what do you suggest other then a dremel? a file? i've done another with a dremel and finished up with a jewler's file with no issues. I'm being serious here, please tell me how it should be done. thanks

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    How should it be done? It shouldn't. If you want M4 feed ramps, buy an upper with M4 feed ramps. Trying to put in M4 feed ramps with a dremel is.....well, it's most definitely not the right way to go about it even if you're dead set on machining in feed ramps.

If you really wanted to do it right, you would need some sort of a jig to file it appropriately or a mill. But the real answer is that it's not a standard gunsmithing operation because you can just buy an upper with M4 feed ramps if you really want it. A dremel most certainly is not the way to go about it.....as you can see from your handy work.

what do you suggest other then a dremel? a file? i've done another with a dremel and finished up with a jewler's file with no issues. I'm being serious here, please tell me how it should be done. thanks

This would be the correct answer.

pitch it...spend 40 bucks and get a new one...this is insane

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

In the right hands a Dremel can do works of art.
    In the wrong hands it can be a force to cause much sadness.

I have a couple of Dremels. the cable wand, all the bits and pieces available for them.
    I have achieved much with them and have destroyed a few things experimenting in the same fashion.

As with any tool.......take your time. Clamp down your work. Brace your self up. Run the tool do not let the tool run you.

Oh......and get some proper lighting over your bench.

Top Bottom