• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Good guns. Taken many a boar with them but not as practical as some other firearms out there. Very accurate and for me reliable though I have heard some complaints about feeding issues. Never from me, all of mine run. New production has them built here as IMI has totaly been taken out of the picture. Unless you need something magazine fed, you may want to look into a good S&W performance center 629 for that kind of $$$

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I have been tempted to get a .357 Mag variant so I know a little.

In your case look for a Mark VII. The reason being is it is supposed to feed 44 magnum the most reliably. The Mark XIX is designed to switch between .44 and .50 more easily, but the downside is it is more finicky with .44.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've had two. Still have one of them. Very accurate, mild recoil for a .44 Mag. Only downsides IMO are initial cost and that you must shoot jacketed bullets because of the gas system, which limits your ammo choices. If you get one try some PMC 44B ammo. 185 gr semi jacketed hollow point. It was very accurate out to about 150 yds in both of mine.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I've had two. Still have one of them. Very accurate, mild recoil for a .44 Mag. Only downsides IMO are initial cost and that you must shoot jacketed bullets because of the gas system, which limits your ammo choices. If you get one try some PMC 44B ammo. 185 gr semi jacketed hollow point. It was very accurate out to about 150 yds in both of mine.
    I'm shooting cast bullets out of mine, no problems, and have taken several deer in WI with it, 120 yards with shooting sticks, open sights. My brother has the 50 AE, similiar holster, with a red-dot sight, real nice!

Get a Chesty Puller holster from "simplyrugged", it carries great when hunting or fly fishing Alaskan waters.

I got mine for $650 used, it has a few scratches, but the deer don't care.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    i was under the impression that you could not deer hunt in indiana with a semi auto handgun. am i wrong?
    I hunt WI with mine DE, just shoot a crappy old 20 gauge in IN (deer just fall over and die!). As for IN regulations, I've never read a semi-auto is a no-no, but never dug very deep either.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I've been thinking the same. Can optics be added to a DE?

Yes

There are 3 variations with the ability to retaim iron sights.

1st, MKVII and earlier have a dovetail barrel. There is an adapter that mounts to this dovetail and converts it to a weraver base. This option sucks thus I woudlnt recommend scoping a MK VII

2nd, 1st gen MK XIX has a wide area on the barrel with two milled slots for 2 rings. Standard Weaver style rings will work but you are limited to teh location of the two milled slots in teh barrel

3rd, 2nd gen MK XIX, has a full 1913 pic rail milled into the barrel

I'm sure there are mounts as well that will let you use a red dot in place of the rear sight, but then you are limited to no iron sights

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I've had two both were .50 though. One was high polished chrome which picked up finger prints and smudges like crazy so I sold it and got one in brushed chrome. I've been meaning to pick up a .44 barrel for mine. I've used a friends barrel and it's pretty fun. It's amazing how a Desert Eagle can eat up the felt recoil of a .44 mag.

I've never had a single malfunction on a Desert Eagle. .50 or .44 Not one. But of course I also maintain them very well and also it's not like it gets shot a lot in a single setting. I did however get off 50 rounds problem free without stopping to clean it. I've owned a few 1911s that could not do that.

I think a lot of reported malfunctions are due to operator error. Such as the magazine has to be able to free float. If you cup the bottom of it you can cause a feeding error very easily. The only problem I've ever had while shooting one is every body and their brother wants to shoot it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom