• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I was looking though my Mag's today and I noticed that 2 of my rounds have identical dents in them. I can only assume it's something from my XDs. I will get that looked at, but I also wonder is the Ammo safe to shoot with the dent in it?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not knowing how bad they are, I'd just replace them. Shoot them at the range if they are not too bad.

Not worth having a failure when defense is needed right?

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Not knowing how bad they are, I'd just replace them. Shoot them at the range if they are not too bad.

Not worth having a failure when defense is needed right?

I was thinking of just putting them though my XDs at the range. I'll talk to the range people when I go there to make sure it's safe to fire.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    dent.JPG
    Here is a Pic of them. Sorry for the size. I have no idea how to make the forums shrink them down. It looks like the case was dented just behind the bullet.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Why would it be from your gun??
    Was this new ammo? Are you the only one who handled it?
    It looks like where the back of a round would hit on top of the previous round when loading a mag.
    Imho of course

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Why would it be from your gun??
    Was this new ammo? Are you the only one who handled it?
    It looks like where the back of a round would hit on top of the previous round when loading a mag.
    Imho of course

I'm the only one who has worked the ammo. It's Hornady XTP 200gr JHP. I have an issue with the sear not resetting upon a mag change, I was thinking this could have been something else with my XDs that many have been incorrect as well.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I had this happen to one of my Critical Duty rounds...For me I was ejecting the round and my hand was over the ejection port at the time and the round got caught between the slide, like a stove pipe. From everything I've read, I wouldn't fire it and just set it aside until you can take it somewhere for disposal. Not sure about your gun but regardless I wouldn't chance shooting it. Just my :twocents:

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Is that anything Springfield can/will fix?
    The issue with the sear is minor and I have not contacted Springfield yet. I'm going to put another box down range to make sure it's my XDs and not me. Also I need my XDs for a trip I'm going on tomorrow.

I had this happen to one of my Critical Duty rounds...For me I was ejecting the round and my hand was over the ejection port at the time and the round got caught between the slide, like a stove pipe. From everything I've read, I wouldn't fire it and just set it aside until you can take it somewhere for disposal. Not sure about your gun but regardless I wouldn't chance shooting it. Just my :twocents:

The sear is not resetting properly after a mag change. I was thinking the same thing. I will make sure I have no dents in the cases when I double check all the rounds tomorrow.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Yikes! My XD has never done anything close to that. I don't understand your sear issue. What is not resetting and how is that FUBARing your ammo? Pull those rounds apart, I want to see the inside of the cases.

I'll tell you this much though: any gun doing THAT to your ammo is NOT something I would be relying on until this issue is addressed.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Can you give us a better description of the issue with the "sear not resetting after a mag change"? I'm not understanding. Are you saying when you cycle the slide after pulling the trigger that the trigger does not reset?

About the other issue, have you chambered these rounds previously and then cleared the gun?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I have done the same thing on my glock.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Can you give us a better description of the issue with the "sear not resetting after a mag change"? I'm not understanding. Are you saying when you cycle the slide after pulling the trigger that the trigger does not reset?

About the other issue, have you chambered these rounds previously and then cleared the gun?

I was having an issue with the Sear not resetting after I dropped the slide on to a new mag with a live round. I've done some dry fire with my XDs and I'm thinking it may have been an issue with my grip.

Were they some of the last rounds loaded in the mag?
    Just wondering if a stiff spring and/or mag loader could have anything to do with it.

They were the last rounds loaded in the mag, and they have been loaded/cleared from my XDs.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Were they some of the last rounds loaded in the mag?
    Just wondering if a stiff spring and/or mag loader could have anything to do with it.

I just tore a brand new mag (factory) out of the package and purposely tried to duplicate that dent. Nope. I can't do it no matter how hard I try to jam it in there. Looks like slide slamming on case is the only way to do that.

As far as the sear issue, if I'm understanding you correctly, dropping the slide causes a slamfire? :n00b:

Voodoo574

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    South Bend/ Mishawaka
    Ive seen dents like yours before. I used Critical Defense GuardDog rounds. Ive found that the last couple rounds I load in the mag get this dent. Its is from pressing one round on top of another as I load the mag. I shot them at the range to see if it was going to be a problem. Both rounds I tried went bang and hit the target. Not sure if this is your problem or not but I hope it might help.

MML

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    NWI
    I agree with several of the responses they are probably getting dented during the loading process whether by hand or with a magazine loader.

Top Bottom