• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Asking a question,because I don't have the answer. A friend of mine got a deniel letter today. They supposably got a DWI and possession of marijuana charge in 1989,which was supposibly dismissed.
    So they didn't put it on their app. The letter says they made a false statement. You think this is enough to get denied or you think its something else?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Yes. he should have listed it. Your friend needs to verify the status of his arrest in 1989. He may think it got dismissed but perhaps it did not. It's better to have proof from the courts than a foggy memory.

If it's not documented, it didn't happen.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Asking a question,because I don't have the answer. A friend of mine got a deniel letter today. They supposably got a DWI and possession of marijuana charge in 1989,which was supposibly dismissed.
    So they didn't put it on their app. The letter says they made a false statement. You think this is enough to get denied or you think its something else?
    "They"?
    they refers to more than one person.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    "They"?
    they refers to more than one person.

I assume "they" instead of "him/her/it/he/she/it". Don't say that too fast.

Definition three:
    (used with an indefinite singular antecedent in place of the definite masculine he or the definite feminine she): Whoever is of voting age, whether they are interested in politics or not, should vote.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Weird. When I was in high school, I got into some minor trouble. I was given the option to do a buttload of community service and in return, the charges were expunged. I was told that the expungement, plus the fact it occurred when I was a minor, would essentially make the charge disappear.

Now, roughly 8 years later (I'm young), I never check any boxes about any criminal charges on a 4473, on my LTCH permit, or any other background check, and have never had any rejected.

So if the charge was truly dismissed, would it still show on their record?

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Weird. When I was in high school, I got into some minor trouble. I was given the option to do a buttload of community service and in return, the charges were expunged. I was told that the expungement, plus the fact it occurred when I was a minor, would essentially make the charge disappear.

Now, roughly 8 years later (I'm young), I never check any boxes about any criminal charges on a 4473, on my LTCH permit, or any other background check, and have never had any rejected.

I had a 'minor in possession of tobacco' when I was younger. It was expunged after going through the deterrent procedure of a fine and an 8-hour class. Fast forward to my LTCH application when I had just turned 19, I didn't want to go through what the OP's "friend" went through so I asked the lady (this was when you filled out your paperwork at the Sheriff's office) what to do for that section. She told me to write it down with "expunged" in parentheses next to it. Probably what the "friend" should've done.

Just another reason I'd rather do important paperwork in person, the ability to ask questions.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I had a public intox when I was younger. I went through first time offenders program so I was never convicted and it was to be expunged. I know about 3 years later, the arrest was still on my record and I was told I would need to hire a lawyer to have it removed. I said to hell with it and just it be. When I applied for my LTCH, I included it and asked about leaving it on at the Sherrif's office. The clerk said to leave it on so I did and got my LTHC with no problems.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I assume "they" instead of "him/her/it/he/she/it". Don't say that too fast.

Definition three:
    (used with an indefinite singular antecedent in place of the definite masculine he or the definite feminine she): Whoever is of voting age, whether they are interested in politics or not, should vote.
    But he was talking about a specific person.:p

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Kut, would the Arrest, still show, even if the charges were dropped ?????

Would that make a difference .....

Typically yeah.

And this is why if you are honest and upfront (listing it and explaining charges were dropped) they wont simply stop when their story doesnt match the court records on their face. By failing to be totally upfront, they see a mismatch and stop there. If they had been upfront and explained, the examiner would most likely have dug deeper and confirmed they were really OK. (or not if they werent quite)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

You were a minor. That's a BIG difference.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    If you're arrested either as a juvenile or an adult you're usually fingerprinted by the arresting agency. These prints are then forwarded to the FBI and stored in their database along with the original charges resulting in your arrest. This database does not include the final disposition of your case. Even if your case is dismissed or expunged, your arrest will likely appear on any background check that's run on you for the rest of your life. This is why you ALWAYS disclose any arrest history because if not, you are being dishonest on your application. The only exceptions to this are usually minor juvenile offenses in which the arresting agency decides not to fingerprint you. The bottom line is if you've had your prints taken, list it on any application that asks. Now if it only asks about convictions then that's a different story.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Isn't it funny how our laws tolerate the use of an arrest record against an individual when the mantra of our legal system is "innocent until proven guilty"? Your arrest record should be completely meaningless in ANYTHING. It's the conviction that matters. I had my RENEWAL denied several years ago because of an arrest in college. I had to hire Relford to straighten it out.

WarJunky91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    If you're arrested either as a juvenile or an adult you're usually fingerprinted by the arresting agency. These prints are then forwarded to the FBI and stored in their database along with the original charges resulting in your arrest. This database does not include the final disposition of your case. Even if your case is dismissed or expunged, your arrest will likely appear on any background check that's run on you for the rest of your life. This is why you ALWAYS disclose any arrest history because if not, you are being dishonest on your application. The only exceptions to this are usually minor juvenile offenses in which the arresting agency decides not to fingerprint you. The bottom line is if you've had your prints taken, list it on any application that asks. Now if it only asks about convictions then that's a different story.
    4473 and the LTCH only ask about convictions, there is no option to list arrests, it's a Yes or No question.

Top Bottom