Democrats admit there will be NO ban of Assault Weapons, so why crazy prices?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    For those of you who think you can trust the government, remember the American Indian . That trust thing worked real good for them.

rwhitmore8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    The United States of America
    Because people are dumb enough to keep paying for it. As long as its flying off the shelves the price will never drop. Manufacturers are loving this. The day people stop paying 1000 dollars for a 400 dollar ak47 is the day you see the first price drop. Dont plan on it coming down all at once. Even before this mess everything was still crazy expensive compared to what it was before the last ban. Dont expect it to ever be the same.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    And you're not selling it at prices you think everyone else should be charging.

What are you talking about?

What does my not playing the greed game have to do with people overcharging? I am not selling anything as you noted, I am not gouging anyone, don't believe in, don't like to see it.

So what is your point?

You don't think I own a store do you? And I am obviously not using the classifieds, so...?

Walken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Clark County
    D.C. vs Heller is not written in stone. It is written on the still beating hearts of 5 men.

Should 1 of those hearts stop, everything changes. I haven't completely bought into the panic, but you never know what is going to happen next.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    D.C. vs Heller is not written in stone. It is written on the still beating hearts of 5 men.

Should 1 of those hearts stop, everything changes. I haven't completely bought into the panic, but you never know what is going to happen next.
    Damn fine point, someone rep this person for me please :rockwoot:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I don't think this current run on guns and ammo is like the ones in the past. Why worry about the availability of them and the right to own/carry somewhere in the future? A couple thoughts. Think back to the Dem super majority in the Senate and control of the US House from 2008-2010. It happened then and it can happen again. Obama got his health law in. Next time it's guns and everything else he wants. Can't happen again, you say? One word-Murdoch. One slip of the tongue about an issue that shouldn't have even been in the campaign and we now have a new Dem senator in Indiana. If something like that were to happen in a couple House races in '14 we could be in deep doo.

Because of the above freightening scenario and the fact that a lot of the sheep are finally awake now I believe the current run will last much longer than a lot of you think. The run on ARs started immediately after Newtown. The run on Glocks and other semi-autos followed. Now ammo is disappearing. A month ago you could still find some of the popular calibers on line. Now almost everything in .38, .357, 9mm, 40, 45, .22, .308, 30-06, 5.56 etc. is as scarce as a bible at the Democratic convention.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What are you talking about?

What does my not playing the greed game have to do with people overcharging? I am not selling anything as you noted, I am not gouging anyone, don't believe in, don't like to see it.

So what is your point?

You don't think I own a store do you? And I am obviously not using the classifieds, so...?

You feel sorry for those who can't buy or or having to pay high prices, no? As typical of all the others who complain about the greedy gougers, you're not selling your stuff at prices you think others should be charging. The only thing that will bring the prices down is an increase in supply. What are you doing to increase the supply?

If it wasn't for greed, we'd all still live in caves and drag our women home by their pokey tails.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    My responses in red. We are not animals, we all have free will. We choose our actions, each and every one of us. I believe it is not how long you live that is the measure of your life, but rather how well you live what life you have.

You feel sorry for those who can't buy or or having to pay high prices, no?

No, who I feel sorry for is America. I am disappointed that the mindset of Americans has become greed is King. I am very disappointed in the people of the pro gun world. We are our own worst enemy. Read my tag line. Unfounded fear mongering was the major force in driving prices up as drastically as they did from 2008 to 2012. I don't know of any anti gun legislation that Obama either proposed or signed off on in that time period. The only gun legislation that I am aware of that Obama was involved in was when he signed off on allowing guns in parks. I don't like Obama and I think he simply goes which ever way is most politically beneficial for him. But we fueled the fires of fear that he was coming after our guns. When pushed in 2013 he did in fact sign off on anti gun executive orders, that was 4 years after we the gun community first cried havoc. Be careful what you wish for it might just come true.

As typical of all the others who complain about the greedy gougers, you're not selling your stuff at prices you think others should be charging. The only thing that will bring the prices down is an increase in supply. What are you doing to increase the supply?

So I am against greedy gouging. How exactly does that morally compel me to sell off my stuff? And you are dead wrong. Supply is not the only thing that will bring prices down. We control that. I have weapons I could have sold at artificially inflated prices. But I choose not to. It is called free will. I don't have to do anything to increase supply. I choose not to participate in the gouging that is what I am doing. I bought a rifle from Fort Liberty last month that was actually cheaper than prices online. Not all retailers are gouging their customers either. Fort Liberty is not the only LGS around that has chosen the high road, many are still selling at reasonable prices when they have stock.

If it wasn't for greed, we'd all still live in caves and drag our women home by their pokey tails.

I disagree with this statement whole heartily. It is not simply greed that motivates a good man. But if I have to explain that to you then the conversation is already lost before it begins.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I too think that the big increase in buying is mostly by new gun owners, although there are a lot of folks who never bought in volume before (maybe for financial reasons) and suddenly found themselves short on ammo/ reloading supplies. Gun owners are a funny lot. They really get the rumor mill going and get all panicky quickly, but in all fairness, our anti-gun administration really did give us a reason to worry this time. The only thing that stands between us and draconian laws are another mass shooting of children (God forbid) or the election of a majority of anti-gun people in the upcoming mid-term election. Since the emotions have waned somewhat after the tragedy at Newtown, it looks like people are still pretty much divided on whether or not there should be a, so-called assault weapon ban. We need to win over public opinion. People will continue to buy at faster rates than the manufacturers can produce. The firearms/ ammunition industry in the U.S. isn't that huge and their ability to get raw materials isn't unlimited. My crystal ball says that by summer, the panic will subside somewhat and ammo will be back on the shelves, as the demand is satiated. If the either of the two scenarios happen (Democrat victory at mid-term and/ or another mass killing) the panic buying will go into a second phase.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My responses in red. We are not animals, we all have free will. We choose our actions, each and every one of us. I believe it is not how long you live that is the measure of your life, but rather how well you live what life you have.

The only way to lower prices is for supply to outpace demand. Higher prices entice those holding ammo to sell. Why would anyone sell a normally $10 box of ammo right now for $10 when it can't be replaced for $20? The seller is taking a gamble that he can later replace it for less than $20. Call it greed if you want but it's increasing supply.

You don't go to work for free so why should who were smart enough to prepare provide those who weren't with a service for no profit? The guy doubling his money at least gives the unprepared the opportunity to buy. You're offering nothing more than harsh words over the Internet.

Conservatives loved to beat the gun ban drum over the last 5 years to try and sway votes. Now that the panic they tried so desperately to create just a few short months ago has set in, they want to tell everyone no bans are coming? Why? Because its now costing them more?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Again my responses in red.

The only way to lower prices is for supply to outpace demand. Higher prices entice those holding ammo to sell. Why would anyone sell a normally $10 box of ammo right now for $10 when it can't be replaced for $20? The seller is taking a gamble that he can later replace it for less than $20. Call it greed if you want but it's increasing supply.

Nope not true at all. I will use Fort Liberty as an example once again. I seriously doubt that Fort Liberty would have sold me the rifle at a reasonable price if they were not making a profit on it. If a retailer knows they will have to charge more then they will naturally, if they charge more simply becuase they think they can get away with it they are price gouging. Again to their credit, many LGS's are not price gouging.

You don't go to work for free so why should who were smart enough to prepare provide those who weren't with a service for no profit? The guy doubling his money at least gives the unprepared the opportunity to buy. You're offering nothing more than harsh words over the Internet.

You don't work for free, I also don't think you get paid double or triple what you are worth. Profiteering does not make anyone a hero. Profiteers are only admired by other profiteers. What makes you think it is the unprepared that are paying the ridiculous prices? It is the scared and unwise / uneducated that are playing the game. Not the necessarily the unprepared, nobody needs any particular gun. They simply want it, no more than that. And in many cases they want it because they are just scared, subject to the fear mongering. (by the way I do work for free sometimes. I volunteer in an effort to better my community. But I got the point of your statement anyway.)

Conservatives loved to beat the gun ban drum over the last 5 years to try and sway votes. Now that the panic they tried so desperately to create just a few short months ago has set in, they want to tell everyone no bans are coming? Why? Because its now costing them more?

I have no answer for this, can anyone explain politicians? By the way it was not just conservatives that chanted the fear mongering. The fear has run rampant since 2008. It started the moment that Obama was announced as a candidate for president.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Again my responses in red.

I'm not a profiteer and I've not sold a thing since this panic started. But I don't begrudge anyone selling their stuff for the maximum amount someone will pay for it. Isn't this what we're doing with our 401k's and stocks? We buy low and hope to make many times over it by the time we retire? But now that it's guns and ammo that have jumped in price, gun owners get bent out of shape.

Volunteering and charity are noble things but they're not what makes the world go round. Take away the profit motive and see what our quality of living does. The rich pay exorbitant amounts for new luxury items. Once the research and development are done, manufacturers are then able to make those same goods cheaper to the point that single mothers can afford them in many instances. If you haven't read Atlas Shrugged, I suggest you do so. You can count on the goodness of others to survive or you can take your life into your own hands and pave your own way. Continually beating down the idea of profit motive will have a far more negative affect on our economy and standard of living than selling a 22 bulk pack for $60. If you don't want to pay it, fine. I'm not either. But it's none of my damned business if others are. I'm not their nanny.

If I had a dollar for every time I was told by another INGOer it will be my fault if our guns got banned because I didn't vote for Romney, I'd buy every $60 bulk pack of 22 available. It wasn't just politicians driving the scare, there were a great many on this very forum doing it as well. Now that the panic has happened, they want to cry how unfair it is they can't buy their ammo at old prices. Hypocrites, the lot of em.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Greed is King

I totally agree. All these greedy people trying to get prepared people to sell their stock at prices well below current market value are getting on my nerves.

Wasn't there a discussion somewhere about coveting your neighbors ass? In today's language maybe it should say "thou shalt not covet they neighbors ammo cache"???

Greed is a double edged sword leveled at those whu won't give you something you want. Lets all assume the Lotus position and consider that for a while. Mmmmmmmmm.... Mmmmmmmm....

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Responses in Red.

I'm not a profiteer and I've not sold a thing since this panic started. But I don't begrudge anyone selling their stuff for the maximum amount someone will pay for it. Isn't this what we're doing with our 401k's and stocks? We buy low and hope to make many times over it by the time we retire? But now that it's guns and ammo that have jumped in price, gun owners get bent out of shape.

OK kneel and I will take this pencil and knight you for not being a profiteer. Feel better? Again you are trying to draw a crooked line between point A and B. Best we stop now as nothing will change with further exchange between us.

Volunteering and charity are noble things but they're not what makes the world go round. Take away the profit motive and see what our quality of living does. The rich pay exorbitant amounts for new luxury items. Once the research and development are done, manufacturers are then able to make those same goods cheaper to the point that single mothers can afford them in many instances. If you haven't read Atlas Shrugged, I suggest you do so. You can count on the goodness of others to survive or you can take your life into your own hands and pave your own way. Continually beating down the idea of profit motive will have a far more negative affect on our economy and standard of living than selling a 22 bulk pack for $60. If you don't want to pay it, fine. I'm not either. But it's none of my damned business if others are. I'm not their nanny.

I said I got your point about not working for free.

If I had a dollar for every time I was told by another INGOer it will be my fault if our guns got banned because I didn't vote for Romney, I'd buy every $60 bulk pack of 22 available. It wasn't just politicians driving the scare, there were a great many on this very forum doing it as well. Now that the panic has happened, they want to cry how unfair it is they can't buy their ammo at old prices. Hypocrites, the lot of em.

Sorry the voting for Romney thing is such a issue. Here let me publicly say this - I don't think you not voting for Romney will be the cause of us losing our guns. There does that make you feel better? I hope so, because I sincerely mean it. And you are absolutely correct it was not just politicians driving the scare, many, far too many jumped on that band wagon.

This concludes our healthy, friendly, witty banter on this subject. I hope we all learned something and are better people for it. Have a good day.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm old enough to remember when after the movie, "Dirty Harry" first came out. There was a huge demand for the S&W Model 29 revolver. Dealers were charging far above the MSRP. People who wanted one badly enough and could afford it, paid the inflated price. Others waited for many years and bought one for less than the MSRP. I really don't see any problem when it comes to these sort of products. I do have a long memory and might make note of these folks and not deal with them ever, but that is my choice under a system of free enterprise. I do have a problem when people or businesses gouge during times of true emergencies on necessary things.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I totally agree. All these greedy people trying to get prepared people to sell their stock at prices well below current market value are getting on my nerves.

Wasn't there a discussion somewhere about coveting your neighbors ass? In today's language maybe it should say "thou shalt not covet they neighbors ammo cache"???

Greed is a double edged sword leveled at those whu won't give you something you want. Lets all assume the Lotus position and consider that for a while. Mmmmmmmmm.... Mmmmmmmm....

To your health sir. I hope you have all the ammo you will ever need. I for one do not covet a single bullet anyone else has in their possession. This Lotus position kinda hurts, can I stop now?

Top Bottom