• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Have you considered a .410 shotgun? It's legal for deer in Indiana, has a very mild recoil, and is deadly on the deer. The first long gun I ever fired was a .410 and I was probably about 10 years old at the time.

bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    if you want a lever gun, buy a rossi. they are a good rifle, and are inexpensive. you can have one new for less than 500 bucks. I killed a buck this year with my winchester 1892 in .357 magnum. I made a good clean lung shot, and he ran about 75 yards before laying down. just make sure you give them plenty of time to die before you try to go and get them. if you dont they might jump up and keep going further.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 13, 2013
    South Side Indy
    I started hunting at 10 as well and my first hunting rifle was a single shot savage 410, didn't drop the deer but it didn't run extremely far either. I was able to handle the recoil good. I love the gun now for squirrel hunting, its great for that, might be something to consider.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    My 11 year old has shot an H&R .44 youth model the past 2 years with no issue. The gun is better than he is as a marksman. He can knock down paper but the deer have eluded him so far. I do suggest shooting more frequently than normal to break him into the gun.

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I have looked at both the CVA scout and H&R and the CVA does have better stats but they are impossible to find. You can pick up a H&R about anywhere.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Single shot HR in .44 or .357....44 prob preferred..easy to reload .easy to unload, very simple and uncomplicated..and relatively cheap to shoot ..To me slugs are a thing of the past...and MZs are a PITA but there is a dedicated season for mz so be it.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    A lot of good advice. Maybe too much. Makes it harder to make the choice. The muzzleloader idea was really good, and loading down the .44mag was great, or 44spl. I've been using the 44mag for several years now, and for where I hunt, no other round would be better. I plan to add a 77/44 to my collection before next year. If you look around, you can find them for about $650. But I would lean more towards the single shots for a 10 year old nephew. My brother has the Rossi. H&R have been hit or miss for me. The CVA seemed to be nice quality. If you decide on the Rossi lever action M92 in 44mag, I have one for sale that has never been shot. $450. :):

Allenicomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Carmel Indiana
    The H&R recommendations are on it. Inexpensive, accurate, safe, great little guns for the money. A great starter gun that could become a lifetime/legacy gun for your nephew.

Sidebar: My Dad was never really a hunter. However I had a couple of grandpa's and one particular uncle who instilled fishing and hunting in me. My uncle John was particularly influential in my love for shooting and hunting. I remember how I looked up to him. Like your 10 year old, he took me squirrel and deer hunting. I worshipped the ground he walked on. He died early at age 45 twenty plus years ago but to this day I never enter a woods that I don't think of him and how grateful that I had an uncle to teach me. Kudos to you for what you're doing.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Something else you might consider is a .450 Bushmaster upper for your AR15 lower, since he is already comfortable with that platform. The recoil is about the same as a 20 gauge shotgun, and if you put a LimbSaver recoil pad ( LimbSaver :: Firearms :: Recoil Pads :: Slip-On Recoil Pads :: AR-15 Recoil Pad ) it significantly reduces the felt recoil. I have found mine to be extremely accurate and effective. It might be a bit more than you want to spend but, something to consider never the less.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    On single shot break opens.............TC Contender carbine.

Not cheap but a little more classy than the H&R, and if you can get a deal on a barrel, possibly make it into a combo (but bbl prices have gone a bit whacky lately, still some deals but one has to look harder and longer).

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    So, I've been searching and researching, and still haven't come up with a suitable answer. I'm going to be looking for a deer rifle for my 10 year old (10 next fall) nephew, for deer hunting here in Indiana. I deer hunt with my .458 SOCOM and my .50ML, but I think both are a little much recoil for him. He's an average sized frame kid, and thin.

He has fired one of my 5.56 AR carbines, and is fine with that amount of recoil. My thought is .357 Mag, but I also don't want to spend a ton of money on a Win or Marlin lever action, and I haven't been able to find much about usable range and how well the .357 actually puts down deer. I'm concerned that .44 mag will be a bit much recoil, but I've not shot either the .357 or .44 magnums in rifles to compare.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks,
    Mike

Lever 357. He can use cheaper 38 to practice and plink, and 357 for hunting season.

Top Bottom