Deer Hunting and Trespassers....Suggestions NEEDED.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    Ever since we moved to our house in Pendleton 18 years ago, we've had problems with people coming onto our property to hunt. The guy who own's the property behind ours, has let anyone hunt on his property. There is a lane going from the road into his field and every opening day of shotgun season, that lane is full of vehicles of people hunting out there. The problem, is that his property is all fields except for a small cow pasture and a small patch of woods less than 50 x 50 yards. The edge of his woods has a small part of his field between it and the fenceline between our properties. My property is 80 acres, about half woods and half fields with a fence going all the way around it. Until 4 years ago, anyone was allowed to hunt his property. Now, only one of his brother-in-laws has permission to hunt his property. The guy who owns the property is named Austin and the guy he gave permission to is named Robert. Numerous times, we've caught people on our property and called both the Sheriff's department and the DNR to deal with it. Most of the people claim that they either had permission from Austin or "some doctor" (my father-who never gives out permission to hunt our property) or both, to hunt out there. We currently have, and always had, "NO TRESPASSING" signs on the edges of our property but people don't seem to care or claim they didn't see it. Since most of the people we've caught on our property have been in the last 6 years or so, Austin finally gave his brother-in-law, Robert, sole permission to hunt his property.
    Robert came to my mom's house 4 years ago and told me that he was the only one who would be hunting out there from now on and that we need to get the trust back between our families. He asked me for my cell phone number and he gave me his cell number as well as his work and house numbers, then he told me that he would call me to get permission if he shot a deer that ran onto my property and that he expected me to do the same. Then he said that he would like to give me some money just to show that he trusted me and that he's trying to improve the relationship between our families. I declined the money.
    Since he became the only one with permission to be on Austin's land, I've had numerous problems near our property lines. Two years ago, my friend and I were headed out to hunt a stand I have set up 20 yards from the fenceline between our properties, as we approached, we noticed a gut pile at the base of my stand with a blood trail going back to the fence. The trail continued into the field on his side and the barbed wire on the top of the fence had been cut and the fence was pushed down to make it easier to cross. When I tried to call him about it, all the numbers I had for him, including his work and house numbers, were either disconnected or belonged to someone who had never heard of him. He only has two stands and one ground blind he hunts. Both stands are set up at the edge of his woods facing mine, and the ground blind he uses is usually set up less than 20 feet from the fenceline in the middle of his field facing my property. I realise no laws are being broken since he is remaining on his side but it's obvious he is "hunting" my property. This year, he has a stand set up on the fence row. The ladder of his stand is on his side but the tree it's in is not even touching the fence on my side of the property. The DNR said that I need to check where the property line actually is before any action can be taken, but I have aerial photos (in color) showing, with a yellow line, where the property line is going all the way around my property. Every August I put up new NO TRESPASSING signs and by December or January, they are shot, or look as if someone has tried to rip them off the tree or cut the up. Every opening day of shotgun season, it sounds like a shooting gallery on our property line and he takes 4 shots minimum, usually more. He has never called saying he's had one run onto my property but after finding that gut pile, I'm sure he just goes over when ever he feels like it. Robert called me Monday afternoon to tell me he just missed a nice 10 pointer and that he would like to meet this week for lunch or to get a beer or something. So I don't know if I should meet with him or not and if so, do I bring up my problems with his stand being on the fence row and the other BS that's been going on since he's had sole permission to hunt Austin's property or not? Also, do I have the DNR sit on the property line with me opening day or should I inform them they should be ready to come out opening day? Should I not even bother with the DNR and just call the Sheriff's department? Or should I try to catch him out there using trail cameras or what? Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Catch them with trail cams....Then you have solid evidence for your arguement!!!!!

Cbarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Earth
    Being that your post is the only thing I know about "Robert", I'll try to not accuse him of anything.

Sounds strange to offer money in exchange for trust. :dunno: I would have been suspicious of that.

Yes, I would meet with him and bring it up. You'll have more of a chance learning the truth or catching him lying if you stay in contact with him. (Keep your friends close - and your enemies closer)

Or, you could do something crazy like - Decide to make that location the family camp ground, Fell a certain tree for firewood, put out some deer repellant in that spot. :D

jrich2125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Atlanta, IN
    Eric,
    Sorry for your problems. I think the quickest and easiest way to get some type of action would be to talk to him over a beer and let him know you have had some problems.
    About that aerial photo, don't take to much faith in its location. If you got it from the county it could be off as much as 5'-10'. The only way to get the property line location would be a surveyor. Yes it is costly, but if you continue to have problems it would be well worth it. Then you could set up trail camera's etc..

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I have very few uninvited hunters that I'm aware of but I'm sandwiched between 2 larger hunted properties. Both owners of the other properties have their stands very close to the property lines (mine). It hasn't been a problem so far but I usually stay clear of my backwoods during gun season. They did ask permission to retrieve shot deer from my property and I either being nice or naive gave permission. Their complaint was that the neighbor behind us (about 400 acres) told them if on his property, he'd shoot them. They stay clear of his property or at least claim to.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Ever since we moved to our house in Pendleton 18 years ago, we've had problems with people coming onto our property to hunt. The guy who own's the property behind ours, has let anyone hunt on his property. There is a lane going from the road into his field and every opening day of shotgun season, that lane is full of vehicles of people hunting out there. The problem, is that his property is all fields except for a small cow pasture and a small patch of woods less than 50 x 50 yards. The edge of his woods has a small part of his field between it and the fenceline between our properties. My property is 80 acres, about half woods and half fields with a fence going all the way around it. Until 4 years ago, anyone was allowed to hunt his property. Now, only one of his brother-in-laws has permission to hunt his property. The guy who owns the property is named Austin and the guy he gave permission to is named Robert. Numerous times, we've caught people on our property and called both the Sheriff's department and the DNR to deal with it. Most of the people claim that they either had permission from Austin or "some doctor" (my father-who never gives out permission to hunt our property) or both, to hunt out there. We currently have, and always had, "NO TRESPASSING" signs on the edges of our property but people don't seem to care or claim they didn't see it. Since most of the people we've caught on our property have been in the last 6 years or so, Austin finally gave his brother-in-law, Robert, sole permission to hunt his property.
    Robert came to my mom's house 4 years ago and told me that he was the only one who would be hunting out there from now on and that we need to get the trust back between our families. He asked me for my cell phone number and he gave me his cell number as well as his work and house numbers, then he told me that he would call me to get permission if he shot a deer that ran onto my property and that he expected me to do the same. Then he said that he would like to give me some money just to show that he trusted me and that he's trying to improve the relationship between our families. I declined the money.
    Since he became the only one with permission to be on Austin's land, I've had numerous problems near our property lines. Two years ago, my friend and I were headed out to hunt a stand I have set up 20 yards from the fenceline between our properties, as we approached, we noticed a gut pile at the base of my stand with a blood trail going back to the fence. The trail continued into the field on his side and the barbed wire on the top of the fence had been cut and the fence was pushed down to make it easier to cross. When I tried to call him about it, all the numbers I had for him, including his work and house numbers, were either disconnected or belonged to someone who had never heard of him. He only has two stands and one ground blind he hunts. Both stands are set up at the edge of his woods facing mine, and the ground blind he uses is usually set up less than 20 feet from the fenceline in the middle of his field facing my property. I realise no laws are being broken since he is remaining on his side but it's obvious he is "hunting" my property. This year, he has a stand set up on the fence row. The ladder of his stand is on his side but the tree it's in is not even touching the fence on my side of the property. The DNR said that I need to check where the property line actually is before any action can be taken, but I have aerial photos (in color) showing, with a yellow line, where the property line is going all the way around my property. Every August I put up new NO TRESPASSING signs and by December or January, they are shot, or look as if someone has tried to rip them off the tree or cut the up. Every opening day of shotgun season, it sounds like a shooting gallery on our property line and he takes 4 shots minimum, usually more. He has never called saying he's had one run onto my property but after finding that gut pile, I'm sure he just goes over when ever he feels like it. Robert called me Monday afternoon to tell me he just missed a nice 10 pointer and that he would like to meet this week for lunch or to get a beer or something. So I don't know if I should meet with him or not and if so, do I bring up my problems with his stand being on the fence row and the other BS that's been going on since he's had sole permission to hunt Austin's property or not? Also, do I have the DNR sit on the property line with me opening day or should I inform them they should be ready to come out opening day? Should I not even bother with the DNR and just call the Sheriff's department? Or should I try to catch him out there using trail cameras or what? Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Man I've seen and heard all that a hundred times and there's only one scenario I've ever seen that solves this problem. I'll give it to ya in quotes one single time. There's no if's, and's, or but's about a single bit of it. It's either all or nothing.

"First thing you talk. It's not a big talk and no need for beer or other niceties, "The fence is on the property line. You stay on your side, I'll stay on mine. No phone calls needed. If I make any phone calls concerning the fence or property line it will be to the police." Then when the police, sherrif, or game warden show up you prosecute no matter who they are or what their line of bull is. In all of that post of yours and complaining about all those tresspassers, I don't read one single word about a single prosecution. That's your biggest problem, they've called you bluff and found you wanting. You'll be lucky to even get law enforcement out there if you've been calling them and then not prosecuting when they catch some one."

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I have very few uninvited hunters that I'm aware of but I'm sandwiched between 2 larger hunted properties. Both owners of the other properties have their stands very close to the property lines (mine). It hasn't been a problem so far but I usually stay clear of my backwoods during gun season. They did ask permission to retrieve shot deer from my property and I either being nice or naive gave permission. Their complaint was that the neighbor behind us (about 400 acres) told them if on his property, he'd shoot them. They stay clear of his property or at least claim to.

See how simple it is to fix? If you can't chase a deer on to the neighbor's property then suddenly people are not so anxious to hunt right on the property line.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've seen that "but so and so said it was OK" a few times. Jack has the right idea, sort it out so it's understood then prosecute if it happens again.

I've taken to patrolling my borders before gun season, if I find stands I cut them off the tree, follow the trail to the property line and dump them over the fence. I won't take another mans stand even if I find it on my land but they have to buy new straps.

When I have found people wandering around I have politely but firmly told them they must leave.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    The violator MUST be issued a TRESPASS WARNING, before, prosecution can take place. After the warning has been issued by law enforcement, if they return, THEN they are guilty of trespass. You are also REQUIRED by law to be able to see the signs, one from the other, around your entire property or you cannot even begin with the warning, because the property was not properly marked. :twocents: I know its kaka, but, criminals gots rights too.:xmad: :patriot: Don

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The violator MUST be issued a TRESPASS WARNING, before, prosecution can take place. After the warning has been issued by law enforcement, if they return, THEN they are guilty of trespass. You are also REQUIRED by law to be able to see the signs, one from the other, around your entire property or you cannot even begin with the warning, because the property was not properly marked. :twocents: I know its kaka, but, criminals gots rights too.:xmad: :patriot: Don

No you do not have to give a tresspassing hunter a warning or ask them to leave prior to prosecution. It's hunting with out permission, a seperate offense they give tickets for it all the time. You don't have to hunt down every person on the planet and tell them they specificly are not allowed specificly on your land. You are responsible for knowing where you are and you are responsible for gaining permission. If you do not have permission to be where you are, then you are tresspassing. If you are tresspassing and hunting, you are hunting with out permission and liable for prosecution.

Any one who has a real problem with this in the real world needs to talk to the REAL WORLD law who will be coming after the criminals if they survive and ask them instead of random yahoos on the internet. I sure as heck won't be the prosecutor and no one in a court room is going to care in the least what you read on INGO.com.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    That's your biggest problem, they've called you bluff and found you wanting.
    Jack's pretty much right on here---Putting the stand in your tree on the fenceline tells me he's testing you. What do you think he'll do if a buck walks by in range on your side of the fence when he's in that stand?
    Jack's also right about the hunting w/o permission. Talk first--put the guy on notice--then get a meet with the local CO and ask him what kind of evidence he would need from you ---your word, pic etc.---to write a ticket. That way if the guy doesn't back off you will know what to do.

Steve

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    U may have to forego opening day on your stand to greet all the hunters who do not get the message one final time, be there early and make it clear this land is off limits, remember have a friend or 2 for safety and get the C.Os cell number ready for that morning or the local sherrif and let them know to expect a call! After the un invited pull up on opening morning only to be turned away they have to find a new place to hunt (that day) tell em "GOOD LUCK"

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    It's the Law: Hunters must know the laws
    -- Hunting without consent. To arrest someone on the charge of hunting without consent, conservation officers simply need to find someone who can't prove he or she has permission to hunt on the land. The property owner does not need to post "no trespassing signs," and a previous warning from the property owner isn't necessary.

The Indiana Law Blog: Ind. Law - It's the Law: "Hunters must know the laws"

http://www.bowhunter.com/conservation/BW_violators_1009/index.html
    http://www.bowhunter.com/conservation/BW_violators_1009/index.html

I'd say both phrases, "ordinary intelligence" and "violators look for loop holes" both say a lot.

Violators DO LOOK FOR LOOP HOLES and make excuses and demand try to hog tie the land owner and law abiding.

Hunters just READ THE RULES, UNDERSTAND THE RULES, FOLLOW THE RULES, violators and spoiled brats cry about the rules as for rule interpretations and try to change the rules to no end every frigging year whiners and violators cry around about the rules.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    One of our DNR Leo's states that a single, easily read, highly visible NO TRESPASSING sign posted at the main entrance to the property is the only notice that a landowner has to post. When posted in this manner, it legally covers the entire property. Any other signs have no more punch than the one at the "front door", and don't call him if you are not willing to prosecute the offender. He is just too busy at this time of the year to spend time just running people off. It is up to the offender to know where the property lines are, and not the landowner to spend time, money, and effort to inform the general public the location of property lines! And yes, the first offense is punishable, call your local district office if you're a not-believer.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Take up trapping. Fence rows make good trap setups.

There are signs available as well - "Caution: Unexploded Ordnance," "Caution: Live Fire," etc.

Josh <><

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I stand corrected. I posted what was told to me by a CO a couple of years ago. It may well be I was feed B/S. I've had three stands stolen and found a guy 20 yds from were one of the stands was stolen.

I agree... we should know the laws both to keep us legal, as well as to close up any loop holes to be used by offenders.

Thanks for the GOOD advice from you guys here on INGO. Good luck Saturday, be safe. :patriot: Don

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    If I was hunting in Kentucky or even Alaska I would damn sure know where Jacks property line was. I got this feeling that Jack is not somebody you want to meet "lost" in his woods.:D

I only got a couple of acres so I don't have a problem, wish I had your all problems. I do belive it is the hunters responsibility to know where the line is.

I do have one question. What does a property owner have to gain (other than deer meat) by preventing someone from recovering a deer that was not shot on their property? Just wondering.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I would contact the actual owner of the property and discuss the problems that you have been having and ask him to do something before this really gets out of hand. i would also suggest that the both of you get together to hire a survey company to mark the property line between you.
    Good luck with this and I hope it's resolved without the need of the court system and lawyers.

Top Bottom