• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I started my deer hunting career over 28 years ago, the older gentlemen in my neighborhood did deer drives come November, often taking us young bucks to drive the hills and hollers of south/southwest Indiana, we took many many deer, all were used for food, non wasted! A few friends and I as we got to driving age and such ventured off and started to hunt solo and tree stand hunt, I hunt both ways now but have fewer drive partners nowadays! Your story?

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Deer drives are a part of my early hunting memories too. Dad and his buddies had a deer camp in the Pocono Mountains. We worked hard up and down those mountains in the thick laurel, but it did put bucks on the meat pole now and then. If you went home without a buck at the end of the week, you had your shirt tail cut off and put in the cigar box. Hunting farmland now, we seldom do a real deer drive.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    At one time years back, didn't they prohibit deer drives? It's not in the new reg's,but I do remember this in there some time ago.
    I may be wrong, but I believe there use to be some regulations in the rule books wording to the effect of "party hunting is illegal" I also believe this did not mean "deer drives" were illegal, it meant those that did deer drives could not tag each others deer, example: hunter #1 shoots a small rack buck and hunter #10 tags it for him (because hunter #1 wants to save his buck tag for a bigger deer and hunter #10 is glad to take the meat) in this case hunter #1 better have a legal tag and use it! At least that is the way we understood it, our group always had many depredation tags from a farmer any way so all went well.

Top Bottom