• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I got a deer this weekend. Skinned it out and just below the head on the neck meat there was something that looked like a cyst. It was kinda brown in color and about 1" in diameter. I havn't run across this before and was wondering if it was anything to be concerned about. The area around it was fine and the rest of the deer was fine. I didn't cut any meat around it and just saved meat about 6-7" above it.:dunno:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've not seen it before, but, if the rest of the meat looked o.k. and the abdominal cavity looks normal, I'd think it would be alright.

How did it act, before you turned it's lights out for good? If it did not seem disoriented or confused, you should be good.

You may want to freeze that part of the neck and call the DNR. Ask them if they'd like to see it.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good thinking

I've not seen it before, but, if the rest of the meat looked o.k. and the abdominal cavity looks normal, I'd think it would be alright.

How did it act, before you turned it's lights out for good? If it did not seem disoriented or confused, you should be good.

You may want to freeze that part of the neck and call the DNR. Ask them if they'd like to see it.[/quote]

Agreed. Especially the underlined.

Terry

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Correct

You may want to freeze that part of the neck and call the DNR. Ask them if they'd like to see it.[/quote]

Agreed. Especially the underlined.

Terry

Redskinfan is correct. Animals, like humans, have cysts, tumors, scar tissue and all sorts of irregularities. Animals that are behaving strangely might be diseased, but if it was behaving normally it is likely that you are looking at a cyst, tumor, old injury or similar anomaly. Use common sense. Does the meat look or smell bad?

My apology to anybody who works in a packing house, but this is one of the reasons I like to process my own meats. If it doesn't look right, I cut it out and throw it away. That is why I think my venison and homemade sausage often taste better; because of the time put into making sure that all of the meat is something that I want to put inside my body. I don't think that strangers put the same consideration into processing.

Cut it out, throw it away and if the rest looks and smells like it should then eat away.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've seen those before and just cut around them. My deer processing rule has always been if it looks odd, toss it out.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Thanks guys, the deer acted fine before and after it was shot. He trotted up by me and I got him to stop. He went about 20 yards and dropped. The meat smelled and looked ok. I will be grinding him up today.

Top Bottom