• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So I got a aluminum fishing boat and a bow mount trolling motor, powered by a new Interstate 27 group battery Model #SRM-27. Now im trying to figure out which charger to go with. On interstates website it says to use no more than a 20amp charger.
    Question 1- would a minn kota digital on board 10 amp charger model# MK110d be a decent choice for charger??

Question 2- For the battery and keeping it filled with water, is it as simple as popping the 2 caps on the top and pouring in some distiled water to the top? or is there more to it that i have not read about yet..

thanks for any advice you may have, im a new boat owner and dont know to much about the more techinacle side of maintaining it correctly so things last.

wlkjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    I have a Profill system on my deep cells. Don't have to take the tops off and it won't overfill.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So I got a aluminum fishing boat and a bow mount trolling motor, powered by a new Interstate 27 group battery Model #SRM-27. Now im trying to figure out which charger to go with. On interstates website it says to use no more than a 20amp charger.
    Question 1- would a minn kota digital on board 10 amp charger model# MK110d be a decent choice for charger??

Question 2- For the battery and keeping it filled with water, is it as simple as popping the 2 caps on the top and pouring in some distiled water to the top? or is there more to it that i have not read about yet..

thanks for any advice you may have, im a new boat owner and dont know to much about the more techinacle side of maintaining it correctly so things last.

No there is not much more to it than that. I suggest that you be extra careful when filling the battery with water as just a little splash back on your clothes and they will be eaten like a mob of moths descended on it. The 10 amp charger should be good, it is better to charge it slower than faster and I have a little charger that will do 2, 6, or 10 amps. I usually set it on 2 amps and all goes well.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I have a $5.00 Battery Tender from Harbor Freight, in fact several. I use them year round on Boat batteries, Motorcycle, Lawn tractor Etc. Never any problems and the original motorcycle battery lasted 7 1/2 years using this Tender.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Use a bulb for basting turkeys or bulb for clearing babys noses. Much easier/safer then using a funnel. I don't buy distilled water. I catch the condensate water from my AC.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    1. Heat kills. Watch storage temps and operating temps (don't send a small battery to do the job of a big one).
    2. Don't ever leave it set in a "dead state".
    3. Keep it on a charger that is designed specifically for lead acid, and that will keep it in a "float" state when in storage.
    4. Don't "fill" the battery with water when discharged... just enough to cover the plates, keep an eye on the level, then when charged, fill to the correct level.
    5. Unless you need a fast charge you don't even need a 10A charger. Charging slowly allows the electrolyte to mix and get a true full charge. The charge voltage can vary depending on the type of charger... a slightly lower voltage can extend life, and a slightly higher voltage can reduce sulfation. Also it's a good idea to reduce float voltage (can depend on the charger) to reduce float/storage charge voltage when he ambient temp is high (85+).
    6. Don't allow the battery to freeze, dead batteries freeze much easier than charged batteries. NEVER charge a frozen battery.

scattergunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Higher amperage is faster charge rate, and higher heat. The cheap floating trickle charges will charge a bettery if given enough time. So a 10amp charger is really plenty. Store you battery where it won't freeze.

Alpine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2013
    NWC
    NAPA sells a real nice little trickle (float) charger with a nice quick disconnect cable. Just wire it to the battery, and never have to worry about hooking up or disconnecting jumper cables or temporary wiring.

Top Bottom