• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Apples and oranges. I'll continue to complain about the price of .22lr until it comes back down to normal prices (almost there when you can find it) because that extra money adds to the cost of every shot. The more I shoot, the more it costs. But, spending an extra hundred dollars to buy a gun locally is a one time issue. Every shot I take with that gun reduces that initial $100. Plus, I figure the service I get at an LGS pays for at least some of that. For instance, yesterday I took my Remington R1S down to the shop I bought it off of to borrow their trigger gauge to see where I'm at after a bit of trigger work (perfect 3 1/2 lbs now). Not only were they more than happy to take care of that for me, but they had a sample bottle of Slip2000 EGW they gave me as well. This 1911 was bought there and was actually a much better deal there than I ever saw online or at other local shops. Stuff like that is why when I decide to buy something, I stop there first. If they can do a decent price, I'll buy from them. I know what I'm willing to spend and I know they will do their best to get to that price but they also have a shop to run, employees to pay and the cost of inventory to cover. I figure that if I'm willing to spend $40 plus for me and my sons to go fondle guns at the 1500, then I cannot complain too much about spending that extra $40 or so at the LGS that lets me fondle their guns all year long for free. The guys at The Outdoorsman have earned that much at least.
    Sounds like they treat you good. They must have lowered their prices since I was there last about 2 years ago. Way overpriced guns

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I prefer to buy locally and will pay over what I would otherwise pay online to do so if the difference is under $100. The only firearms I've bought online were a trio of pre-B CZ 75s that you simply could not get locally. I do admit though, that there are times when you see the price at Bud's Gun Shop, with free shipping and a $15 transfer fee, and cannot help but to consider an online buy, but in the end, I buy locally. There are 4 guns shops I deal with, 1 regularly and the others sporadically. The one I deal with regularly takes care of me and is reasonable in price. The other shops are good, but the one has earned a bit of loyalty and is generally the first stop I go to.

:rolleyes:......must not have ta work as hard fer a hunnerd bux as I do..........:):

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sounds like they treat you good. They must have lowered their prices since I was there last about 2 years ago. Way overpriced guns

Like most gun stores, it never hurts to dicker and they have done well in that area.

:rolleyes:......must not have ta work as hard fer a hunnerd bux as I do..........:):

I wish that were the case. On the odd chance I can afford to buy a new gun, I just find shopping locally to be in my best interest as well as the LGS's. While I've said I'd buy locally if within $100, I cannot remember ever having the spread that large. It's usually closer to half that.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    It's good business to allow transfers. You fill out some paperwork, collect some cash and you brought a potential customer into your store. It's a win all the way around. Store owners are kidding themselves if they think that by not offering to do transfers, their business will grow.

+1, transfers get a customer in the door eyeing your other stock and gaining experience with you.

But this can cut both ways.

My first ever transfer was through a certain shop in Brownsburg. I called them and was clear that this was my first transfer, and asked how to do it. The person on the other end of the line was very clear, through multiple confirmations, that I needed to do nothing with them prior to having the gun shipped to them. All communication and paperwork would happen after.

So of course the guy higher up gets upset when a pistol shows up unannounced. I explain the situation to him and that I had followed the directions of his employee to the letter, at which point I was personally insulted and told to "shut my mouth or we'll just ship it back".

So I shut my mouth, completed the transfer, and have since bought 10+ guns and a few transfers through Bradis instead of the closer shop in Brownsburg. All because of poor CS over a $35 transfer. There is a reason one shop has expanded and the other will forever remain a back alley shack.

My time and convenience is worth something to me. Bradis may not always be the absolute cheapest option, but they are professional and treat me well and are close enough in price to keep me defaulting to them. I don't need drama over a dang transfer.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    From the blog post, "While most guns stores will do this as a courtesy, they are not required to. This is a courtesy! Online purchasing can be great for finding hard to find items or better pricing. What the internet lacks is the ability to transfer firearms directly to a customer..."

This is where I don't see eye to eye with Randy. Sure it's not required to do transfers but it would be straight ignorant for a gun shop not to do transfers. Transfers are a means for pure profit cash flow! A shop has bills and payroll to pay. They are in business to make money! Sure they have to retain the paperwork for 20 years and log firearms in and out but they have to do it for any other firearm they sell as well. A "courtesy?" Please, it's a part of doing business. Sure it's the LGS's choice to do them or not but if they want to stay in business they better do them. Charge as much as you want the free market will correct itself.

It brings customer's thru the door's. Hell those same customers more than likely will come back and buy guns and do more transfers from the LGS's if they are treated correctly.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I used to use CNI in Crown Point, but they're closed. I called up Blythe's in Griffith and asked them about a transfer. They told me "They start at $35." I asked what "start" mean and was told that they charge a percentage of the sale price of the gun because they have to "insure them" when they come in the door until the customer picks it up. Now I'm not a moron and I know how business insurance works. They have a blanket policy, and the addition or subtraction of a few guns in on transfer doesn't make one bit of difference. If it was a machine gun worth 10's of thousands of dollars, I could see that a bit more, but for an average handgun? Bull Crap! I wish the jerk would have just been honest and told me that they want me to buy from them, so they charge a percentage of the gun price on a transfer to discourage buying outside. Fine. Still wouldn't use them, but appreciate the honesty.

They're a decent shop otherwise, though the Valpo store has a better selection. It's just too far for me to go, and I mostly do my shopping online. Midwest Gun in Mishawaka is an awesome store with everything, but they're too far away.

Those are the one's I've been to. For an area with such a dense population, there's not much in the way of LGS's. Now, I go to Matt from Front Toward Enemy for my transfers. He takes my money, doesn't give me any lip about where the guns come from, or how you can't trust the internet, or it's illegal to accept guns from a non-licensee, etc... and is the nicest gun dealer I've EVER dealt with.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    I used to use CNI in Crown Point, but they're closed. I called up Blythe's in Griffith and asked them about a transfer. They told me "They start at $35." I asked what "start" mean and was told that they charge a percentage of the sale price of the gun because they have to "insure them" when they come in the door until the customer picks it up. Now I'm not a moron and I know how business insurance works. They have a blanket policy, and the addition or subtraction of a few guns in on transfer doesn't make one bit of difference. If it was a machine gun worth 10's of thousands of dollars, I could see that a bit more, but for an average handgun? Bull Crap! I wish the jerk would have just been honest and told me that they want me to buy from them, so they charge a percentage of the gun price on a transfer to discourage buying outside. Fine. Still wouldn't use them, but appreciate the honesty.

They're a decent shop otherwise, though the Valpo store has a better selection. It's just too far for me to go, and I mostly do my shopping online. Midwest Gun in Mishawaka is an awesome store with everything, but they're too far away.

Those are the one's I've been to. For an area with such a dense population, there's not much in the way of LGS's. Now, I go to Matt from Front Toward Enemy for my transfers. He takes my money, doesn't give me any lip about where the guns come from, or how you can't trust the internet, or it's illegal to accept guns from a non-licensee, etc... and is the nicest gun dealer I've EVER dealt with.

I go to Blythes in Valpo to use the range. Always browse the guns while I am there. Their prices are higher than Gander Mountain which everyone seems to complain about. The best deals I seem to be able to find locally are at Cabelas most of the time. I know they are not a LGS but they seem to have the best prices, they are close and I have never had a problem getting them to help me.

I have also got a couple firearms at Dick's for some crazy good deals, like the Rossi 92 I just paid $365 including tax. Blthyes wants $529 plus tax for same gun.

I have done a lot of different hobbies and always try to support the local guy, but they just make it to hard sometimes.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This is something some people don't think about. They look at the sale price and think, hey this thing is $50 less than my local shop is. Add $25 for FFL fee and $15 for shipping and your getting very close to buying local.

That being said, I buy most firearms at a brick and mortar store(actually all but one so far), but I buy most everything else online. This is mostly due to being able to sit down and order exactly what I want(which LGS's don't have) and get it as fast or faster than the LGS can get it. And for less money.

I do wish the LGS would thrive and survive but often times they are run by passionate gun owners with little business acumen. For example, years ago I bought a bike and for one year got a discount on any bike accessories in the store plus a free tune-up.

How much more revenue could the LGS generate if they offered that to each person who bought a gun from them?

Interesting read and a LGS with nice, friendly customer service oriented people can still compete with the big boxes. But the key is to have some interest in everyone who walks through the doors and not be a "good ole boy" network. And they don't have to stock the largest firearm inventory in town. Just order it for me at a competitive price and have it in my hands when promised. And...if you offer me an incentive to come back you will get the incremental sales which I believe are at higher margins for the LGS to boot!

The good ole boy network is alive and well. Go to Elmores on any given day and there's always random people just hanging around behind the counters bs'ing. What's it take to rate behind the counter status? You see the same thing at PSS with the old guys sitting in chairs or blocking the counters. I worked in a big gun store for many years and know the type, the thing is these "regulars" that come in and hang out forever are never buyers but for some reason the owners bs with them at the expense of people coming in to buy.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have also got a couple firearms at Dick's for some crazy good deals, like the Rossi 92 I just paid $365 including tax. Blthyes wants $529 plus tax for same gun.

But chains can afford to do sales at under cost, I'm pretty sure $365 is under cost for that gun. I'll have to check tomorrow, and any LGS can chime in, but I think that is under cost for that gun. Not even Buds has them anywhere close to that price.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Like most gun stores, it never hurts to dicker and they have done well in that area.

I wish that were the case. On the odd chance I can afford to buy a new gun, I just find shopping locally to be in my best interest as well as the LGS's. While I've said I'd buy locally if within $100, I cannot remember ever having the spread that large. It's usually closer to half that.

Well, kind'a use same mental'ty......50 over's kind'a my benchmark.....when ya add the fees from LGS ta LGS,it's a wash......:dunno:

But when I see 'XXX' gun for 499-539.......and a LGS got same in the glass for......629.......659 (or more...:rolleyes:)......it's a no-brainer......they may sell the thing ta SUMbody....but 'at sumbody ain't gonna be me......

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The good ole boy network is alive and well. Go to Elmores on any given day and there's always random people just hanging around behind the counters bs'ing. What's it take to rate behind the counter status? You see the same thing at PSS with the old guys sitting in chairs or blocking the counters. I worked in a big gun store for many years and know the type, the thing is these "regulars" that come in and hang out forever are never buyers but for some reason the owners bs with them at the expense of people coming in to buy.
    This has been my experience with Elmore's too. They've acted like I was an inconvenience to them rather than a potential customer. Now I will say that the last time or two that I've been in there (don't go there often) it has been a little better, so maybe they've heard the rumblings of discontent somewhere and are trying to improve. My early experiences with them though, has left a bad taste in my mouth that I can't seem to shake.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, kind'a use same mental'ty......50 over's kind'a my benchmark.....when ya add the fees from LGS ta LGS,it's a wash......:dunno:

But when I see 'XXX' gun for 499-539.......and a LGS got same in the glass for......629.......659 (or more...:rolleyes:)......it's a no-brainer......they may sell the thing ta SUMbody....but 'at sumbody ain't gonna be me......

Yep, but then again, that's pretty much my attitude wherever I buy, be it a LGS, gun show or online, especially since because of my tastes I rarely buy new. I do my research in advance and have a pretty good idea of what a fair price is for a given firearm. All of these (LGS, gun shows, private sales, online) are potential sources for purchases. I don't exclusively rule one or more out just out of principle. I've gotten better deals at one over the other ones multiple times. That's what I look for.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Yep, but then again, that's pretty much my attitude wherever I buy, be it a LGS, gun show or online, especially since because of my tastes I rarely buy new. I do my research in advance and have a pretty good idea of what a fair price is for a given firearm. All of these (LGS, gun shows, private sales, online) are potential sources for purchases. I don't exclusively rule one or more out just out of principle. I've gotten better deals at one over the other ones multiple times. That's what I look for.

:yesway:......YUP......do the same .....an' far's gun-shows.......:):......gawdaayyyuum.......:):........they high'rn ANYwhere......so high, it laughable,LOL..:):

Last GS I went to was....?.....NewAlbany....dude had'a 1911(sevral,actually...) , look'd like it been drag'd down Grant Line Rd behind a truck fer 5 mls.......1599.00....LMAO!....:):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :yesway:......YUP......do the same .....an' far's gun-shows.......:):......gawdaayyyuum.......:):........they high'rn ANYwhere......so high, it laughable,LOL..:):

Last GS I went to was....?.....NewAlbany....dude had'a 1911(sevral,actually...) , look'd like it been drag'd down Grant Line Rd behind a truck fer 5 mls.......1599.00....LMAO!....:):
    Yeah, I've seen the same thing, but I've also gotten some great deals at shows. My main interest is in old milsurp guns, and some sellers see those as "just some old gun I got in a trade". One man's trash is another man's treasure as the saying goes! :):

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

Yep! Gun shows are high. I always enjoy deciphering your posts. I feel like I'm learning a new language. Hillbilly Ebonics?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    From my experience, the gun stores I've been to never have what I want, are much higher on everything and they're often not very honest. We don't have good gun stores up in NWI.

Frankly it's selection and price. I like my local LGS, but the two times I bought directly from them I paid $50 to $70 more than online, including transfer and NOT taxes. Too pricey.

I do take my used guns in on consignment, so they still make money off me.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    But chains can afford to do sales at under cost, I'm pretty sure $365 is under cost for that gun. I'll have to check tomorrow, and any LGS can chime in, but I think that is under cost for that gun. Not even Buds has them anywhere close to that price.

Ok so no offense to Blythes, because I do like the shop and all the employees are always good, but at that price how do I not buy it at the chains?
    I am in no way bad mouthing Blythes they have always treated me good, and sadclown is a great guy, just can't get past the prices.

I do use the range and I buy targets and ammo there. I really try to spread some of my money there but like I said sometimes it is just too hard.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Ok so no offense to Blythes, because I do like the shop and all the employees are always good, but at that price how do I not buy it at the chains?
    I am in no way bad mouthing Blythes they have always treated me good, and sadclown is a great guy, just can't get past the prices.

I do use the range and I buy targets and ammo there. I really try to spread some of my money there but like I said sometimes it is just too hard.

I don't blame you at all, at that price, I should have sent someone over there to buy everyone they had for Blythe's stock.

backlashjack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Demotte
    From the blog post, "While most guns stores will do this as a courtesy, they are not required to. This is a courtesy! Online purchasing can be great for finding hard to find items or better pricing. What the internet lacks is the ability to transfer firearms directly to a customer..."

This is where I don't see eye to eye with Randy. Sure it's not required to do transfers but it would be straight ignorant for a gun shop not to do transfers. Transfers are a means for pure profit cash flow! A shop has bills and payroll to pay. They are in business to make money! Sure they have to retain the paperwork for 20 years and log firearms in and out but they have to do it for any other firearm they sell as well. A "courtesy?" Please, it's a part of doing business. Sure it's the LGS's choice to do them or not but if they want to stay in business they better do them. Charge as much as you want the free market will correct itself.

It brings customer's thru the door's. Hell those same customers more than likely will come back and buy guns and do more transfers from the LGS's if they are treated correctly.

The problem with you disagreeing is that you do not realize what goes into firearms transfers. It its time that goes into logging a gun in and logging one out and the time for paperwork in between. Plus the dealings with ATF if everything wasnt triple checked to make sure everything is perfect so you do not lose your license. This is the most regulated industry in the US and the ATF can make mistakes but God help the gun store that does. You really do not have a clue what is involved. Transfers ARE a courtesy!

Top Bottom