• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Also known as the Turkish bombard.

Just watched a program detailing this mind-boggling weapon.
    15th century invention, cast from bronze in two pieces that screwed together.

This massive cannon hurled a 1500lb stone ball a mile towards its target, a castle under seige.
    The end result of a 1500lb projectile slamming into a stone wall was devastating.

1500lb equals 10,500,000 grains.
    How much powder would you need to launch that puppy a mile away?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    339   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    So if you upscale a 9mm 115gn at 4.8gns of Titegroup, that means it would take 438260.38gns, or 62.6 lbs of powder. That's just titegroup. Be something on the scale of 85-90lbs of CFE Pistol.

Blackpowder conversions would be drastically different.

Legal disclaimer, I am not a professional physicist. Do not take my advice. This is probably not how it works.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    So if you upscale a 9mm 115gn at 4.8gns of Titegroup, that means it would take 438260.38gns, or 62.6 lbs of powder. That's just titegroup. Be something on the scale of 85-90lbs of CFE Pistol.

Legal disclaimer, I am not a professional physicist. Do not take my advice. This is probably not how it works.
    I just called 1-900-INDIANHEAD
    The custodian told me it was 44.9 lbs of Otto Powder. It was $4.99 a min.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

I could be wrong, but if you took pistol powder and packed it in a cannon.. well it would be a massive pipe bomb

Cannon powder grain size is larger, as the gun size goes up... the grain size does too.
    By the time you get to 16 inch Naval guns.. the grains themselves are the size of COKE CANS.

1715571295110.png

Now I don't know the loading for black powder cannons. But the loading for the 16/50 Iowa guns are well known
    Six bags of powder with the grains the size of coke cans.
    2,500 ft/s firing a 2,700 lb shell.
    1715571899465.jpeg

I am fairly sure the black powder for those old cannons are fairly large grain too.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    "During the 15th century the range of powder weight was very large, much larger than at later dates. Early short barreled bombards like Pumhart von Steyr could fire low velocity projectiles close to 700 kg's using a powder charge of 15 kilograms of powder or around 2.2% of the projectile weight."

One source says it fired the stone ball a mile.

There was a recent article in Muzzle Blasts magazine the NMLRA sends out about the history of black powder. Canon powder varied greatly from each source, so more of one type and less of another. Probably whatever was at hand. "Corning", compressing the powder into solid pucks and then granulating it to consistent size did not come into play until 1429 according to some articles. So the canon mentioned might have had better propellant.

Surprisingly the formula for charcoal/salt Peter/sulfur in the earliest writings is about the same as produced now. There are even writings that tell how to purify the ingredients. The old manufactures of powder understood what they were doing.

Don

Last edited:
    Top Bottom