• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    For any one who is interested, I emailed Esee asking if the Damascus Izula carries the same warranty as the regular Izula and here is my response (this is what I assumed anyways):

Cyprant,

No. The Damascus materials is a laminated steel that is not consistent enough to be predictable like the steels we use in our other knives. It is a collectible piece and the striking appearance of the Damascus is why people buy it and not to be a hard use tool for life.

Mike

Co-Owner, ESEE Knives and Randall's Adventure

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    For any one who is interested, I emailed Esee asking if the Damascus Izula carries the same warranty as the regular Izula and here is my response (this is what I assumed anyways):

Cyprant,

No. The Damascus materials is a laminated steel that is not consistent enough to be predictable like the steels we use in our other knives. It is a collectible piece and the striking appearance of the Damascus is why people buy it and not to be a hard use tool for life.

Mike

Co-Owner, ESEE Knives and Randall's Adventure

This is correct.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    that is disappointing to me! there is plenty of folks who use damascus for hard use tools. I will be passing on this one then. there is no reason it shouldn't carry the same warranty.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I was going to buy 2, one to use and one to save in the safe for collecting or when my son is ready for it... I am only going to buy 1 (if any) now that these sound more like eye candy...
    I only buy knifes to cut things with. If they look good in the process, thats a bonus.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Update: I have some ESEE Damascus Izula's in stock. They arrived today. The price is $140 which includes shipping. PM me if interested.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hmmm . . .

Wasn't the original intent of pattern welding steel (aka "damascus") to make a stronger, tougher blade than you could get with a regular steel blade?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Hmmm . . .

Wasn't the original intent of pattern welding steel (aka "damascus") to make a stronger, tougher blade than you could get with a regular steel blade?

Yes but that isn't necessarily the case this day and age. True damascus is an amazing steel. other damascus is still good steel but not what it use to be. A russian guy can't remember his name is rocking wootz steel and it's pretty awesome stuff. Still can't remember the russians name but dude on blade forums uses it pretty often. here is some info on it

Wootz steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes but that isn't necessarily the case this day and age. True damascus is an amazing steel. other damascus is still good steel but not what it use to be. A russian guy can't remember his name is rocking wootz steel and it's pretty awesome stuff. Still can't remember the russians name but dude on blade forums uses it pretty often. here is some info on it

Wootz steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Real Wootz is amazing stuff. If any sword really did cut a silk scarf in mid air, it was probably made of wootz! I remember someone in the 90s making a version wootz in crucibles. Back then they described as not technically being a steel since the carbides were discrete from the iron matrix and not in a solid solution as in other steels. I read about it a few times in Blade, but I can't remember who it was.

When Bill Moran was alive and rebirthing damascus (along with several of his peers), they made some amazing blades too. Then you got the guys who were creating reproducible designs and even writing in their pattern welding, which is a whole different critter.

Top Bottom