• Status
    Not open for further replies.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Its a 3D printed G17 frame, been practicing stippling. This is the 4th one and im still not confident enough to do the real thing yet lol. Doing borders and finding a pattern i like has been quite the challenge.
    Can these be made strong enough to, say, make one's one grip modules for a P320?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Its a 3D printed G17 frame, been practicing stippling. This is the 4th one and im still not confident enough to do the real thing yet lol. Doing borders and finding a pattern i like has been quite the challenge.
    You must have missed the purple (sarcasm). I knew what it was. I was poking fun at CM.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Can these be made strong enough to, say, make one's one grip modules for a P320?
    Yeah. One could print it out of carbon fiber PETG and it would be plenty strong. My sight pusher is printed out of CF PETG and its pushed at least a dozen in and out. That said a molded polymer one would still be stronger. When a 3d printed part breaks it does it at the layer lines 9/10 times and molded parts have no layers.
    You must have missed the purple (sarcasm). I knew what it was. I was poking fun at CM.
    Ahhh so thats what was up with the purple lol

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Yeah. One could print it out of carbon fiber PETG and it would be plenty strong. My sight pusher is printed out of CF PETG and its pushed at least a dozen in and out. That said a molded polymer one would still be stronger. When a 3d printed part breaks it does it at the layer lines 9/10 times and molded parts have no layers.

Yup. It all started back in the day because CM invented colors and his favorite one is purple. He grew tired of people being sarcastic online without a good way of knowing they were doing that. So he deemed his favorite color to be used an easy identifier. If you want to get on his good side, he absolutely loves Glocks and gets really excited when we post pictures or talk about them in this thread.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you

That makes sense. I wonder if SLA printers have the same issues as the extrusion types. Their layers are much less obvious. Of course, for personal use, the extrusion 3d printers are a much more practical purchase.

Why not just buy a WC grip module for $65. How much better would a 3D printed grip module be than that?

Pride, mostly. A complete coincidence that I asked about one of the two polymer framed guns that I know of that use a modular system (P250/320 and the Steyr C9-A2) where the grip is independent of serial number.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    That makes sense. I wonder if SLA printers have the same issues as the extrusion types. Their layers are much less obvious. Of course, for personal use, the extrusion 3d printers are a much more practical purchase.

Pride, mostly. A complete coincidence that I asked about one of the two polymer framed guns that I know of that use a modular system (P250/320 and the Steyr C9-A2) where the grip is independent of serial number.
    SLA printers still have layers that could potentially break apart. Their layer height is measured in microns though so the layers aren’t nearly as noticeable. But they print solid, water tight parts, so they do have the potential to be stronger. Id still opt for an injection molded part over a printed part though.
    Yup. It all started back in the day because CM invented colors and his favorite one is purple. He grew tired of people being sarcastic online without a good way of knowing they were doing that. So he deemed his favorite color to be used an easy identifier. If you want to get on his good side, he absolutely loves Glocks and gets really excited when we post pictures or talk about them in this thread.
    Why do i get the feeling that last sentence should’ve been purple...

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven

I'm not sure if you're trying to be a smart*** or what. I have 3 Sigs that use the grip module.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    SLA printers still have layers that could potentially break apart. Their layer height is measured in microns though so the layers aren’t nearly as noticeable.
    I agree. I'm curious how well they could do. I use a FormLabs Form 2 for my work. They have an impressive selection of different resins to choose from. It's mostly just out of curiosity. Of course, SLA and extrusion could both be used for mold making.
    I'm not sure if you're trying to be a smart*** or what. I have 3 Sigs that use the grip module.
    To be 100% straightforward, I have no objection whatsoever to using a Wilson grip module. And I may buy a new grip module for my P250 at some point.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I agree. I'm curious how well they could do. I use a FormLabs Form 2 for my work. They have an impressive selection of different resins to choose from. It's mostly just out of curiosity. Of course, SLA and extrusion could both be used for mold making.

To be 100% straightforward, I have no objection whatsoever to using a Wilson grip module. And I may buy a new grip module for my P250 at some point.
    Gotcha. I thought you were implying I didn't understand how the grip modules were designed. Apologies.

Can anything be done to those 3D printed parts to remove all the lines?

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.

Yeah i dont know a ton about SLA printing. Im the machinist at Seemecnc, we make extrusion style delta 3D printers so thats all ive had experience with. The boss has an SLA printer in his office but ive never seen him use it lol. As far as molding goes we have 3 injection molding presses that i make/service molds for. The only thing we use a printer for on the molding side is prototyping parts before i make a mold for them.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Well, I've either had a "senior day" or you all tried to ditch me. :oops:

With all the glitches I thought the old thread would be "fixed" shortly and kept checking it all day. Did anyone leave bread crumbs for those of us that are more challenged?

cz...

9Jn9Kzr.jpg

2oGfJsp.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun