Not open for further replies.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Gotcha. I thought you were implying I didn't understand how the grip modules were designed. Apologies.

Can anything be done to those 3D printed parts to remove all the lines?
    Sand them down. Then depending on what theyre printed with you wipe them with acetone or go over them with a heat gun to bring the finish back.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Yeah i dont know a ton about SLA printing. Im the machinist at Seemecnc, we make extrusion style delta 3D printers so thats all ive had experience with. The boss has an SLA printer in his office but ive never seen him use it lol. As far as molding goes we have 3 injection molding presses that i make/service molds for. The only thing we use a printer for on the molding side is prototyping parts before i make a mold for them.
    Lol. I make samples or molds for samples (or devices to make molds to make samples) for my work at Purdue, but we don't do anything resembling firearms / heavy industrial work. We had a cheap Monoprice 3d printer. It required more downtime for repairs than it had uptime for actually making useful things.

Gotcha. I thought you were implying I didn't understand how the grip modules were designed. Apologies.

Can anything be done to those 3D printed parts to remove all the lines?

Oh, no. Not at all. Sorry that I wasn't clear on that.

SLA (stereolithography) printing can more or less avoid those lines by printing with high resolution. Though, like BiggRed said, they still do print in layers, just thin layers. Extrusion printers (with a filament) are often cleaned up a bit by hand.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I have a 3D printed throw lever from MK Machining for my Accupoint. Had one on a Razor I used to own also. Not bad looking and half the price of some of the other throw levers. Now that I think about it, I remember sanding the one on the Razor down, but didn't do anything afterwards with acetone or a heat gun.

Will a pic load direct from my phone? Let's try.

Test
    20201229_171044.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Well, I've either had a "senior day" or you all tried to ditch me. :oops:

With all the glitches I thought the old thread would be "fixed" shortly and kept checking it all day. Did anyone leave bread crumbs for those of us that are more challenged?

cz...

9Jn9Kzr.jpg

2oGfJsp.jpg
    The ernj is tasty. I like this color scheme

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I have a 3D printed throw lever from MK Machining for my Accupoint. Had one on a Razor I used to own also. Not bad looking and half the price of some of the other throw levers. Now that I think about it, I remember sanding the one on the Razor down, but didn't do anything afterwards with acetone or a heat gun.

Will a pic load direct from my phone? Let's try.

Test
    View attachment 105583
    Yep ive made a few of those. Theres a fuzzy surface setting in the slicer i use and a little of that hides layer lines really well. I made some extended charging handles out of Carbon fiber filament for my HTA 90/22 and the layers arent even noticeable. 99233349-7615-4D0D-87D8-0B8BEE2E88B6.jpeg old ones AE774C4D-23FC-4FAE-8A90-BE034527AEA8.jpeg New ones

Here is my bosses 16’ tall printer he threw together pretty much just for fun. Talk about serious layer lines lol.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    The 3d printed accessories look pretty good. The only thing gun related I own that's 3d printed is the magazine loader for my P-09.

I'm off. Have a nice evening, everyone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Dropped al 5 project 1911's at AllenM's shop today. 4 are basic jobs easily done with his set up. The stainless is the major work to be done.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom