Not open for further replies.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    I talked to multiple people that didn't do it the electronic way last year and it took a couple weeks, not 3 months.

We do several permits a day, that is not the norm and was not the norm for the previous 13 years either. If they were renewals, they may have been processed faster (see below). In recent years the process with which applications were processed has changed. The applicants criminal history use to be run at the local level and as long as there were no felony convictions (and the Chief or Sheriff signed off on it) the process continued forward and the application was either sent downstate with a fingerprint card by the agency or provided to the applicant and they were instructed to send downstate.

Now, the entire application is sent downstate where they check the criminal history of the applicant and submit fingerprints for a search. The fingerprint search is now processed as a full history search, where previous renewals were only searched against new records since the last approved application date. That is why they asked for you previous LTCH number and date.....although they still ask it is no longer a necessity since they are now running full searches on every application.

Positive responses and unreadable print cards are set aside for manual inspection and either rejected or approved depending on if a person can inspect the prints rather than scanned and/or the applicant is the result of a false positive Soundex (Basically your name, Date of Birth, or other identifier is similar to a convicted felon, wanted person, etc).

Every hiccup causes the process to slow slightly and with the massive increase in applications these issues begin to create a backlog....it is the classic case of Lucy at the chocolate factory.

Last edited:

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    We do several permits a day, that is not the norm and was not the norm for the previous 13 years either. If they were renewals, they may have been processed faster (see below). In recent years the process with which applications were processed has changed. The applicants criminal history use to be run at the local level and as long as there were no felony convictions (and the Chief or Sheriff signed off on it) the process continued forward and the application was either sent downstate with a fingerprint card by the agency or provided to the applicant and they were instructed to send downstate.

Now, the entire application is sent downstate where they check the criminal history of the applicant and submit fingerprints for a search. The fingerprint search is now processed as a full history search, where previous renewals were only searched against new records since the last approved application date. That is why they asked for you previous LTCH number and date.....although they still ask it is no longer a necessity since they are now running full searches on every application.

Positive responses and unreadable print cards are set aside for manual inspection and either rejected or approved depending on if a person can inspect the prints rather than scanned and/or the applicant is the result of a false positive Soundex (Basically your name, Date of Birth, or other identifier is similar to a convicted felon, wanted person, etc).

Every hiccup causes the process to slow slightly and with the massive increase in applications these issues begin to create a backlog....it is the classic case of Lucy at the chocolate factory.

Thanks for the explanation, it's just incredibly frustrating to spend $125 on something that is going to take 14 (probably more) to get. I understand there is a rush right now, but everyone (local pd and when I called ISP) said it wouldn't really matter if I did L1 or not it would be about the same time frame. And this was a day before I did the application.

spray73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I understand there is a rush right now, but everyone (local pd and when I called ISP) said it wouldn't really matter if I did L1 or not it would be about the same time frame. And this was a day before I did the application.

See I was told the same thing by two separate LEO offices when I originally went in.. So I chose to go with the paper prints, being I was told it would not matter.
    Well yesterday I called ISP and talked to a very informative young lady who told me if I were to go L1 now I would receive my LTCH within 6 weeks... :dunno:
    So, I'm stuck trying to decide whether scheduling an L1 and paying the extra fee is worth the reduced time that ISP claims or just wait it out. .

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for the explanation, it's just incredibly frustrating to spend $125 on something that is going to take 14 (probably more) to get. I understand there is a rush right now, but everyone (local pd and when I called ISP) said it wouldn't really matter if I did L1 or not it would be about the same time frame. And this was a day before I did the application.

Thanks, I just realized that I did not address the L1 issue.... L1 is digitized from the start and are placed in a queue when you finish the process at L1. The equipment is pretty fail-safe since it analyzes the prints as they are taken and will reject any unreadable or problem prints.

Once you complete the local payment, they (PD or Sheriff) basically click a button. There is a memo field where comments can be entered by the local agency prior to submission. There is no need to scan a fingerprint card, link the scanned prints to the submitted application, and run then run the query. It is basically a few click of the mouse locally and at ISP. The search takes considerably longer than the process itself.

An interesting and frustrating factoid: Many law enforcement agencies in Indiana offered either become a location for the inkless fingerprinting or to utilize current inkless printing solutions that are used for AFIS in place of inked prints (including our agency), but were denied and the service was given to private company (L1) that charges for the service. My guess is that there is a relationship between the state and L1, much like the state crash reporting service.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    The lady I talked to was named Kim at the ISP. Also, my local PD put my fingerprint card in something that looked like it was scanning it?

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Considering I applied the 22nd of january the slow way. Im scheduling the L1 on friday and paying the 84. Ill get it faster and just wait for my 75 money order refund. Well worth the money imo.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The lady I talked to was named Kim at the ISP. Also, my local PD put my fingerprint card in something that looked like it was scanning it?

If you did inkless paper prints they stick in some machine that makes the ink show up after you roll your fingers.

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Well, it finally happened. Received my LTCH after an over 5 month wait. The process still appears to be and remains violently inefficient.

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    Just thought I would give my details.

Applied L1: 12/12/12
    ISP received: 12/12/12
    Hamilton County
    New lifetime application

Spoke with ISP on Wednesday 1/30/13 and was told my application was still awaiting processing. No prior offenses.

I will update when I actually receive it.....

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Just called and they are working on the 14th apps right now. Should get to mine any time now!!!

EDIT: L1 apps for december 14th. Sorry for not clarifying.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom