• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    When I got my lifetime they hadn't gone to the current system. Fingerprints for my 5-year were done today. I applied on 2 July and this was one of the earliest dates (on Madison Avenue on the south-side.) I'll go to my local PD Monday.
    Just curious, why get a 5 year if you already have the lifetime license? Are there some benefits?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Just curious, why get a 5 year if you already have the lifetime license? Are there some benefits?
    The five-year license was set up to be NICS exempt if The system was down the FFL could proceed because of the five year license.

Also it showed how much potential there was in people wanting to get a license, but it was cost prohibitive.

The free lifetime license that started one July 21, also showed a level of demand beyond anything anyone imagined.

Jr1010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    Lake county
    Submitted 07/06/21
    Local PD 10/13/21
    Just got a denial letter , even though my 5 year was approved in the beginning of 2021 and no life events have occured between then and now that would change my record.

jwcarter2006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Bloomington, IN
    Went to my local Sheriffs Office on 12/8, said everything was good and I would receive my permit in 6-8 weeks. I didn't think to ask at the time so I'll ask you guys. Am I allowed to carry while waiting for my permit?

Jr1010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    Lake county
    Went to my local Sheriffs Office on 12/8, said everything was good and I would receive my permit in 6-8 weeks. I didn't think to ask at the time so I'll ask you guys. Am I allowed to carry while waiting for my permit?
    No, absolutely not.

If some string of events happens and you haven't officially received your carry card after the ISP review, you could potentially be charged, and then you will not be eligible for a minimum of 5 years, or potentially ever.

I have a 5 year LTCH in good standing , and for some reason they denied my lifetime , so even if everything looks good at local PD it isn't official yet until you receive a physical LTCH.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No, absolutely not.

If some string of events happens and you haven't officially received your carry card after the ISP review, you could potentially be charged, and then you will not be eligible for a minimum of 5 years, or potentially ever.

I have a 5 year LTCH in good standing , and for some reason they denied my lifetime , so even if everything looks good at local PD it isn't official yet until you receive a physical LTCH.
    While NO is a pretty good answer in this case (don't want anybody getting cuffed and stuffed/better safe than sorry/not getting in your business on Christmas Eve or anything) there are a few exceptions:

IC 35-47-2-1Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery

Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and sections 2 through 2.1 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.

(b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:

(1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;

(2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:

(A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;

(B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or

(C) is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;

(3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:

(A) unloaded;

(B) not readily accessible; and

(C) secured in a case;

(4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:

(A) unloaded;

(B) not readily accessible; and

(C) secured in a case;

(5) the person carries the handgun:

(A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);

(B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or

(C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity; or

GunMadeOfPaper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Started my application on 12/19 got my last set of fingerprints at the City County Building on 12/28/21 . Any guesses as to how long I need to wait? Still says Pending Local Approval.

jwcarter2006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Bloomington, IN
    Started my application on 12/19 got my last set of fingerprints at the City County Building on 12/28/21 . Any guesses as to how long I need to wait? Still says Pending Local Approval.
    After I got my figerprints done it took about a week before I was allowed to go to my local Sheriff's department and they told me it would take 6-8 weeks before I would receive my license in the mail.

Last edited:

Combat Engineer

One of the three percent.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2022
    Mauckport In.
    Yes it was Corydon.My records spotless so to speak...that must really speed up the process here.The day i applied they scheduled me for fingerprinting three days later.Transmitted results to the ISP before i made it home from being fingerprinted.Checked the firearms portal daily....guess the paper license will be here tomorrow if i understood correctly.
    The wait in Marion county is currently five months for fingerprints. Did you get yours in Corydon or somewhere down there?
    e

Last edited:

Colts Ironman

Sua Sponte, Rangers Lead the Way
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    Here I am again. Fortunately I've met some good people doing sales and trades since I moved back here from VA in July '21. (Indianapolis) I applied August August 3, Had my prints done at IdentoGo on August 4, 2021. Came home and immediately booked my appointment for my local prints at the County-City building. First available was February 2. I finally finished this absurd process after 6 months!!!

Now I'll just have to wait for my card. Guy at the building said it could be two weeks or 6. I've lived on the East coast my entire adult life and always claimed I'm a Hoosier born and raised but the application process here is embarrassing. It's also pretty dumb. In VA no permit is needed for open carry and they only issue a 5 year permit. It's cheap and ranges from $25-50. Vets only need to show their DD214 and within two weeks you usually have your permit or within 45 days they must. No prints needed. Lord knows I have many sets of prints out there from my military and government jobs. It's redundant to have to go pay for a full set and then visit your local agency for just a thumb and finger as if your prints have changed. The entire process took me 3 minutes from the time I walked in the door of the city services office (I timed it). Absolutely dumb. 6 month wait for that?? Took me longer to find parking lol

Also, I don't see a need for any permit personally so there's my take on constitutional carry but why have two different ones? It's free now so it can't be a money grab to get you to pay more for one or the other. Passing constitutional carry sure would free up a lot of paperwork and less Leo business of paper pushing when we all know this city needs more officers. Those who are law biding citizens wanting to carry to protect themselves shouldn't have to wait 6 months or longer...not even a day when it's their right!!

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    Yes it was Corydon.My records spotless so to speak...that must really speed up the process here.The day i applied they scheduled me for fingerprinting three days later.Transmitted results to the ISP before i made it home from being fingerprinted.Checked the firearms portal daily....guess the paper license will be here tomorrow if i understood correctly.

e

I had to expunge stuff, so not spotless. Once I cleaned my record my permit process went super fast and without issue. Maybe I was fresh in their mind. People in Indy seem to have a more difficult time and a longer wait. Its a plastic card now, not paper. Anyone with paper can get a plastic one for $20. I have seen the condition of those paper permits after about 10yrs. Even laminated you can hardly read them.

Butter.Actual

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 15, 2021
    Portage
    03/20/2021 Applied for LTCH

03/25/2021 Fingerprints done

Minor delay:
    02/20/2022 Locally submitted (for free, woohoo)

02/21/2022 60 Days email

Will update when it comes in!

Top Bottom