• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rifle Shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    North Side Indy
    I am in the same boat. I started my application, got finger prints and living in Marion county I have to go through the county office, soonest date was 6 months from now.

The thing I don't understand is on the ISP site it has you acknowledge that you have 365 days from application process to complete the process but there is also a line on a different page that states you only have 90 days to have your Fingerprints and local law enforcement check completed, so which is it?

Do us Marion county residents have any options to be able to initialize the background check in a reasonable time frame? Is there any potential legal recourse possible? 6 months just to request a background check seems like infringement to me...
    Yeah, that's what I'm trying to determine too. I'm tempted to just go to the city-county building and see if I can be seen without an appointment. My problem is that I am a college student, and just started a new full time job, I don't know my schedule six months from now. I don't know if I'll be able to get to my IMPD appointment by then. Yes, this seems like an infringement.

Colts Ironman

Sua Sponte, Rangers Lead the Way
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    O.K. I'm trying to figure this out. I really need help before something expires and I have to restart. Seems everyone moved through much quicker so I am not sure if I am holding up my own process on this. I see everyone's timeline of approvals but being new to Indiana (not really), I lived in VA my entire adult life, and getting a permit there is like "stealing candy from a baby". Baffles me there's such a process here but I digress...

Marion County resident
    Question #1 (Where do I go for my local agency?)
    >Applied for a lifetime permit on 8/4/21
    >IdentoGo fingerprints on 8/6/21
    >ISP received
    >Made an appointment for local leo on 8/6 but the first available was 2/2/22!
    Checked the status of my permit this morning and says it's waiting on my payment and background check from my local LEO office.
    Question #2
    I thought I already did the background check with the application and fingerprints I had done at IdentoGo??
    Question # 3 Are there two background checks? Then to buy a gun they do another?
    Question #4 Do I need to go pay the fee before I can move forward?

Thank you

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Marion County resident
    Question #1 (Where do I go for my local agency?)

To your local law enforcement agency. Who would you call for a reportable police incident?
    Question #2
    I thought I already did the background check with the application and fingerprints I had done at IdentoGo??
    Question # 3 Are there two background checks?
    Yes, the ISP ran a background check. Local law enforcement runs another. This is to catch stuff like protection orders only in the local system.
    Then to buy a gun they do another?
    Each time you buy a gun from an FFL you fill out the 4473 and they run a background check.
    Question #4 Do I need to go pay the fee before I can move forward?
    You will pay any local fees when they do the local check.

Apache6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2021
    Shelby County
    Fingerprints Submitted by Local PD 4/21

Approved by ISP Fri 6/16-17
    Received 6/19

Mine was waiting on ISP for nearly two months because I just recently gained proper person status through an expungement. The LTCH was the easy part. Getting the ISP to update the FBI record so I can buy from an FFL was the hard part. Got it done however and now my FFL buys go through lickity split.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How long did it take for NICS to be updated after you had the expungement was approved? I have heard horror stories of trying to get that sorted out between state and federal databases.
    Submitted by local PD 8/24
    ISP approval 9/28
    Waiting for mail like I’m deployed again. Lol

Last edited:

Out Of Order

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Greenwood

street_sweeper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2021
    Indiana
    After i completed the online application it asked me i I wanted to make an appointment with identogo. Just pick any one of sites that has an available appointment. I used postal express. Then to get impd finger prints. Go here, https://www.indy.gov/activity/apply-for-a-gun-permit
    Click the green button. Keep checking back until an appointment opens up.
    My post edit apparently didn’t save, I was referring to the impd appointment, I’ve checked the appointment site probably 2 dozen times. It’s never gotten any earlier and is currently showing April 6th…

Out Of Order

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Greenwood
    My post edit apparently didn’t save, I was referring to the impd appointment, I’ve checked the appointment site probably 2 dozen times. It’s never gotten any earlier and is currently showing April 6th…
    I must have gotten lucky. I was watching the Colts game. And just decided to look at the web site to see how bad the wait time was going to be. They had one appointment for the next day. I let my girlfriend have it . Just out of curiosity I looked later and they had another appointment. We ended up having appointments 5 minutes apart. I would check multiple times a day. Even on the weekends. Good luck!

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    How long did it take for NICS to be updated after you had the expungement was approved? I have heard horror stories of trying to get that sorted out between state and federal databases.
    Submitted by local PD 8/24
    ISP approval 9/28
    Waiting for mail like I’m deployed again. Lol

I don’t think ISP would have EVER updated the FBI NICS. I had to email them (expungement@isp.in.gov). I don’t think they would have ever updated without my asking them to.
    You have to get your FBI record to know whats on it. Thats a whole process unto itself. Requires fingerprints and waiting. So then record in hand (from FBI), I had to contact State Police and say “hey, these are expunged can you please update the FBI.” They say yes.
    Of course I cannot expect that to happen overnight so I gave it some weeks and tried another 4473. This time instead of immediately denied I was delayed. Perpetually delayed. 30 days expired and that delay NEVER got a proceed.
    So I pull the record again and find they hadn’t removed a misdemeanor in Indianapolis. It was charged as a felony but I was only convicted of a misdemeanor. It too was expunged but that judge was slow and it was 30 days behind everything else. It was a misdemeanor many years ago and should not have prevented my gun buy.
    I contacted ISP again. Again they said they would get the FBI updated. Then I went to buy my P365 and 4473 went through lickity split. Just seconds. I have purchased several firearms since and haven’t been delayed or denied. I have a ATF form 4 for a silencer in process right now.

Its not easy. Its not cheap. Maybe it shouldn’t be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colts Ironman

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    How did you get the prints

Lifetime
    Marion County
    9/10 Online application
    9/11 IdentoGo finger prints
    9/13 Impd finger prints
    9/25 Card in hand
    $12.95 Total
    I am completely dumbfounded by this process. I thought Indiana was a Pro 2A state? I'm recently new here to Indiana. Coming from Virginia where getting a permit is as easy as making toast. Especially if you're a Veteran. I come here and have to wait. I submitted my application (Lifetime) on 8-5-21. IdentiGo prints on 8-6-21. Went online to find the next appointment wasn't until February 2nd for local prints. Yet, I have seen many posts on here in the same county as I (Marion), that got completed with the card in hand all in the same month!

I got an email from INKless Results confirming my application submission that read "if you live in an incorporated city or town, go to the city police or marshal's office. If you live outside the incorporated limits of the city or town, go to the sheriff's office. I live very close to Brebeuf HS and in the Pike Township area. Do I still need to go to the city for the second set of prints?

Why is this such a difficult process? I hope we can get this fixed. It really shouldn't be that difficult. (end rant)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I am completely dumbfounded by this process. I thought Indiana was a Pro 2A state? I'm recently new here to Indiana. Coming from Virginia where getting a permit is as easy as making toast. Especially if you're a Veteran. I come here and have to wait. I submitted my application (Lifetime) on 8-5-21. IdentiGo prints on 8-6-21. Went online to find the next appointment wasn't until February 2nd for local prints. Yet, I have seen many posts on here in the same county as I (Marion), that got completed with the card in hand all in the same month!

I got an email from INKless Results confirming my application submission that read "if you live in an incorporated city or town, go to the city police or marshal's office. If you live outside the incorporated limits of the city or town, go to the sheriff's office. I live very close to Brebeuf HS and in the Pike Township area. Do I still need to go to the city for the second set of prints?

Why is this such a difficult process? I hope we can get this fixed. It really shouldn't be that difficult. (end rant)

You're right. It shouldn't be that hard.
    Many here, including myself, think it shouldn't even be necessary, and we are trying for "Constitutional Carry".
    There's a thread around here somewhere. I'm on my cell phone and too lazy to look it up.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    S

Something is really hokie here! :lol2:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    You're right. It shouldn't be that hard.
    Many here, including myself, think it shouldn't even be necessary, and we are trying for "Constitutional Carry".
    There's a thread around here somewhere. I'm on my cell phone and too lazy to look it up.
    Did someone mention ConC?

Colts Ironman

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    Update for me. I almost had an appointment for Friday. Saw it was available but since I already have one scheduled (for Feb 2!) it wouldn't let me take the appointment! At least they are being flexible with the 6 month expiration. If you don't get it all done by 6 months you have to start all over but due to the backlog they are not taking that seriously.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Update for me. I almost had an appointment for Friday. Saw it was available but since I already have one scheduled (for Feb 2!) it wouldn't let me take the appointment! At least they are being flexible with the 6 month expiration. If you don't get it all done by 6 months you have to start all over but due to the backlog they are not taking that seriously.
    Appointment for fingerprints that far out?

Top Bottom