• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indy Geist Area
    I keep hearing that sales of new firearms keep climbing and climbing. Also, it seems that many of the threads on INGO focus on relatively new firearms.

How much demand is there these days for used pistols from the 1970s-1980s?

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    depends on what it is and condition.

Price is relative too. Alot of guys remember buying colt 1911's for under $400 and smith revolvers well under $200 so they get hesitant to buy above those prices. Many younger guys will look at used guns that are cheaper than current production prices.

tdosha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I prefer to buy used, in fact I only have one new gun in my collection. The one new one was a gift from my wife for an anniversary.
    Price isn't the only reason I buy used. I prefer that the government not know exactly what I have. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I'm actually an elected official. I just like to control the info on me that is out there.

I'm curious if others feel the same way?

TO

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I prefer to buy used...
    Price isn't the only reason I buy used. I prefer that the government not know exactly what I have. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, ... I just like to control the info on me that is out there.

I'm curious if others feel the same way?

TO

Yes

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    Price is relative too...

No, when a new Glock or XD is $500 and people post WTS ads for $600-$700 for a used Glock or XD, that IS high :noway:

Sorry but Glocks are a dime a dozen and people that think they can get their full retail+ $100/$200 for a couple extra mags for a used Glock is smoking some funny. :n00b::n00b:

Especially for people that can get new Glock with LE Pricing for $400.

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    :+1: Or they added a flashlight. I bought my used Gen 3 Glock 23 for less than 400. I don't see how anyone expects to sell a used Glock without giving people something of a deal.

No, when a new Glock or XD is $500 and people post WTS ads for $600-$700 for a used Glock or XD, that IS high :noway:

Sorry but Glocks are a dime a dozen and people that think they can get their full retail+ $100/$200 for a couple extra mags for a used Glock is smoking some funny. :n00b::n00b:

Especially for people that can get new Glock with LE Pricing for $400.

rcdouble2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Seems for me, that all the handguns I am interested in, the used cost just as much as the new. But some of the used guns will be of better quality over the new models. I will pay for quality over new everytime.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I too am reluctant to fill out 4473's. I am a firm believer in "It is just none of the government's business!" I won't say how many guns I own, but way less than 10% are on paper.
    I agree that used firearms are mostly over priced. To get a decent buy, you have to shop hard or just be at the right place at the right time. Example: A guy wanted to sell a 3 month old LCR for $225 for Christmas shopping money. Guess where it now resides?
    There are a few decent buys, even on the tables of any gun show. You just have to educate yourself on the values of firearms, and keep your eyes and ears open. I memorized the second issue of the Blue Book of Gun Values cover to cover. I was sick and tired of being screwed on buying or selling guns and paying too much or getting too little for mine. Did it in self defense. Took me almost a year and a half to memorize it, but finally got it done. Studied a little or a lot almost every day. I generally only like older guns, so that is what I update myself on.
    I bought an old Savage model 23 Sporter at the Tipton gun show Saturday. It is one of the nicest ones I have ever seen, and also has a Lyman receiver sight on it. Got what I consider a great deal on it, but I first had to know what it was and how much it is worth. It was made in the 1920's. The same principles apply to any firearm, new or older. Just arm yourself with knowledge!
    As far as collector guns, You would be surprised at how many dealers/shop owners don't know much about the more valuable or rarer guns. Seems they just don't educate themselves, and so it sometimes costs them quite a bit in lost profits. I have bought more than a few guns that were worth substantially more than the asking price. Knowledge is power and in this case, money, also.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The high price of used guns is just for the guys who think they have to spend $600 on a gun or it means they don't love their family.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    As an enthusiast of guns who spent 10 years away from the market, I can't believe what people are asking, and GETTING for used guns. Prices are ridiculous, even for ammo! Is it politics? Raw materials? paranoia? Is it ever going to calm down?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As an enthusiast of guns who spent 10 years away from the market, I can't believe what people are asking, and GETTING for used guns. Prices are ridiculous, even for ammo! Is it politics? Raw materials? paranoia? Is it ever going to calm down?

I'm with you on this. I too am back in the market and all I want to do is buy a nice 1911 and there are none to be had. I can understand smaller companies not being able to keep up with demand, but mass producers live on volume. They should have the lines running full tilt producing product. There not making money either if they aren't shipping product.

I just called Bradis and they were very nice, but the guy I talked to said that he doesn't have and can't get a 4" 1911 from Kimber, SA, Sig or S&W.

I'll try some of the gun shows, but I will walk if the price is too high for what is being offered.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom