• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I was curious how particular guns become classified as Curio and Relics? Some of them shoot modern ammunition and are just as deadly as others. Why aren't some older guns C&R? What makes a gun a C&R? Thanks...

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    It goes something like this... Loosely quoting the ATF here.

1. Any firearm manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not replicas. (this really only applies to the year. day and month are of little consequence)

2. Firearms certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to Be Curios or Relics of museum interest.

3. Firearms that derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

The 50 years+ is the most common way for a firearm to be classified as a C&R. As for the older guns... If it's at least 50 years old, it's C&R. If it was manufactured in or before 1898 (or is it 1899?) it's considered an antique and not subject to the federal restrictions, with the exception of machine guns and such.

Hope that answers your question.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Are you 100% certain about this?
    From my understanding you must get normal ATF approval but once that happens they can ship it to your door. If the class three weapon is a C & R which I am 100 % certain there are some.
    David Spiwak - Machine Guns

Please enlighten me and tell me which select fire or automatic weapons that are indeed C&R listed that I can have shipped to my door.

BTW WTF is a C & R state? I didn'trealize that the state laws trumped federal laws. If you read this website you listed it SEEMS to claim that you can, once you get ATF approval, have an NFA weapon shipped to your door....

Last edited:

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Not to thread jack but can a person with a FFL CNR licence buy a regular gun ( Say a glock) from another FFL and have it shipped to their house or does it have to fall the the Curio Relic classification?

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    Let me enlighten you.....
    ATF Online - Publications - Firearms - Curios or Relics List

There are several but here are a few
    page 47 lists these
    Colt, Machinegun, model 1895, any caliber.
    Colt, Machinegun, model 1914, any caliber.
    Colt, Model MG38 and MG38B, water cooled machinegun any cal. mfd. by Colt.
    Colt, Model 1919 auto rifle.
    Colt, Model 1921, Model 1921A1, Model 52, and Model 52A, .50 cal., water-cooled machinegun, as
    originally mfd. by Colt and bearing the original S/N with the letter "C" prefix.​
    Colt, Monitor model machine rifle, cal. 30-06, commercial version of the BAR, 18" barrel, vertical pistol

Last edited:

Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 14, 2009
    Danville
    Let me enlighten you.....
    ATF Online - Publications - Firearms - Curios or Relics List

There are several but here are a few
    page 47 lists these
    Colt, Machinegun, model 1895, any caliber.
    Colt, Machinegun, model 1914, any caliber.
    Colt, Model MG38 and MG38B, water cooled machinegun any cal. mfd. by Colt.
    Colt, Model 1919 auto rifle.
    Colt, Model 1921, Model 1921A1, Model 52, and Model 52A, .50 cal., water-cooled machinegun, as
    originally mfd. by Colt and bearing the original S/N with the letter "C" prefix.

Colt, Monitor model machine rifle, cal. 30-06, commercial version of the BAR, 18" barrel, vertical pistol

Thanks-beat me to it!
    Here is one for sale: WTS: Colt Armalite AR15, Mod 01; $18,000
    Michigan is no longer C&R but I believe Wisconsin still is C&R only.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    [strike]Please enlighten me and tell me which select fire or automatic weapons that are indeed C&R listed that I can have shipped to my door.[/strike]

BTW WTF is a C & R state? I didn'trealize that the state laws trumped federal laws. If you read this website you listed it SEEMS to claim that you can, once you get ATF approval, have an NFA weapon shipped to your door....
    I believe that part of the C&R rules state that you have to follow your own state/local laws. So some C&R weapons would not be allowed in some states like (cough, cough) Illinois and California.

BTW When you get your C&R license they send you a CD with all the state laws regarding firearms. Only problem it is about three years out of date.

Top Bottom