• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Well we started our long journey on Wednesday. We left Anchorage at 3pm and made it to Tok, AK around 9:30. We stayed at Gateway RV Park for the night. The roads were horrible lots of frost heaves and too much construction, but we made it.
    8d1f2cce.jpg

Day 2 we drove to Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory. Left Tok around 9am and arrived at Hi Country RV Park at 6pm. We met 2 couples from Australia who invited us over for a night cap. Really nice people glad we got to meet them.
    87429ef7.jpg

The Aussies
    8575e80a.jpg

Day 3 we left Whitehorse at 9am and arrived at Muncho Lake around 5pm. We had our Honeymoon there in 2008 and couldn't wait to go back. This time it was the worst night ever. My son wouldn't sleep, the dog barked at every noise and the bed was hard as a rock. Should have slept in the camper. We did see some wildlife though. 2 black bears and 8 bison.
    aae748df.jpg

ffed589d.jpg

bca8b823.jpg

Day 4 we made it to Dawson Creek still in B.C. We seen another black bear today along with dozens of dall sheep and even a caribou. We drove about 9 hours today and so far all is good. The A/C on the camper got rained on and then leaked in the camper, but I got it covered now. Everything is working as it should and no issues. Little Travis gets restless often and the wife, being pregnant needs to stop regularly, but we still make good time. We should make it to Jasper/Banff National Park tomorrow then back in the US on Monday.
    8bddd5e5.jpg

Day 5 we left Dawson Creek and headed to Jasper/Banff NP. We saw 3 deer and 2 elk while there. Instead of camping there we pushed on and reached Great Falls Montana at 4am. It was a 19 hour drive that nearly killed us.
    37fcca0b.jpg

Day 6 was supposed to be an easy day, but our neighbors from Alaska just happened to be visiting family in Idaho and invited us to stay there. So we drove to Idaho Falls and stayed in their driveway.
    ec1efbb4.jpg

Talk about a small world.

Day 7 we made it to Moab Utah. Camped at Riverside Oasis.

Day 8 we finally got laundry done and some much needed rest. Restocked and resupplied too.
    2d086aac.jpg

7e497213.jpg

The views from the campground.
    e891d218.jpg

8bfcaf23.jpg

The Colorado River behind our site.
    65708537.jpg

The dog hated his first thunderstorm. It was so windy it almost ripped the neighbors awning off his camper. They weren't here so I went out in the pouring rain to save it. That's my good deed for the day.

Day 9 we decided to head over to Arches National Park. It wasn't too crowded which was nice, but it was in the 90's. Since we had the baby we only hiked the easy trails. I have to say the scenery here is stunning. I'm glad we came. The RV park is the nicest one I have ever seen too. We like it so much we have decided to skip The Grand Canyon and stay here until Sunday. We want to explore Canyonlands and spend a day in Moab just looking around.

North Window an easy trail for us.
    DSC03802.jpg

DSC03810.jpg

DSC03812.jpg

DSC03819.jpg

DSC03787.jpg

DSC03786.jpg

DSC03780.jpg

DSC03824.jpg

DSC03847.jpg

We still have a long way to get to Florida so more pictures to come.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Did the trip from Here to Fairbanks and back (actually up the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Circle for you Ice Road Trucker fans) about 3 years ago. Right around 10,000 miles on the Durango in a month... It was the adventure of a lifetime for our family. Glad to see someone else doing something huge like that. Take all of the pix you can. And you'll NEVER regret doing it.

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Your pics are always some of the best on INGO.

Hows the MPG's on the truck??

Thanks.

Getting 10 mpg's which from what I've heard is about right.

Day 10 we headed to Dead Horse Point. It was only about 20 minutes from our campsite and was very easy to get to. We spend about 3 hours driving and walking through the Park. Apparently it's the "Grand Canyon" of Utah. The Colorado River is 2,000 feet below and the views are stunning.

DSC03890.jpg

DSC03871.jpg

DSC03867.jpg

DSC03863.jpg

DSC03889.jpg

Last edited:

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Well our long trip is finally over. We made it to Florida last Friday. We left Moab Utah and made it to Oklahoma City in about 16 hours. We stayed with In-Laws for 5 days. I got to see my father-in-law's 1972 Olds 442 that he restored. What a beautiful car. He also passed down several guns to us. A Mossberg 12 ga shotgun, a Stevens Model 53-B and a Winchester Model 94 30-30. The heat just about killed us, triple digits every day. We left there and headed to my hometown in Otwell Indiana. Finally had a chance to see my oldest son Kyle. He's 12 now and man is he big.
    photo1.jpg

I also got to see my house. Disgusting is a nice way of putting it. No hope selling it unless I put lots of money into fixing it up. The inside looks worse than the outside and the outside was pretty bad.
    photo.jpg

One thing for sure, we don't want live there again.
    We arrived in Florida last Friday and got into our new house on Sunday. Our household goods finally got delivered yesterday, but a lot of our stuff got broke. This week has been one issue after another, but we are so glad to be here. We haven't made it to the beach yet, but we'll get there very soon. This trip was a once in a lifetime adventure and I'm glad, because I don't think I could handle a second one. All in all we were on the road for 24 days. We traveled through 3 Canadian Provinces, 15 States and drove 6,005 miles. The camper worked very well. The small window A/C kept it tolerable even in triple digits, but above 90 the fridge couldn't keep things cool. The truck had no issues except guzzling the fuel, 10 MPG not very good. The best news of all, we found out yesterday that my wife made Staff Sergeant! This trip was more than an adventure, it was an awakening. It has opened our eyes and put many things in perspective for us. Our life and marriage are better than ever and we are truly truly happy.

Top Bottom