• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't know if this is common or not, but somehow my Citibank card got used on several different Amazon accounts for flex pay stuff. Amazon wouldn't give me any info other than to verify it wasn't my account and that it was digital goods so wasn't shipped anywhere. Citi refunded my money without issue in less than a week.

I didn't catch it right away, the transactions were small and didn't catch my attention since both my wife and I use the card. I may have glossed over it entirely except I don't have my Citi card tied to my Amazon account so when I went to pay the bill and saw Amazon it itched my brain a bit until I thought it through. None of my other cards were effected, and no fraudulent activity occurred anywhere other than Amazon. I don't think it was a skimmer or a waiter writing down the card number or the like because of that, probably some online breach.

Lpherr

Occupied
    There have been several breach's lately. Xfinity was one of them, and then they removed the 2SV after words. WTH?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Do you give your card to the waiter at the restaurant and let them walk away with it?

Yeah, it's pretty common practice here. I doubt that's the issue, though, given the way it was used. All digital goods makes me think someone is buying there own BS items on Amazon using stolen credit card numbers.

Something like:
    List e-book subscription service for $30
    Use stolen credit card numbers to sign up for the service
    Get the money

Amazon will eat the loss for the fraudulent cc, the 'author' will have the money.

Probably a decent living if you're a scammer in India or Nigeria or wherever.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yeah, it's pretty common practice here. I doubt that's the issue, though, given the way it was used. All digital goods makes me think someone is buying there own BS items on Amazon using stolen credit card numbers.

Something like:
    List e-book subscription service for $30
    Use stolen credit card numbers to sign up for the service
    Get the money

Amazon will eat the loss for the fraudulent cc, the 'author' will have the money.

Probably a decent living if you're a scammer in India or Nigeria or wherever.
    I thought it was.
    Over here you don't ever give your card to anyone unless it's someone at your own bank.
    If you need to pay at a restaurant they bring a card reader to your table, you never give them your card.

Anytime I pay for anything, anywhere, my card never leave my hand and nobody gets a chance to see the number on the front of it.

If I use contactless payment at a store I hold my card in the palm of my hand, fully covering it.
    The cashier doesn't get to see what type of card I'm even using.

And in case somehow someone got to see the 16 digits on the front (and try to take a quick pic) of the card they can't use it, because the 3 security digits on the other side are covered by a temper-proof sticker.

s-l1200.webp

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Happened to my card awhile ago. BS small charges, less the $10. Couple of them before the Credit Union caught and called me.

Weird I thought. Figured maybe someone seeing if it was a valid card by charging small amounts and then hitting it big.

Credit Union has always been great on it. Fixed it with new card in 48 hrs.

Don

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I thought it was.
    Over here you don't ever give your card to anyone unless it's someone at your own bank.
    If you need to pay at a restaurant they bring a card reader to your table, you never give them your card.

Anytime I pay for anything, anywhere, my card never leave my hand and nobody gets a chance to see the number on the front of it.

If I use contactless payment at a store I hold my card in the palm of my hand, fully covering it.
    The cashier doesn't get to see what type of card I'm even using.

And in case somehow someone got to see the 16 digits on the front (and try to take a quick pic) of the card they can't use it, because the 3 security digits on the other side are covered by a temper-proof sticker.

s-l1200.webp
    Do you not have fraud protections across the pond? I don't go out of the way to give people my card number, but giving your waiter your card is par for the course over here. If my card gets hit with an unauthorized charge, it's really no skin off of my nose. It's happened to me a couple of times, but they were likely an online breach and not a waiter, as they were charges in eastern Europe. Credited to my account right away.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do you not have fraud protections across the pond? I don't go out of the way to give people my card number, but giving your waiter your card is par for the course over here. If my card gets hit with an unauthorized charge, it's really no skin off of my nose. It's happened to me a couple of times, but they were likely an online breach and not a waiter, as they were charges in eastern Europe. Credited to my account right away.
    Over here it's seen as very careless to give your card to anyone, and let it out of your sight for even a few seconds.
    I don't know anyone who does that.
    I think any waiter would probably just refuse to even touch your card.
    The waiter can't just swipe my card to get the payment anyway.
    They need bring a portable card reader to your table and you need to enter your PIN code to pay.
    Most people use debit cards in Europe, and not credit cards, but they provide pretty much the same level of security against fraud.
    Maybe you're more careful when you're using your own money and not the bank's money.

I don't know if it's offers more protection against fraud or if it's just a cultural difference.

I have airbags in my car but I still try not to crash into incoming traffic. :dunno:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Most people use debit cards in Europe, and not credit cards, but they provide pretty much the same level of security against fraud.
    There's the difference. I'm not giving anyone my debit card, that's tied to my actual money. I never use my debit card, other than the occasional cash withdrawl at an ATM. I'm talking about my credit card, which is what I use daily. I couldn't care less who hits my Capital One Visa card, 'cause I've got Samuel L. Jackson watching my back.

:):

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    There's the difference. I'm not giving anyone my debit card, that's tied to my actual money. I never use my debit card, other than the occasional cash withdrawl at an ATM. I'm talking about my credit card, which is what I use daily. I couldn't care less who hits my Capital One Visa card, 'cause I've got Samuel L. Jackson watching my back.

Same here. I'll find out about a fraudulent charge when I review my statement, unless they catch it before then. It's not my money, so I'm not concerned.

I can't recall the last time I had to get a new card number issued over a fraudulent charge...and I use my card A LOT.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Most people use debit cards to pay for anything here.
    You still get fraud protection and can be refunded if you didn't authorize a payment online or anywhere else.

Some use deferred debit card, few use actual credit cards.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Most people use debit cards to pay for anything here.
    You still get fraud protection and can be refunded if you didn't authorize a payment online or anywhere else.

Some use deferred debit card, few use actual credit cards.
    I use a debit card for almost everything. People here live in fear of using a debit card for no reason in my opinion. I have had credit and debit card fraud before. Mine were basically handled in the same way.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I use a debit card for almost everything. People here live in fear of using a debit card for no reason in my opinion. I have had credit and debit card fraud before. Mine were basically handled in the same way.
    Same here. And when my debit card was compromised, I had a new card the same day by just going to my credit union branch. Money is usually back in the account in 3 business days or less.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yep.
    They offer the same amount of protection.

Visa's Zero Liability Policy is our guarantee that you won't be held responsible for unauthorized charges made with your account or account information. You're protected if your Visa credit or debit card is lost, stolen or fraudulently used, online or offline

Top Bottom