• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Hey, I see folks once in a while that say they work at Crane.

Lets get a list together and do lunch sometime or sumpin.

I work at 3168 myself.

Anyone?

Johnny C

dcbark01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    Without getting into anything that might compromise OPSEC, I'm a mechanical engineering student and I'll be graduating in December, and I was wondering what people thought about working at Crane? I applied to co-op there a couple years ago, but that didn't pan out. It seems like there's some really cool projects going on there. Any thoughts?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I work at 3168 myself.
    I used to work in 3168. I moved across the street about a year ago. I like my job much better now.

I'd be down for a gtg. We tried to do one on arfcom hometown forum a few years ago but it never came together. There are a lot of Crane guys over there.

Without getting into anything that might compromise OPSEC, I'm a mechanical engineering student and I'll be graduating in December, and I was wondering what people thought about working at Crane? I applied to co-op there a couple years ago, but that didn't pan out. It seems like there's some really cool projects going on there. Any thoughts?
    If you're looking for the job that is exciting everyday and you just can't wait to get into work then good luck finding it, especially at Crane. Most jobs here are the type where you find your little niche and that's what you do until you switch jobs. I know people that have been doing the exact same task everyday for over a decade. I'm not saying that those types of jobs suck, because I enjoy my job. However, it does get a bit monotonous and there are days where I just don't want to go to work.

Any job that is cool, exciting etc, has a waiting list to get into. And the odds of a fresh college grad filling that role are slim. They typically look internally for interested parties before going outside to fill a job opening.

For example, if I wanted to move to a small arms job, I would likely be given consideration before anybody from outside DoD. If nobody wants that job internally, then they will open the position up.

BTW, jobs at small arms, and all the exciting jobs are VERY hard to get. The reason for that is probably self-explanatory.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Of course a lot of folks on this board think Govt. workere are part of the problem:rolleyes:, and some of them are. But the fact is that contracting things out costs more and some times the results are unacceptable.

Anyhoo, the benefits are nice (untill the Bammer gets done with us) and depending on your qualifications, there are some cool jobs.

Right now there is a slim chance that you can get onboard though. When I came on board, I had my choice of 3 different jobs.

If you can get a Co-op or intern position, that increases your chances of being hired on full time.

And doesnt everyone want a position in small arms...:draw:

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    My dept used to have some things stored in a warehouse that we shared with small arms.

There were huge pallet crates filled with M14s stacked to the ceiling.
    10s of thousand of them.

Here and there on the floor there were stripped guns that it was obvious someone had aquired some mil-spec "parts" ...probally for their guns at home. Some folks were obviously tempted with a 5 finger discount and they gave in.:xmad:

I suppose all those M14s have been reworked with Sage stocks and sent to Iraq by now.

Johnny C

Top Bottom