• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Are there any cowboy action shooters here. I attended my first match today. On the way home I called my wife and told her I need to buy a lot more guns!

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    CAS is something I'd like to try, but since you need more guns on you than my Dad had at Guadalcanal, I'd need to sell one of my cars to get the stuff needed. (lol) Where was the match you attended, Delmar?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I used to shoot CAS. It was a lot of fun back then, I'm not sure where it's at now. I started out shooting traditional because I figured that it was where the 'spirit of the game' was at. I kept losing to guys who were shootign super light .38 special loads when I was shooting my .45's with 250 gr bullets at 900fps; y'know the way it really was! I got sixk of it and swithed to black powder cartridge class. It was alots of fun, shooting a pair of 1872 Open Tops and an 1860 Henry, all chambered for .45 S&W with 245gr bullets launced by a case full of FFg, The 10 ga coach gun with hammers drew lots of attention, too! Then, the guys who couldn't win in the tradtional or modern clas started coming to the BPC class, shooting their .38's loaded with half a case (or less) of Pyrodex and the rest full of filler, like Cream of Wheat. They were almost as fast as they were shooting the smokless classes. It got to be not as much fun, as I felt like I was playing a different game than 90% of the rest of the guys there. I ended up selling off my CAS guns for the most part. i still like that style of gun and actually could compete anytime as I've got a few SxS shotguns, a few lever actions and plenty of single action revolvers. who knows, I may get th eitch and try it again sometime. it is a fun way to spend a Sunday, as long as you don't get too caught up in the competition part of it.

Doug K

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I used to shoot CAS. It was a lot of fun back then, I'm not sure where it's at now. I started out shooting traditional because I figured that it was where the 'spirit of the game' was at. I kept losing to guys who were shootign super light .38 special loads when I was shooting my .45's with 250 gr bullets at 900fps; y'know the way it really was! I got sixk of it and swithed to black powder cartridge class. It was alots of fun, shooting a pair of 1872 Open Tops and an 1860 Henry, all chambered for .45 S&W with 245gr bullets launced by a case full of FFg, The 10 ga coach gun with hammers drew lots of attention, too! Then, the guys who couldn't win in the tradtional or modern clas started coming to the BPC class, shooting their .38's loaded with half a case (or less) of Pyrodex and the rest full of filler, like Cream of Wheat. They were almost as fast as they were shooting the smokless classes. It got to be not as much fun, as I felt like I was playing a different game than 90% of the rest of the guys there. I ended up selling off my CAS guns for the most part. i still like that style of gun and actually could compete anytime as I've got a few SxS shotguns, a few lever actions and plenty of single action revolvers. who knows, I may get th eitch and try it again sometime. it is a fun way to spend a Sunday, as long as you don't get too caught up in the competition part of it.

Doug K
    Even back then, not every gunfighter chose stopping power over speed. I have read that Wild [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bill Hickok carried a .32 for the same tactical advantage[/FONT]. The truth is I have not gotten to the point of even considering that I might actually become competitive. Yesterday's event seemed more about a bunch of guys (and a couple of gals) sharing a common intrest, and making things go bang! :D

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    SPIRIT of the game, if I here that again I think my hair will self ignite. SASS lost me as a member because they would not settle this debate. Slow hand is spot on, one thing that fluffs my guff is you have one or two guys who travel around and shoot in every state championship trying to build there rep. for endorsements or a tv gig. I feel you should live in the state then show your stuff at the national shoot. Hell SASS is losing members so fast they developed a WILD BUNCH (THE MOVIE) division to bring in 1911 shooters. NCOWS seems to be the way to go, right now it does'nt seem to be so proffit driven. KATIE WOULD'A WANTED IT THAT AWAY.......

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    SPIRIT of the game, if I here that again I think my hair will self ignite. SASS lost me as a member because they would not settle this debate. Slow hand is spot on, one thing that fluffs my guff is you have one or two guys who travel around and shoot in every state championship trying to build there rep. for endorsements or a tv gig. I feel you should live in the state then show your stuff at the national shoot. Hell SASS is losing members so fast they developed a WILD BUNCH (THE MOVIE) division to bring in 1911 shooters. NCOWS seems to be the way to go, right now it does'nt seem to be so proffit driven. KATIE WOULD'A WANTED IT THAT AWAY.......
    I'm lisening. Tell me about NCOWS.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I don't know a bunch about NCOWS but I think they are more historically authrntic, less competition driven. More money to play, but they are more stringent on outfits and guns. the do allow you to use ANY period correct firearms, including double actions. Realize that most of the older Double actions like S&W's, Colts, and M&H's were not like shooting today's D/A's. Their trigger pulls were longer and heavier and honestly, most folks can shoot a S/A as fast or faster than an original D/A from teh pre-1900 period.

Here is their site:
    http://www.ncows.org/

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I don't know a bunch about NCOWS but I think they are more historically authrntic, less competition driven. More money to play, but they are more stringent on outfits and guns. the do allow you to use ANY period correct firearms, including double actions. Realize that most of the older Double actions like S&W's, Colts, and M&H's were not like shooting today's D/A's. Their trigger pulls were longer and heavier and honestly, most folks can shoot a S/A as fast or faster than an original D/A from teh pre-1900 period.

Here is their site:
    http://www.ncows.org/
    Looks pretty cool, but they don't have any groups near me. SASS, on the other hand, has one club 45 minutes from me and another that is 20 minutes
    away. Besides I really don't want to have to get that into period outfits before I can join in. Heck, I don't even have a cowboy hat, so far.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'm a CAS shooter. The thing about SASS is that it is essentially IPSC for cowboy guns, if you get yourself wrapped up in the "by dammit! that's the way it was and that's the way we should shoot and no little cartridges, loads, action jobs...." you aren't going to have much fun. What SASS can be, is a good group of guys and gals getting together and casually competing. Sure, you'll get the folks who wanna be numero uno and do what it takes, don't talk a lot unless its about themselves and generally miss the point. Yes, you won't beat them and to that I say, so what?

I go to have fun, shoot against those that I'm generally equivalent to and try to improve, but mostly, just have a bunch of fun and dress goofy.

Honestly, I don't see how you can't have fun shooting single action pistols, leverguns and old timey shotguns. Seriously.

I shoot in the Southern end of the state at Thunder Valley & Pleasant Valley and occasionally in KY at Knob Creek. These clubs are canted a little more differently than Cutter's Raiders, they are more towards going fast and cater more to the shooters.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I'm a CAS shooter. The thing about SASS is that it is essentially IPSC for cowboy guns, if you get yourself wrapped up in the "by dammit! that's the way it was and that's the way we should shoot and no little cartridges, loads, action jobs...." you aren't going to have much fun. What SASS can be, is a good group of guys and gals getting together and casually competing. Sure, you'll get the folks who wanna be numero uno and do what it takes, don't talk a lot unless its about themselves and generally miss the point. Yes, you won't beat them and to that I say, so what?

I go to have fun, shoot against those that I'm generally equivalent to and try to improve, but mostly, just have a bunch of fun and dress goofy.

Honestly, I don't see how you can't have fun shooting single action pistols, leverguns and old timey shotguns. Seriously.

I shoot in the Southern end of the state at Thunder Valley & Pleasant Valley and occasionally in KY at Knob Creek. These clubs are canted a little more differently than Cutter's Raiders, they are more towards going fast and cater more to the shooters.
    I'm not clear. Which group goes faster, and caters more to the shooters?

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'm not clear. Which group goes faster, and caters more to the shooters?

The clubs down South tend to provide stages that are more straight forward and tend to cater to the shooters who like that sort of thing (speed over gaming if you will). I've not actually shot at Cutter's, but from what I understand they have a very neat town set up with elaborate stages.

Hope that helps.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    The clubs down South tend to provide stages that are more straight forward and tend to cater to the shooters who like that sort of thing (speed over gaming if you will). I've not actually shot at Cutter's, but from what I understand they have a very neat town set up with elaborate stages.

Hope that helps.
    Yes, that does help me understand what you were saying. They do have a very neat town set up, and from what I have seen it is more about the total experience with most of those guys, rather than being just about speed.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    I-65 south exit 50 east Second lite goright (behind T/A truckstop) is Tonto Rim. This is my cas one stop shop. There is a room in the back with all the bargins from hats to holsters. Check them out,pard.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I could never get into it.

My biggest problem is the way the SASS runs their club. You have to adhere to THEIR fantasy version of the old west, and If you try to mix in any reality or historical facts they go bat-**** on you.

There was a point that I was seriously considering getting into cowboy shooting. The official SASS rules state that anything made 1899 or before is "period accurate" for their competitions. That said, just go on over to "the wire" and ask about using a C96 / Bergman / Borchardt for SASS competitions and see how long it takes them to pour all over you and start calling you names. ;)

Last edited:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I could never get into it.

My biggest problem is the way the SASS runs their club. You have to adhere to THEIR fantasy version of the old west, and If you try to mix in any reality or historical facts they go bat-**** on you.

There was a point that I was seriously considering getting into cowboy shooting. The official SASS rules state that anything made 1899 or before is "period accurate" for their competitions. That said, just go on over to "the wire" and ask about using a C96 / Bergman / Borchardt for SASS competitions and see how long it takes them to pour all over you and start calling you names. ;)
    I guess if you want to shoot "period accurate" autos SASS is not for you. They don't have categories for cannons or bows and arrows either.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I-65 south exit 50 east Second lite goright (behind T/A truckstop) is Tonto Rim. This is my cas one stop shop. There is a room in the back with all the bargins from hats to holsters. Check them out,pard.
    That is a little ways off my usual path, but if I get down that way, I will check it out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As soon as you introduce a timer, keep score, and have prizes available based on performance, the "spirit of the game" is on a death spiral. People who feel the need to "win" at something will eventually become the dominant force in the actual competition.

If the spirit of the game is really important to you, it shouldn't matter what the others are doing or if you are "competitive." It should be about the experience you have doing your thing.

Top Bottom