• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have been using this website as a guide...

Keeping Level 1 bags in vehicles. Level 3 bags in house and camper.

Never saw the need for a Level 2 bag but may add a 2nd bag to those in the vehicles to bring them up to level 2 as an add on bag.

Anyway.

My question is....when building for a couple, how much redundancy would you consider too much. When I talk about redundancy, I mean in the Level 3 bags at the house and in the camper.

For example, do we really need to carry 2 emergency radios (crankable types, we will have 2 ham HTs)? 2 compasses? 2 nail clippers? 2 field knives (already have 2 multi tools) ? etc?

How redundant are you when building out for 2 or more people?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I have been using this website as a guide...

Keeping Level 1 bags in vehicles. Level 3 bags in house and camper.

Never saw the need for a Level 2 bag but may add a 2nd bag to those in the vehicles to bring them up to level 2 as an add on bag.

Anyway.

My question is....when building for a couple, how much redundancy would you consider too much. When I talk about redundancy, I mean in the Level 3 bags at the house and in the camper.

For example, do we really need to carry 2 emergency radios (crankable types, we will have 2 ham HTs)? 2 compasses? 2 nail clippers? 2 field knives (already have 2 multi tools) ? etc?

How redundant are you when building out for 2 or more people?
    Depends on the item really. Knife? Yes on 2. Nail clippers? Not so much. Depends entirely on how much it will be used/scenario if #1 is broke.

I need to do a hard eval of all mine. I'm also trying to incorporate very light packs for the kids.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I would kind of lean towards redundancy as you can always shed extra items along the way. There are just too many What Ifs you cannot predict.

WHAT IF:

You are not together when it is time to bug out and you both must be independent for a period of time? You must separate for a period of time during your travel.

One of you is injured (or worse) and you two can only proceed with one bag.

You need something to barter with and having a redundant item gives you something to trade. Or simply help someone unprepared.

Of course there is always the two is one, one is none, if something breaks or is lost. Also imagine a bag failure of a broken shoulder strap or critical buckle requiring significant weight reduction

Theft, loss, confiscation, or destruction of a bag or items is always a concern. You need to hide/cache one bag while you evaluate an unfamiliar area you enter into fearing the above.

There is a lot of logic to shared loads and reduced weight eliminating redundant items. Cover more distance with lighter loads and accommodate varying fitness abilities. IF you take this approach have a very good checklist in both bags so you can quickly consolidate two partial bags into one complete bag without missing something under stress. A good checklist would also let you start with two full bags, cover some distance and evaluate the situation, and then carefully shed/share items.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Don’t forget to pack a comfort item/toy. Also a distraction such as a game/toy that will keep them occupied while you are doing stuff to survive.
    For me? A book and tea bags.

My bugout bag's first item is shelter. There is a hammock, tarp, and insulation. My battle plan is to not do battle.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    My thinking is ...

In the house and camper level 3 bags, either I am there (highly likely in camper, not so much in home bags) so I take the heavy bag and she takes the level 3 redundancy items. If I am not there, she takes the heavy bag.

In the worst case scenario I am planning for, she would have to leave the house and I would have to get to where she is.

I go back and forth on this which is why I started the thread. Tent for example, only need one, but she doesn't have the hand dexterity I do so would I out a smaller 1 person tent in her pack and carry a 2 person in mine?

Kinda fishing for what others are doing .

My initial thoughts are level 1 items fully redundant in both packs with other add ins maybe not so much, but then I am like do we really need 2 water filters or collapsible canteens? Probably not.

I am prone to overthinking.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Bug out bags seem to have evolved some. Early on they seemed more centered on leaving where you were and going somewhere else. A question I used to ask is where they were going.

Last edited:

Overlander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2021
    Indiana
    I like the two is one, one is none idea for important items (shelter/fire/water/protection). After that I’d put together a kit based off planned length of use for your area and the season.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Just remember to leave some space to put things. Don't account for every cubed inch of compartment space.

I use milk crates more than packs for long term items. Camping supplies/base camp gear is easy to stack in cubes. Very useful cubes. So is small amounts of split wood I might add.

Med kits (trauma based) in every vehicle daily so that's check. Also a small bag of pocket items stays. (Lighter, light, knife, shemagh, bottle of water).

The 1 bag I'd akin to lvl 3 is "basecamp". A heavier pack that is shelter and longer term survival gear such as noaa radio, water purification systems, special tools, etc. Not a pleasant one to saddle.

2 packs that are designed to attach to plate carrier are more like lvl 1. Bare bones survival kit. Keeps you from not dying. But not for long.

And a bag full of empty bags. Decent zipper bags accumulated from years. They'll fill quickly full of TP and beans when the time comes.

Edit: We are a family of 5. Adjust portions accordingly.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom