• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    … but I keep seeing in the classy’s “you pay for transfer”. Now, I was under the impression that to “transfer” you would need to have it registered. Since Indiana does not have any “registration”, what is it they think they’re doing? Or am I completely wrong here?

Is this to have the buyer run a 4473 at a gun shop? Because you’re not “transferring” anything with that.

Just one of those 2am “what the hell” things.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    But that’s not a transfer unless they’re an ffl getting it off their books. And if they are an ffl why would they make someone pay to fill out a 4473?

Edit: or is this another one of those misconceptions that a 4473 is a registry and filling one out transfers that firearm to you?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    But that’s not a transfer unless they’re an ffl getting it off their books. And if they are an ffl why would they make someone pay to fill out a 4473?

Edit: or is this another one of those misconceptions that a 4473 is a registry and filling one out transfers that firearm to you?
    It's really no different than ordering a gun online, having it shipped to your ffl, filling out the 4473 and taking possession of the gun.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    … but I keep seeing in the classy’s “you pay for transfer”. Now, I was under the impression that to “transfer” you would need to have it registered. Since Indiana does not have any “registration”, what is it they think they’re doing? Or am I completely wrong here?

Is this to have the buyer run a 4473 at a gun shop? Because you’re not “transferring” anything with that.

Just one of those 2am “what the hell” things.
    IANAL, but going the 4473 route shows the firearm no longer in possession of the seller and that it didn’t go into the possession of a prohibited possessor.

It temporarily transfers to the FFL, then to the buyer.

Seller makes the call here with the terms. Anywhere from “Cash? Cool!!” to “need to see drivers license, LTCH, do a 4473, and I only take crisp $20s and don’t forget the cheeseburger surcharge.”

Note to self: remember the cheeseburger surcharge if I ever sell a gun.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    IANAL, but going the 4473 route shows the firearm no longer in possession of the seller and that it didn’t go into the possession of a prohibited possessor.

Seller makes the call here with the terms. Anywhere from “Cash? Cool!!” to “need to see drivers license, LTCH, do a 4473, and I only take crisp $20s and don’t forget the cheeseburger surcharge.”

I completely understand it’s the sellers right to demand a handy if they do choose. Just wondering what the thought process is here. Part of that deals with the new “rule” they want to implement that makes anyone selling or trading a dealer by their new distorted interpretation. Keeping records (bos etc) seems like that could make you an easy target.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I completely understand it’s the sellers right to demand a handy if they do choose. Just wondering what the thought process is here. Part of that deals with the new “rule” they want to implement that makes anyone selling or trading a dealer by their new distorted interpretation. Keeping records (bos etc) seems like that could make you an easy target.
    Ah, the “engaged in the business” ever changing definition trap.

Cheeseburger surcharge is still on the table.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Could be. I don’t imagine it would take much to run a query on how many guns John Doe bought/sold in 2023 and then take action accordingly.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

That's how I've always interpreted this seller's condition. It's similar to buying a firearm online with it being shipped to a local FFL for transfer to the buyer. The seller is doing a CYA to prevent from being accused of having sold a firearm to a "prohibited" person. Seller will ship it to the FFL of buyer's choice who can take possession after passing a 4473 NICS and paying the FFL's transfer fee . . . typically in the $20 - $25 range.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

If a private party sale goes through a FFL with a 4473 I believe that the FFL is required to log the firearm into his books from the seller and then out to the purchaser. So they are "getting it off their books".

Top Bottom