• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Over 12,000 Catholic churches applied for PPP loans and over 9,000 received money. Billions of dollars going to all churches instead of small businesses.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/catholic-churches-paycheck-protection-program-12000-applied-9000-got/

Churches employ lots of people, so in essence they are small businesses.

That said, I would not want my church to take .gov money, particularly because .gov will be able to set conditions and terms around loan forgiveness.

It's not hard to envision a scenario where the government says, something like, "if you you don't sanction gay weddings, you won't get your loans forgiven."

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Churches employ lots of people, so in essence they are small businesses.

That said, I would not want my church to take .gov money, particularly because .gov will be able to set conditions and terms around loan forgiveness.

It's not hard to envision a scenario where the government says, something like, "if you you don't sanction gay weddings, you won't get your loans forgiven."

I was thinking along the same lines. I realize they employ people (who pay income taxes), but .gov money rarely, if ever comes without strings attached, no matter what they claim.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Seems to me the Catholic church is a huge, huge business. I'm not sure they should get money meant for small businesses.
    Is every McDonalds getting money?

But the "Catholic Church" is not one entity. They are all sub-dividing into lots of smaller "biz" per say. And even then its further sub-divided.

You have the dioceses of nwi which is a biz.
    But then you have smaller biz who belong to the dioceses as well. Each with it's own church bldg and/or school as well.

As for mcd. That depends if it's a corporate or franchise.
    You can OWN a single mcd and thus you are a small biz.
    Or you could own several and may or may not be a small biz.
    Mcd Corp does own some locations those would not be small biz

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    But the "Catholic Church" is not one entity. They are all sub-dividing into lots of smaller "biz" per say. And even then its further sub-divided.

You have the dioceses of nwi which is a biz.
    But then you have smaller biz who belong to the dioceses as well. Each with it's own church bldg and/or school as well.

As for mcd. That depends if it's a corporate or franchise.
    You can OWN a single mcd and thus you are a small biz.
    Or you could own several and may or may not be a small biz.
    Mcd Corp does own some locations those would not be small biz

I'm sure you are legally right. But McDonalds is a huge company. When you buy McDonalds stock you are buying stock in the huge company. It just seems wrong somehow. All the little pieces are part of a big company.
    Same for the Catholic church, most people have no idea just how rich they are. That is made up of all the individual churches. Same idea, which again is all legally proper I am sure but it doesn't feel right to me.
    I guess my concept of a small business is an independent small business not a piece of a huge organization.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I agree with you that it does not feel/sound right.
    However let me focus on McDonalds.

If you buy McDonald stock you are buying into the corporation that actually owns the McD brand name and just the LAND that each of those restaurants are on.

McD corporation DOES NOT own the buildings or those employees that work at the fast food joint.

Those are franchise own.
    If you have (making this number up since I really dont k ow the number anymore) 100k you can buy a mcd license and build a mcd building in order to sell their stuff. You will own the building but NOT the land it's own. You pay "rent" to the corporation for that land and you can only sell their stuff.

But you are a small biz.
    You have maybe 25 to 30 employees working 2 shifts.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm sure you are legally right. But McDonalds is a huge company. When you buy McDonalds stock you are buying stock in the huge company. It just seems wrong somehow. All the little pieces are part of a big company.
    Same for the Catholic church, most people have no idea just how rich they are. That is made up of all the individual churches. Same idea, which again is all legally proper I am sure but it doesn't feel right to me.
    I guess my concept of a small business is an independent small business not a piece of a huge organization.

Small Business Definition: How Exactly the SBA Defines a Small Business

The overall goal of the SBA is to promote small businesses, which account for 99.9% of all businesses in the United States. A 15-person consulting firm might not have the leverage of a large consulting firm like Deloitte, but the smaller company still has a right to be in business.

“The focus is to encourage small business,” said Bussey. “The idea is ‘Let’s grow these small businesses.’ Let’s help them,” she said.

A size standard is defined as the largest amount a business can have in either revenue or number of employees to be considered a small business. These values are based on many different factors, such as how much competition exists in an industry, startup costs, average firm size in a particular industry, barriers to entry and firm distribution by size. Other factors include market trends, changes in technology and how the industry has performed in previous years.

Industries within a certain sector are given a code by the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS), the national standard for classifying businesses to collect and analyze data about the U.S. economy. For example, the NAICS code for Hydroelectric Power Generation is 221111, while Highway, Street and Bridge Construction is 237310.

How the SBA determines a business size: Number of employees and sales
    Each industry with a NAICS code has a size standard in the SBA’s Table of Small Business Size Standards. For example, the size standard for Hydroelectric Power Generation is 500 employees, while the size standard for Highway, Street and Bridge Construction is weighed by annual receipts, at $36.5 million.

As long as a business meets the sizing standard within its industry, it is considered a small business.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm sure you are legally right. But McDonalds is a huge company. When you buy McDonalds stock you are buying stock in the huge company.

MD's is a huge company that owns restaurants and sells its system and name to thousands of smaller companies.

It just seems wrong somehow. All the little pieces are part of a big company.

This is where you go wrong. These are small businesses that buy the the MD's system and use of the name. Md's does not own them. Just try collecting a debt of a franchisee from MD's and you will learn they are independent...

See red above...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I agree with you that it does not feel/sound right.
    However let me focus on McDonalds.

If you buy McDonald stock you are buying into the corporation that actually owns the McD brand name and just the LAND that each of those restaurants are on.

McD corporation DOES NOT own the buildings or those employees that work at the fast food joint.

Those are franchise own.
    If you have (making this number up since I really dont k ow the number anymore) 100k you can buy a mcd license and build a mcd building in order to sell their stuff. You will own the building but NOT the land it's own. You pay "rent" to the corporation for that land and you can only sell their stuff.

But you are a small biz.
    You have maybe 25 to 30 employees working 2 shifts.

There are MD's that are wholly owned by MD...

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    A020DP5.jpg

Bruce/Katelin Jenner is governor of Michigan?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    There are MD's that are wholly owned by MD...

Yep. They do own some stores, but the number has been shrinking over the years. This is from Jan. 2019.

The company operates fewer of its own restaurants. McDonald’s over the past several years has sold more of its restaurants to franchisees, and now operates less than 5% of its 14,000 domestic locations. That’s a common strategy at many restaurant chains, but it at least gives off the perception that the company doesn’t understand the dynamics of operations like it once did.

https://www.restaurantbusinessonlin...mcdonalds-franchise-dispute-why-its-important

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Did not know they were down that low. The new store in Carmel at Market District was started by MD, made successful, then sold last summer. May be their new growth strategy...

Seems like any new food place around here is packed for a while and then settles down. Maybe they just wanted to profit from the initial rush - if that even is a thing for a new McD.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    OK... That's enough!

Comparing the Catholic church and McDonald's? Really??

I don't know how this got started but it's flat out disrespectful. I know I'm not just speaking for myself here when I say this is sacrilegious and absolutely crosses the line. You guys need to clean up your act.

You know dang well that Catholics ain't got nothing on the Big Mac. It's insulting to think so. There's just no comparison.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I haven’t really wanted to go here, but yes, I think opportunistic politicians are making the most of this pandemic in order to create a larger and more dependent welfare state, and it’s truly sickening. Of course people won’t wanna actually go back to work when they’ll be making less than they do now to sit on their asses at home. Anyone who tries to convince you that us, our children, and our grandchildren aren’t going to be paying for this for decades to come is full of bull****. Disgusting and sad.

Control Freaks of all varieties - governmental or not - are getting their validation from the Covid crisis. It's like they wandered up on a sunny green pasture full of people wearing bumble-bee costumes, just like them, and they are spilling a whole can of nuts over it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    OK... That's enough!

Comparing the Catholic church and McDonald's? Really??

I don't know how this got started but it's flat out disrespectful. I know I'm not just speaking for myself here when I say this is sacrilegious and absolutely crosses the line. You guys need to clean up your act.

You know dang well that Catholics ain't got nothing on the Big Mac. It's insulting to think so. There's just no comparison.

they are in cahoots, the filet 'o fish was added to the menu due to the drop in business seen during Lent.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom