• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    My father lives in a county in Florida with MANY confirmed cases of Covid 19. He is 89 with COPD, less than 50% lung function, a heart condition, and he is on oxygen. If he gets this virus, he is a gonner. His younger, perfectly healthy wife keeps making excuses to go out in public. Today she went to the doctor’s office for an annual check-up. My father tried to talk her out of it but she said she wanted to go. The day before, she went to five different stores on a hunt for toilet paper. My relatives have offered to do all of their shopping for them and leave it on the front porch so they don’t have to leave the house. His wife said “I am perfectly capable of doing my own shopping”, and refuses help (other than calling me to ship TP from Indiana). At this point I am thinking she is trying to kill him. Do you think I am overreacting?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Can we at least have the debate? Kill the economy for the whole country and quite possibly our way of life or a percentage will die form the unchecked virus? Bankrupt millions of small and medium businesses and individuals as well, the list of financial disasters is too long to post. Let us have the debate then let our representatives vote on it. We just seem to have defaulted to damn the torpedoes, we are beating this no matter the cost.

Lest one one think this post callous, we make these types of decisions all the time. For example we think nothing of the dead from car crashes because the economic good is greater than the lives that could be saved with a 10 mph speed limit. Everything is a trade off of good and bad, it is just a choice between who does what suffering...

OK. How will a soft travel restriction kill the economy and possibly our way of life? A soft travel restriction only stops unnecessary travel.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    My father lives in a county in Florida with MANY confirmed cases of Covid 19. He is 89 with COPD, less than 50% lung function, a heart condition, and he is on oxygen. If he gets this virus, he is a gonner. His younger, perfectly healthy wife keeps making excuses to go out in public. Today she went to the doctor’s office for an annual check-up. My father tried to talk her out of it but she said she wanted to go. The day before, she went to five different stores on a hunt for toilet paper. My relatives have offered to do all of their shopping for them and leave it on the front porch so they don’t have to leave the house. His wife said “I am perfectly capable of doing my own shopping”, and refuses help (other than calling me to ship TP from Indiana). At this point I am thinking she is trying to kill him. Do you think I am overreacting?

If I was there and she left the house, I'd lock her out and consider the house under "protective" quarantine.
    That's all ****ed up.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Missed this gem from Dr. Fouchi in today's press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd1SNjOUEAw

Have a great night INGO and please get rest. It is the most valuable thing you can do right now for yourself. 8 hours! There are tremendous peer-reviewed studies supporting sleep and the body's ability to fight a viral infection.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6400544/pdf/JEM_20181169.pdf
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3256323/pdf/424_2011_Article_1044.pdf
    https://journals.lww.com/psychosoma...hances_the_Human_Antibody_Response_to.17.aspx
    For the visual learners like me: https://youtu.be/qqZYEgREuZ8?t=114

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Kinda sounds like her actions aren't the smartest. She would have to get contaminated herself to bring it home so I don't think it sounds intentional, just irrational.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    OK. How will a soft travel restriction kill the economy and possibly our way of life? A soft travel restriction only stops unnecessary travel.
    I will tell you that IngoMike and I are on the opposite sides of the "lOckDoWn" debate, but it is absolutely going to kill the economy. Are you going out to eat anytime soon? Nobody is. The restaurant business is dead. The hotel business is dead. Airlines, all manner of service type stuff, erased. This is not for two weeks, unless the miracle drugs are tested and proven and distributed. This could be for a long time. If there is no drug we live in fear of infection for a long time, maybe a year. If there is a miracle cure we have still already destroyed many lives but many can recover. This is not meant to be fear mongering, but if you haven't thought this through you need to..
    My argument comes as two parts; valuing humanity more than the economy, and actually having a significant portion of humanity left to restart the economy.
    This is probably the difference between me and those that don't want the shutdown, actual deaths from infection.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Kinda sounds like her actions aren't the smartest. She would have to get contaminated herself to bring it home so I don't think it sounds intentional, just irrational.

She doesn’t have to get it, she can just bring the virus back with her. Besides, she has already said that she is not worried about getting it because she is as “healthy as a horse”.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Can we at least have the debate? Kill the economy for the whole country and quite possibly our way of life or a percentage will die form the unchecked virus? Bankrupt millions of small and medium businesses and individuals as well, the list of financial disasters is too long to post. Let us have the debate then let our representatives vote on it. We just seem to have defaulted to damn the torpedoes, we are beating this no matter the cost.

Lest one one think this post callous, we make these types of decisions all the time. For example we think nothing of the dead from car crashes because the economic good is greater than the lives that could be saved with a 10 mph speed limit. Everything is a trade off of good and bad, it is just a choice between who does what suffering...
    I'm fine with callous. I do callous very well. I'm wondering if our different outlook is from a difference of opinion of final dead and the resulting harm to the economy because the people just aren't there? The numbers have been talked about ad-nauseam in the thread and I don't wish to rehash them necessarily but I believe the economic reality is worse by letting it go.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

No. If he dies because she drags that into the house, I hope it tortures her soul for the rest of eternity. She's a selfish Bi***!

If I was there and she left the house, I'd lock her out and consider the house under "protective" quarantine.
    That's all ****ed up.
    Truth!

I will tell you that IngoMike and I are on the opposite sides of the "lOckDoWn" debate, but it is absolutely going to kill the economy. Are you going out to eat anytime soon? Nobody is. The restaurant business is dead. The hotel business is dead. Airlines, all manner of service type stuff, erased. This is not for two weeks, unless the miracle drugs are tested and proven and distributed. This could be for a long time. If there is no drug we live in fear of infection for a long time, maybe a year. If there is a miracle cure we have still already destroyed many lives but many can recover. This is not meant to be fear mongering, but if you haven't thought this through you need to..
    My argument comes as two parts; valuing humanity more than the economy, and actually having a significant portion of humanity left to restart the economy.
    This is probably the difference between me and those that don't want the shutdown, actual deaths from infection.

This sounds crass, but it is not intended as such. So we lose 6% of the population, consisting mainly those of retirement age and the infirmed; all of those who are more likely to be a burden on the economy anyway. Will that really be a large loss? On a cultural scale, absolutely. We need the wisdom of those folks to help us be more human. But those dying are not those that will be here in 20 years anyway. I know it sounds cold, but those are the facts. Now if this was a bug that was killing primarily babies and children and we're looking at a legitimate threat to the viability of our species, than that would be a different story and I'd be behind this to keep all of our kids alive. But the kids are the ones that so far are faring well so I think this is doing more harm than good.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    I'm fine with callous. I do callous very well. I'm wondering if our different outlook is from a difference of opinion of final dead and the resulting harm to the economy because the people just aren't there? The numbers have been talked about ad-nauseam in the thread and I don't wish to rehash them necessarily but I believe the economic reality is worse by letting it go.

We are not just talking about people dying from the coronavirus, we are talking about the hospital system becoming overloaded to the point that it cannot treat all of the coronavirus patients nor can it perform necessary surgeries, deliver babies, treat patients with gun shot wounds, etc. The argument about letting it go is not an option as you may as well cancel all other treatments and treat only coronavirus patients and decide which ones die and which ones live.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    And something anyone with MS Word and a printer could easily mock up and print for themselves at home.

because the **** that has managed to stay open will then close, and then there will be NOTHING. This whole thing has reached the point of sheeple ridiculousness.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Just for clarity/clarification, if either one of you is accusing me of lying about this, well, one or both can and may FATWO. If not, carry on.

Not accusing you of that at all sir. Only saying that now that the photo is online, I can make one up for myself too.

Hell, my ex got one from her company and she works in a leasing office for an apartment complex. Her office is 500 yards from the front door of her apartment. She can walk to work yet they felt the need to give her one.

Apparently today a lot of corporations decided it was a good day to hand out hall passes for some reason. That doesn't necessarily mean total lock down is imminent. (Although I think we will see it in the next few days.)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    This sounds crass, but it is not intended as such. So we lose 6% of the population, consisting mainly those of retirement age and the infirmed; all of those who are more likely to be a burden on the economy anyway. Will that really be a large loss? On a cultural scale, absolutely. We need the wisdom of those folks to help us be more human. But those dying are not those that will be here in 20 years anyway. I know it sounds cold, but those are the facts. Now if this was a bug that was killing primarily babies and children and we're looking at a legitimate threat to the viability of our species, than that would be a different story and I'd be behind this to keep all of our kids alive. But the kids are the ones that so far are faring well so I think this is doing more harm than good.

This sounds crass, but at 6% of the elderly and informed, sorry bout ya, bye. But the thing is I don't think that is how the numbers will add up. I think as CountryBoy just described we will overwhelm the system with a quick raid on the hospitals and no one will get the proper care as we have to try to save those that shouldn't even need saving, at least yet. Flatten the curve and all that. Have you watched the videos from the places in Italy that did not shut down? The hospitals are overwhelmed and they are greatly regretting going about business as usual.

Oldgunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2018
    GPS signal lost
    Just for clarity/clarification, if either one of you is accusing me of lying about this, well, one or both can and may FATWO. If not, carry on.
    No wasn't trying to call you a liar. A paper like that is just the sort of thing that I would expect from middle management at any company (including my place of work): well meaning, but ultimately carrying little/no authority.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    No wasn't trying to call you a liar. A paper like that is just the sort of thing that I would expect from middle management at any company (including my place of work): well meaning, but ultimately carrying little/no authority.

Not accusing you of that at all sir. Only saying that now that the photo is online, I can make one up for myself too.

Hell, my ex got one from her company and she works in a leasing office for an apartment complex. Her office is 500 yards from the front door of her apartment. She can walk to work yet they felt the need to give her one.

Apparently today a lot of corporations decided it was a good day to hand out hall passes for some reason. That doesn't necessarily mean total lock down is imminent. (Although I think we will see it in the next few days.)
    Noted, and apologies.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom